Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

9 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I’m not sure if it is technically a hazy but it tastes good.

Us home brewers dont need to be technically correct unless you want to brew a beer to style for yourself or for a competition, there is a lot of restrictions.

As @Graubart says, be a free brewing spirit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hefeweizen w Mandarina Bavaria... W3068 a beautiful thing (thanks @Greeny1525229549 Greeny for yeast revitalisation coaching!)  And am very much thinking this beer is actually much nicer out of the bottle.... the keg was great don't get me wrong... but bottle is just one step better 🤔

Few hop floaties in this one... musta been the last bottle out of the FV ; )

Commando does better for flavour but does mean you can get some floaties... tho the earlier bottles had less.

image.thumb.png.bbb258f921b5aa7e8d4e127ed268635b.png

@Tone boy TB another different glass for you mate - I especially got out "the Gutmann" haha!  ; )

Another fine vessel @Graubart !! Good looking brew. I’ll have to brew one of those weeties one day...

cheers to you fella 🍻🍻

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

There's something about Gladfield Malts.

This is my best work ever. So delicious.  True to style Pilsner. I haven't lagered her but who cares. Clean crisp little baby this one. The malt. Beergasm for me.

20210207_225942.jpg

I am only a lowly extract brewer, this Diablo IPA came with a Mr Beer Craft Kit I bought on clearance from a BCF store foe $39.95, I got 11xPET bottles ( now 10) I didn't CC or add anything.

And it is good so far, I have since done a few others with hops etc & looking forward to tasting them as well as letting this batch mature a bit longer.

One day I may venture into the world of AG etc, but for the moment I get a lot of pleasure being able to make my own beer & it's a damn lot cheaper.

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am only a lowly extract brewer, this Diablo IPA came with a Mr Beer Craft Kit I bought on clearance from a BCF store foe $39.95, I got 11xPET bottles ( now 10) I didn't CC or add anything.

And it is good so far, I have since done a few others with hops etc & looking forward to tasting them as well as letting this batch mature a bit longer.

One day I may venture into the world of AG etc, but for the moment I get a lot of pleasure being able to make my own beer & it's a damn lot cheaper.

Cheers.

Youre never lowly in any brewing mate. Its all up to the individual.  Ive decided to brew my beers with grain. I had a long journey with kit beers and i was never happy.

The first grain beer i decided to do, was so so unbelievable, i didnt think i made that beer. As im learning the process its easy. Beers are amazing difference. 

Grain brewing is oranges and apples to cans. Brew day is 4 - 5 hours. But you have sixteen beers in-between.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Youre never lowly in any brewing mate. Its all up to the individual.  Ive decided to brew my beers with grain. I had a long journey with kit beers and i was never happy.

The first grain beer i decided to do, was so so unbelievable, i didnt think i made that beer. As im learning the process its easy. Beers are amazing difference. 

Grain brewing is oranges and apples to cans. Brew day is 4 - 5 hours. But you have sixteen beers in-between.  

I'm also in the same boat as CLASSIC, but I agree with you Pale Man.  But you can hop it up and mess aroung with the grain steeping  for not much extra effort and make some really great brews.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers.

I happen to agree with  @Pale Man  with his sendimants.

there is 1 thing i like about the coppers community forum is there is no brew snobs and you can brew it the way you want with out being hassled by the pure
all grain beer snobs  like some other forums they canbe like a boys club and they snigger at a person if they are extract brewer, even though once apon a time
they all started as Kit  & Kilo  moved to  extract then to partial mashes before they  met the ultimate A.G brews.

I also tell you there extract brewing has come a very  long way over te years  which has helped alot of  brewers brew better and the finished product is just as good

Now with All grain brewing the only real difference is between extract and A.G we are doing everything our selves by extracting the sugars and goodness out of the grains
once we get to the boil its exact same process as what the extract brewer will do. so in a sense a A grainer is creating his own extract can.

however  though there is a difference  from extract and a.g with taste etc as Pale man has said.

Personally i dont worry about the cheapness i can make a brew for, i do it becuase i enjoy the process and  what result i get from the end of it
as you said you are getting pleasure in making your own own beer.

the cost of a.g and extract kits are very comparable in costs.   to what you can make (excludes the labour you put in and what gas/electricity you use)

@CLASSIC  Now you dont have to be a a All grain brewer to brew a  all grain  brew, you can always let someone do the hard work for you and the only thing you have to do is pour the brew in the fermenter and  add yeast and dry hops if it calls for that .    These are call fresh wort Kits  . i some times purchase these becuase  sometimes when i am flat out these can be done with in 20 minutes...   at the end of the day your drinking  a A.G brew   and it would be a great way to test the difference between a  extract brew and a All grain brew..

fresh wort kits are not overly expensive depending what you want to ferment   .

most of all enjoy making your brews and sharing to us in what ya making

cheers
Mick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

@PaleMan  @ozdevil  @stquinto   I do totally understand, I guess the only way to approach this is to start looking in to it as a new exercise & assemble a few of the items needed.

