Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Hi GB,

I have used the Voss Kveik twice now and maybe have been too quick getting it in the keg.

This time I brewed on Saturday (OG 1.058) and and it was 1.012 on Monday and Tuesday. 
Did a quick 24 hour CC and Kegged on Wednesday ( due to a lack of beer emergency)

The beer is good, but I think it would have done better with a bit more time to clean up etc.

Very hazy, the last one was 5 weeks in the keg and did not clear at all, maybe due to the wheat in my recipe.

Blacksands seems to get really clear beers with Kveik..

I do a few extra bottles when I brew and had one last night and I thought it was much better than the Kegged version.

Anyway I think I prefer US-05, but that’s just my experience!

Cheers

James

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, James Lao said:

I do a few extra bottles when I brew and had one last night and I thought it was much better than the Kegged version.

Thanks v much for your ripper feedback James - good stuff.  I will take that all on board.  Think it will need a decent CC before kegging.

And maybe also a bit of time for clean-up prior to that.. not to be rushed.  Except in emergencies of course!!!

Haha yes Beer Emergency - luvyerwork... haha know the feeling... it is a very BBBBBAD feeling...  and must be mitigated with swift incisive brewing, rapid fermentation where possible (and here very much helped by Vossy) and filling of a keg 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Hey there JL - am getting excited about the Kveik quick ferment - but you reckon it does not flocc very well mate?

Did you Cold Crash the feller for a while prior to kegging - guess so if you did the Gelatin hey?

question id like to know as well see some kveik ones on here little bit clearer and some people say hazy as all crap. As long as it taste ok im not worried about haze to much. @BlackSands think he the one we need ask about fluctuations and clarity he uses this yeast with great success.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

question id like to know as well see some kveik ones on here little bit clearer and some people say hazy as all crap. As long as it taste ok im not worried about haze to much. @BlackSands think he the one we need ask about fluctuations and clarity he uses this yeast with great success.

Kveik voss drops like a ton of bricks when it's done.  Terrific flocculation.  I too was concerned about overly hazy brews based on what I'd seen and read elsewhere online but with the usual CC and gelatin the beers generally clear up just like any other.  😎

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Kveik voss drops like a ton of bricks when it's done.  Terrific flocculation.  I too was concerned about overly hazy brews based on what I'd seen and read elsewhere online but with the usual CC and gelatin the beers generally clear up just like any other.  😎

CC for a week then Sandman - something like that - and then you get "the all clear" ?   😛

@James Lao Jimmy maybe the beer emergency just meant you were somewhat in too much of a hurry - but the immediate pressing and desperate need of no JL Brewing product availability was resolved albeit just a tad cloudy : )  Think it is your job now to do same brew with Vossy and do more serious CC to get us closer to Sandman's achieved clarity do you think?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BlackSands said:

thanks mate I haven't used gelatin or anything yet but do enjoy a beer that's been cold crashed will be giving one a crack after my current pilsner put down today

And you have previously said it performs better under pitched?

Edited by jamiek86

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Hoegaarden glass BS? Whats in it fella?

Yeah...   actually had 6 of these glasses at one time.  Not my favourite beer glass but it does have the advantage that it can accommodate the contents of a 500ml flip-top in one pour!

This is a kveik-fermented Brit golden ale with chinook and centennial.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Graubart said:

CC for a week then Sandman - something like that - and then you get "the all clear" ?   😛

@James Lao Jimmy maybe the beer emergency just meant you were somewhat in too much of a hurry - but the immediate pressing and desperate need of no JL Brewing product availability was resolved albeit just a tad cloudy : )  Think it is your job now to do same brew with Vossy and do more serious CC to get us closer to Sandman's achieved clarity do you think?

Yes mate, think I will have to do this in the name of beer science!

At 8 days in the keg it is starting to get way better.

Think I should have left it for another day at brew temp before dropping it too.

That an extended CC would do the job I reckon.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Deja vu: I can't think of a better way to offset the positive calorie-burn benefits of a long sweaty run in the heat of the afternoon sun... 

I put this Voss-fermented brew aside... wasn't quite doing it for me.  I beer modelled on an English Best Bitter but uncharacteristically dosed up with Nelson and Motueka failed to hit the mark.   As is often the case it's now better after another month or so but the expected hop buzz never really happened.  Still, it's guilt-free, cold, and it's beer so....

PostRun2.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

English IPA while watching the last session of India and the poms. Poms showing us how to play the Indian attack.

This beer is my dialed in recipe which I usually do with S04. This one is with the fullers yeast WLP002. Much more sweeter and more body than the S04. A nice beer but S-04 wins for my taste buds.

