Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

21 minutes ago, Graubart said:
  38 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hallertau Mittlefruh

Pretty bllllloooooody close TB haha... just need that last finishing touch of an 'umlaut' on the u in fruh... or Früh... which means morning or early... as in Früstück - directly translated as "early piece" haha... or early meal I guess.. otherwise known by us as the time to break the fast or breakfast hahaha! 

And Mittel is middle... so think is early to middle harvesting re the hop timing of harvest...   (Mittel rather than Mittle... German vs French spelling pattern there)

An 'Au' is a meadow or pasture (South German and Austrian dialect)... so maybe it is the Hallert Meadow haha!?  German language is big on compound nouns - cobbling the words together..... e.g. Lastkraftwagen (Truck) and Bahnhof (Railway station) haha : )

And well... you prolly already know that Hallertau is a big hop growing region in Bavaria (Bayern) not that far north from Munich (München)... not quite sure of the provenance of the map below but hopefully provides the general Hallertau region ; )

image.thumb.png.c54b8eeb844460a09488bd3fe06ad6e1.png

But the real gist of the message:

Very well done on your beer @Tone boy... beautiful work and you got the inside run with a great partials-coach @ChristinaS1 ; )

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Pretty bllllloooooody close TB haha... just need that last finishing touch of an 'umlaut' on the u in fruh... or Früh... which means morning or early... as in Früstück - directly translated as "early piece" haha... or early meal I guess.. otherwise known by us as the time to break the fast or breakfast hahaha! 

And Mittel is middle... so think is early to middle harvesting re the hop timing of harvest...   (Mittel rather than Mittle... German vs French spelling pattern there)

An 'Au' is a meadow or pasture (South German and Austrian dialect)... so maybe it is the Hallert Meadow haha!?  German language is big on compound nouns - cobbling the words together..... e.g. Lastkraftwagen (Truck) and Bahnhof (Railway station) haha : )

And well... you prolly already know that Hallertau is a big hop growing region in Bavaria (Bayern) not that far north from Munich (München)... not quite sure of the provenance of the map below but hopefully provides the general Hallertau region ; )

image.thumb.png.c54b8eeb844460a09488bd3fe06ad6e1.png

But the real gist of the message:

Very well done on your beer @Tone boy... beautiful work and you got the inside run with a great partials-coach @ChristinaS1 ; )

Great post. Love it. love the history and language. What a great gig this home brewing caper. A whole new world - you never know where it will take you!

You’re right, definitely got the inside run there - red carpet treatment all the way to the post 🏇

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

no idea how u done that but sounds good 

Hey @jamiek86 at the bottom of the Fermy there is an isolation valve, I turn that off, that isolates the carbonated brew up top, fit a new sanitised collection container with hops, purge with some CO2 from a spare cylinder, shut off, that is now purged with CO2, no oxygen in there, have your CO2 pressure higher down below, say 10psi, lower above chamber to lower than below, say 5 psi, open up valve, forces pressure & hops upwards completing the transfer, no oxygen involved in contaminating your brew, hope that assists 👍🍻🍻

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Pale Ale with amber liquid malt, 45g Amarillo & 45g Cascade, and a little dextrose, US-05. 

‘Brewed in the Fermzilla @19 degrees & CC for 4 days, still very cloudy but tastes Mickey Mouse 🍻👍

EAF4729A-6759-4724-985E-138074370CE9.jpeg

You seem to brew a lot of beers I like RD... how do you rate the fermzilla compared to the normal Coopers FV?

1 hour ago, Titans19 said:

You seem to brew a lot of beers I like RD... how do you rate the fermzilla compared to the normal Coopers FV?

So far @Titans19 I am rating the Fermzilla a better product, I still brew in the Coopers FV,s. 

But so far so good, this is my 3rd brew in the Fermzilla which is a Pacific Pale Ale.

‘Things I don’t like about the Fermzilla so far -

The Orange connects on the Collection Container, had a few leak on me.

I don’t like the tool that comes with it, prefer to use my own pipe strap, better grip. 
Even if you do up the collection container hand tight, after it’s been under pressure it does bind up, although I use truckloads of Food Grade Lube which overcomes this problem. 
Overall rating so far, maybe an 8/10.

Certainly can taste the difference of fermenting under pressure, which is a cleaner beer. 

• Like 4

On 1/24/2021 at 10:32 PM, jamiek86 said:

@BlackSands how many weeks in the bottle and is the hop flavour still there with that super yeast. Very clear also cold crashed it after few days of FG?