I know what a partial mash is, I have crushed grain, steeped & added to a few brews as I have with hops. I use hops with pretty much all brews now.

I guess to say one hasn't got room for extra equipment etc is only an excuse but we all know if you want to you will. Beer Belly, Brewcraft sell wort kits - I will look into it.

I appreciate everyone's input on this & I will start looking around for basic items needed ( beginners kit if you like ) 

@ Gully85 lives near me & we became friends & he has gone all out with AG, Kegging etc.  I don't bother to comment on some of you guys spreadsheets, recipes etc because it is SWAHILI to me. 😀

Thanks for all your comments & help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

@PaleMan  @ozdevil  @stquinto   I do totally understand, I guess the only way to approach this is to start looking in to it as a new exercise & assemble a few of the items needed.

I know what a partial mash is, I have crushed grain, steeped & added to a few brews as I have with hops. I use hops with pretty much all brews now.

I guess to say one hasn't got room for extra equipment etc is only an excuse but we all know if you want to you will. Beer Belly, Brewcraft sell wort kits - I will look into it.

I appreciate everyone's input on this & I will start looking around for basic items needed ( beginners kit if you like ) 

@ Gully85 lives near me & we became friends & he has gone all out with AG, Kegging etc.  I don't bother to comment on some of you guys spreadsheets, recipes etc because it is SWAHILI to me. 😀

Thanks for all your comments & help.

Phil believe it or not as an extract brewer  you may have the basics to get you started with out spending to much and will not cost you a arm and a leg
its called brew in a bag

1 you will need a grain bag/pot liner to place the grain in 9probably the only expense  other then the ingrediats)
2. a 20-30litre pot or what ever size pot ya can get ya hand on
3  ingrediants  (get lhbs to crush your grain fine enough for the biab)
4 mash paddle or spoon

mind you will only be able to do a small a.g  biab  (depending on Pot size and this is a great way to start a journey into A.G Brews and to be honest i would go this way rather then mucking around with Partial mashing

Biab  that i suggested you just do a full volume  brew and forget about the sparging process..  

You also have the perfect tool to learn from thats Gully85 to show you the ropes and walking through recipes

recipes are easy to understand and you should have an idea of recipes as an extract brewer..

But simply mate enjoy brewing whichever way you want i will never criticize or force your hand to go A.G
as thats upto the individual to decide.... 

enjoy Phil

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

This  is the 35litre digi boil

very similar to the  35l brewzilla except it doesnt have the pump and recirc arm and mash tun i think and is perfect for biab for $159 bucks at Kegland

35l-digiboil-1.png

22 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I will probably moving into this slowly, not in a hurry to spend too much ATM. It's good to have options.

exactly spot on  having options and moving slowly into it  the better move mate

i luagh  alot got into brewing during covid  and rushed out brought all in one systems  with little research and are now selling up  as its not for them or brewing for that matter

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I will probably moving into this slowly, not in a hurry to spend too much ATM. It's good to have options.

Slow is good.  Cheeky CPB is good too but maybe too far away. 

But all the same - u can make great beer as the Brewers above say - w KnK n partials hops etc good yeast and so on... without AGraining

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Slow is good.  Cheeky CPB is good too but maybe too far away. 

But all the same - u can make great beer as the Brewers above say - w KnK n partials hops etc good yeast and so on... without AGraining

exactly right  Graubart

as i said in a previous post or topic, this is why i like this forum no one is criticizing anyone really for what method of brewing you choose to do in life

at the end of the day long as beer is made and the individual  that made it likes and enjoys it  doesnt matter.

Some sites think if ya not a All grainer  why should they waste there time on a k&k brewer.

theres encourgement  and then their is those that cant accept any other way but theire own..

yes cheekypeaks are good   but there gear is rather expensive with the nano biabs

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

There's something about Gladfield Malts.

This is my best work ever. So delicious.  True to style Pilsner. I haven't lagered her but who cares. Clean crisp little baby this one. The malt. Beergasm for me.

20210207_225942.jpg

Nice work @Pale Man PM. Glad your really happy with it - what a great result.
What hops you got in that bad boy if you don’t mind sharing? About to embark on a lager myself and looking for some inspiration! 

• Like 1