Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

7 hours ago, Graubart said:

Mate's Barbie... took a few in.... here an old bottle brew AG Pils... they seemed very happy with it... I think the extra time in the bottle helped this baby as well. Cheers

image.thumb.png.89da06612d3facae28b973e376bacedb.png

How long in the bottle? I've been trying to research the optimum aging period for a pilsner

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Graubart said:

Mate's Barbie... took a few in.... here an old bottle brew AG Pils... they seemed very happy with it... I think the extra time in the bottle helped this baby as well. Cheers

image.thumb.png.89da06612d3facae28b973e376bacedb.png

Lovely beer, well done @Graubart GB!!

I’m interested in this too @John E Miller about time in bottle as I’m soon to head into Pilsner territory now that I have temp control!!!! Yes you heard correctly ladies and gentlemen-exciting times at the TB brewhaus. 
Wondering how long to age in the bottle, and does the hop flavor fade over that time in the bottle.

I’ll probably be using saaz in the first one, maybe get a bit adventurous on the second lager and do some newer hops like citra or motueka...

Stay awesome peeps

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John E Miller said:

How long in the bottle? I've been trying to research the optimum aging period for a pilsner

Goodness me.

@Tone boy TB and @John E Miller JEM... Well... 

A while ago I did put some bottles in at 3 deg for three months and they were great.

This one is a "stray" and probs been in the bottle for 6 months.  Great. 

But full bodied - whether that makes a difference or not - dunno.  

I reckon three months very cold is pretty good...  that was in glass... 

I would suggest you make some brews  - and then just trial them as they get older and see if there is a peak there somewhere... 

But I reckon you wanna be keeping them pretty cold - certainly not lying around in the shed at 40 degrees... nice and chilled down... 🤔

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah and now... the announcement we all have been waiting for... Hefeweizen out of the Bottle... keg was just fine... had some excess that went into botts... somehow... Bottle is better... maybe even quite a lot better mmm... and in a nice old Coopers Pickaxe Bottle as well ; )

Some nice tones coming through from the late hop Mandarina Bavaria... dunno if that is de rigueur for HWs but this certainly tastes GREAT 🥳

image.thumb.png.421bdd72b72d4fb3608135d5a18632c5.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 15

20 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Ah and now... the announcement we all have been waiting for... Hefeweizen out of the Bottle... keg was just fine... had some excess that went into botts... somehow... Bottle is better... maybe even quite a lot better mmm... and in a nice old Coopers Pickaxe Bottle as well ; )

Some nice tones coming through from the late hop Mandarina Bavaria... dunno if that is de rigueur for HWs but this certainly tastes GREAT 🥳

Beautiful. 

• Haha 1

@Tone boy @John E Miller my first proper pilsner had 3 weeks in bottle at mid to high 20s too hot yes but that's how hot was where stored. Most of time was in mid 20s with only 3 weeks in fridge so lagered for 3 weeks it was beautiful. Thats probably the minimum time you would want to lager can only get better. Was 86 days pilsner with 1.25 LDM and 250 gram dextrose brewed on 16 degrees so not even proper lager temp. 14 grams coopers kit yeast 60 gram Sazz hop tea after krausen went down 5 day cold crash. bottled cold warmed up by self and carbonated. I was trying one every couple of days after all in fridge at 3 weeks could notice getting better every time had one. they were all drank at 6 week mark at BBQ. Imagine how much better if brewed and carbonated lower? but goes to show can still make decent beer by being outside of the recommended way.

Think Otto said he doesn't notice much difference after 3 month mark? he makes pilsner all time.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Tone boy i think all hop flavour eventually fades especially in bottle at ambient but takes longer once refrigerated. I'd describe my pilsner at 3 weeks in fridge that hop flavour had blended in not so much faded but over longer time cold yes slowly.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

You always have the best beer glasses!

Which are a different thing to beer goggles 🤣

Looks bloody delicious GB. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Ah and now... the announcement we all have been waiting for... Hefeweizen out of the Bottle... keg was just fine... had some excess that went into botts... somehow... Bottle is better... maybe even quite a lot better mmm

Yup very nice looking beer.  How long was it it the bottles for GB? and at what temp during conditioning and lagering stages?  Also what was you bottle priming regime?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

How long was it it the bottles for GB? and at what temp during conditioning and lagering stages?  Also what was you bottle priming regime?

Bottled Hefeweizen mid Dec 2020.  Dubbya 3068 a beautiful thing : )

Ambient secondary ferment mid 20s ish.  Store room.  In box no light.

No lagering - wheat beer - good fresh.  Few weeks bottle conditioned I guess - post 2nd ferment of c. 3 weeks.

Last week - lying down in fridge w a regular roll over so yeast will pour.

Priming - std - Coops 750ml bottle - 2 Coops lollies. 

Fertig.  Nichts mehr.  ; )

Prosit die Herrschaften haha 😆 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 8:40 PM, Tone boy said:

Looks bloody delicious GB. 

Haha TB I will try and find a different Weissbier Glass for next time to change things up a bit ; )

Fortunately there are a few more HW bottles left 🥳

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I seemed to have missed the bit where you asked for my postal address so you could send me one or two 😝

Assuredly I would PM my good brewing mate but sadly they are glass and it would be far too dangerous : (

• Haha 2

Got a Czech Pils here, from the Coopers recipe using 86 day pilsner but with extra light DME. It fermented out @ 13° in a week. After bottling it's been sitting at 21° maturing for a month but still has some noticable home-brew aftertaste to it. Probably have to mature it a bit more

lager.thumb.jpg.8288a527f15d044b3163ce083de5d5d4.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

(that's just half of it maturing)

Very very nice bottles-n-crates set up STQ - looks very good mate!

And some nice swingies as well.... good stuff.  Good luck with the bottle conditioning of the Pils styles.

Do you use Liquid Malt Extracts at all....  Coopers does Light Amber Dark tins 1.5kg from memory... they might help with the Pils/Lager styles?

And also maybe just a thought... "Dubbya 34" 😝 - Fermentis Dry Yeast W34/70 might be worth trying for your Lager/Pils bottom fermenting styles.. might generate less of a HB taste... maybe...  might be worth a try?  And floccs out - clears - very nicely.

Cheers and Good Brewing : )

• Like 1

Hey legends,

Got a quick Kveik brew in with the usual dose of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe.

It’s a hazy beast for sure, this is 6 days in the keg, with gelatin finings as well.

Think I like this one better in the bottles .

Still not sure on the Kveik yeast, maybe I am not giving them enough time before kegging..?

Can’t go past US-05 for a nice hoppy brew I reckon!

Cheers

James

963AAA8A-963B-4846-9F84-DEAC6BCA0D0D.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, James Lao said:

It’s a hazy beast for sure, this is 6 days in the keg, with gelatin finings as well.

Hey there JL - am getting excited about the Kveik quick ferment - but you reckon it does not flocc very well mate?

Did you Cold Crash the feller for a while prior to kegging - guess so if you did the Gelatin hey?