My first sampling of this beer was after two weeks bottled, though the one pictured is now close to a month in the bottle.  Hop presence (late boil / steep additions) is still very high.  I have not bothered with dry-hopping for quite some time now as the hop-fade in my bottled beers is always very disappointing to me, and to my mind equates to little more than wasted hops - regardless of the yeast used.  This brew was cold-crashed and fined with gelatin for two or three days - can't quite remember exactly.  I'm very happy with this beer and kveik voss generally - a strain that has now become a 'go to' ale strain for me.  I've brewed maybe 6 or 7 batches so far with this yeast and only one so far has been a bit of a disappointment... not really sure what went wrong with it:  drinkable, but unremarkable and well below expectations, while all others have definitely been keepers.  🤓

• Like 4

First glass of El Dorado Pale Ale, fermented with kveik. 5 days grain to glass. 

Pretty happy with it, though it is quite hazy, which I didn't expect. 

First time making up my own recipe.

If it meets the criteria I might reclassify this as a hazy IPA, as it is a fair bit hoppier than I intended.

10L batch: 2.25kg pale ale malt, 125g crystal malt, 125g wheat malt, 50g El Dorado hops, Voss kveik. 

20210127_171243.jpg

• Like 9

On 1/26/2021 at 5:00 PM, Red devil 44 said:

The Orange connects on the Collection Container, had a few leak on me.

I don’t like the tool that comes with it, prefer to use my own pipe strap, better grip. 
Even if you do up the collection container hand tight, after it’s been under pressure it does bind up, although I use truckloads of Food Grade Lube which overcomes this problem. 
Overall rating so far, maybe an 8/10.

Certainly can taste the difference of fermenting under pressure, which is a cleaner beer. 

Agree with you @Red devil 44 Red on this... the sealing up on top on the lid... the tool for undoing - sounds like you have something better... and sealing issues with the collection container.

But is nice fermenting under pressure yep.

I am doing three in a row and not bothering with the collection until the very end.  And then will use the container - but just on and off and hopefully won't have the issues of "binding up".

You are doing your late hop with that container so that is a different story again...   I did see somewhere that some folk just use a funnel and take one fitting off and just tap late hops in that way... would be easy enough to purge again with a bit of COx... and besides COx being denser probably won't have much contam anyway. 

The big thing for me was firstly - not to use Stainless Steel fittings on the lid - just orange plazzis (tho you say some of them leak too?) and then - not to overtighten the lid... just hand tighten...  And yeah I don't really like the collection container cos getting it on and off is troublesome. 

Reckon if I went over again I probably would purchase the simpler one - or even better - one of the lads has a very nice looking SS version... and I guess one could use a Corny too?

Yer gotta get the appropriate lid and fittings obviously.... 

But it is a nice thing to be experimenting with and am pleased you are happy with your brew quality @Red devil 44

image.thumb.png.3fc8c3eba42141010f30da3743bed669.png  image.thumb.png.9538601987a1fab5a1edcdbe537e232b.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 9:16 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Holiday demand has emptied the kegs. Found this longneck, raspberry wheat from approx 2 yrs ago. Still a little raspberry flavour, dry and refreshing.

Isn't a wonderful thing HH discovering some of those gems from long ago when you need them most haha!😋

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Graubart said:

Agree with you @Red devil 44 Red on this... the sealing up on top on the lid... the tool for undoing - sounds like you have something better... and sealing issues with the collection container.

But is nice fermenting under pressure yep.

I am doing three in a row and not bothering with the collection until the very end.  And then will use the container - but just on and off and hopefully won't have the issues of "binding up".

You are doing your late hop with that container so that is a different story again...   I did see somewhere that some folk just use a funnel and take one fitting off and just tap late hops in that way... would be easy enough to purge again with a bit of COx... and besides COx being denser probably won't have much contam anyway. 

The big thing for me was firstly - not to use Stainless Steel fittings on the lid - just orange plazzis (tho you say some of them leak too?) and then - not to overtighten the lid... just hand tighten...  And yeah I don't really like the collection container cos getting it on and off is troublesome. 

Reckon if I went over again I probably would purchase the simpler one - or even better - one of the lads has a very nice looking SS version... and I guess one could use a Corny too?

Yer gotta get the appropriate lid and fittings obviously.... 

But it is a nice thing to be experimenting with and am pleased you are happy with your brew quality @Red devil 44

image.thumb.png.3fc8c3eba42141010f30da3743bed669.png  image.thumb.png.9538601987a1fab5a1edcdbe537e232b.png

I like that set up @Graubart, looks nice 👍 

7 hours ago, Graubart said:

Super creamy head J E Miller - wow - what a beautiful thing!  

Well done.

From keg or bottle?

From a bottle. I under carbonated them, so I have to pour it as vigorously as I can to get a head, but a nice head when it comes as you can see. 

• Like 1