16125230087287512318876390338008.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, James Lao said:

Think I should have left it for another day at brew temp before dropping it too.

Jimmy.

Now WAIT.

Do not beat yourself up man.  This was a BREWERMERGNCY to not have to suffer from a terrible dose of MegaSwill... you did well BREWER!

Stand Tall!

Next time, a well planned and full inventory of brew should never make that terrible situation happen again? 😮

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

This beer is my dialed in recipe which I usually do with S04. This one is with the fullers yeast WLP002. Much more sweeter and more body than the S04. A nice beer but S-04 wins for my taste buds.

This is festive Greeny - gunna hafta dial into this and have a bit more exploration on the Yeastie Boi front...  I did do the W3068 Wheat vs US05 on the same AG Wort one time and the difference was just amazing and really cool.  I have got some SO4 and you have noted that before it's a goodun... so as things cool down into Autumn... maybe a nice toasty full bodied Ale with SO4 might be the go?😋

Taste test of AG brew #3, my True Blue Pale Ale ver 1.  Just gotta make this one a couple of points darker and maybe a couple of points higher ABV and get up to around 4.2 - 4.4.

Unsung two sachets of Nottingham yeast makes this one taste almost lager-ish.  Was fermented at 18C.

Also going to alter the mash to up to 68.9 C to get more body out of a 60" mash. and have tweaked the Summer hop schedule just slightly in version 2.  The other thing I did with ver 2 was alter the grain mill down from  1.6 mm to 1.19 mm for a slightly finer grist.

True Blue Pale Ale ver 1 resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Taste test of AG brew #3, my True Blue Pale Ale ver 1.  Just gotta make this one a couple of points darker and maybe a couple of points higher ABV and get up to around 4.2 - 4.4.

Unsung two sachets of Nottingham yeast makes this one taste almost lager-ish.  Was fermented at 18C.

Also going to alter the mash to up to 68.9 C to get more body out of a 60" mash. and have tweaked the Summer hop schedule just slightly in version 2.  The other thing I did with ver 2 was alter the grain mill down from  1.6 mm to 1.19 mm for a slightly finer grist.

Beautiful @iBooz2

Luvyerwork  

Will be really cool to see how you develop that True Blue Ale... good stuff... 

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Deja vu: I can't think of a better way to offset the positive calorie-burn benefits of a long sweaty run in the heat of the afternoon sun... 

I put this Voss-fermented brew aside... wasn't quite doing it for me.  I beer modelled on an English Best Bitter but uncharacteristically dosed up with Nelson and Motueka failed to hit the mark.   As is often the case it's now better after another month or so but the expected hop buzz never really happened.  Still, it's guilt-free, cold, and it's beer so....

PostRun2.jpg

BS - You will get tinea if you wear the same socks all the time without washing them ha ha, hopefully you have several pairs of the same and pic's have lied.

Edited by iBooz2

16 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

BS - You will get tinea if you wear the same socks all the time without washing them ha ha, hopefully you have several pairs of the same and pic's have lied.

Just so you don't lose too much sleep over the health of my feet I chose different colour socks today...    😁

IMG20210206171649~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa the latest GB Brewing release:  Summer Ale 🥳

Cloudy 

image.thumb.png.b5646fcc932b28f47103e9f6b02e28e4.png

But not the beer haha!  No Whirlfloc, fishguts, poly pipe, or ground up cows' hooves... no filter even... just normal brewing practices...  schweet lil Betty !?!

Am having a run of similar coloured beers as had a run on Vienna - Munich - Voyager Veloria Schooner malts which are all more in that Amber-ish world 😝

Amazing creamy mouthfeel... wow... yeah... Ch-ch-chang chang (as in Imi Kamoze Hotstepper haha)

• Like 7

Os not lager 3 months in bottle no cold crash think just the tin and BE2 brewed on 25 degrees before had fridge. Not too bad after 3 month aged but still prefer the maltier brews nice if want light alcohol and taste after outside.

20210206_165240.jpg

20210206_165216.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Graubart said:

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa the latest GB Brewing release:  Summer Ale 🥳

Cloudy 

image.thumb.png.b5646fcc932b28f47103e9f6b02e28e4.png

But not the beer haha!  No Whirlfloc, fishguts, poly pipe, or ground up cows' hooves... no filter even... just normal brewing practices...  schweet lil Betty !?!

Am having a run of similar coloured beers as had a run on Vienna - Munich - Voyager Veloria Schooner malts which are all more in that Amber-ish world 😝

Amazing creamy mouthfeel... wow... yeah... Ch-ch-chang chang (as in Imi Kamoze Hotstepper haha)

GB you are the lyrical gangster!!🤣👍

• Haha 2