Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Tomorrow night is brew night. Another mini mash.

Mangrove Jack Golden Ale can.

2.5 kilo of Gladfield American Ale mashed.

1/2 kilo of powdered wheat.

I'll add in an amount of Cascade. I'm undecided the amount or when atm.

US-05.

IMG20200722160716.jpg

• Like 5

Brew day tomorrow. Recipe from Cheeky Peak.

Chocolate Milkshake Brown Ale

4.5kg Ale malt 

500g Munich I

250g Pale Chocolate

200g Brown malt 

150g Medium Crystal

500g Lactose (in boil)

180g Cocoa Powder (in boil)

20g Challenger @ 60 min 

50g Fuggles @ Whirlpool 

Yeast - Nottingham

OG - 1062

FG - 1022

IBU - 27

Mash at 67°

23 litres

It should be interesting.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 8

In 2012 I brewed a series of Bushy Park Blondes and Styx River Pale Ales, using the OS Draught kit and the Pale Ale kits. These were kits and bits with some grain and a variety of Hops grown at Bushy Park.

My son in law reminisced recently on a Cricket Chat that one of his fondest brews (from memory) was my Bushy Park Blonde. 

So today I had a crack at a BAIB Bushy Park Blonde.

32 litres of Valley Brew Water

4.5 kg  Pilsner Malt

200g Crystal (120 ebc)

150g Caramalt (40ebc)

150g Acid Malt

12g Columbus at 60 mins

15g Cascade at 15 mins

20g Willamette @ 8 mins

US05 pitched at 14oC

• Like 7

Dropped into the produce store this morning and grabbed some wheat for a hoegaarden clone. Cereal mashed 2kg of wheat in 16l of water @ 61c for 30 mins with 200gm pilsener malt. Took it up to 95c for 30 mins. Added 11L of water to bring it back down to 66c and added the other 1.8kg of pilsener. Wasnt happy with the lemony taste from the coriander last time so im going to do a little boil with coriander seeds at bottling time to hopefully correct that.

Screenshot_2020-07-25-16-26-29.png

Screenshot_2020-07-25-16-26-36.png

• Like 3

IPA brew day today

93% Pale

7% Munich 

Magnum to bitter and late addition Galaxy and El Dorado

Using Burlington Ale yeast for the first time, heard good things about it. Have the starter spinning on the stir plate. i had the foresight to buy a non grooved magnetic bar. My neighbours thank me for the quiet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brew day! 🙂

First AG.

AmericanPaleAle - 21-6-20 - American Pale Ale (10A)
================================================================================
Batch Size  21 L  (approx.)         
Boil Time   1 hr            
OG          1.049 sg            
FG          1.012 sg            
ABV         4.9%                
Bitterness  29.3 IBU (Tinseth)  
Color       9.9 ebc (Morey)     

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name                       Type   Amount     Mashed  Late  Yield  Color     
Pale Malt (Coopers Ale)       Grain  4.500 kg   Yes     No    78%    5.9 ebc   
Wheat Malt                         Grain  250.000 g  Yes     No    84%    3.9 ebc   
Caramel Malt 10L               Grain  200.000 g  Yes     No    76%    19.7 ebc  
Total grain: 4.950 kg

Hops
Name                    Alpha  Amount    Use      Time           Form    IBU   
Warrior                  15.5%  10.000 g  Boil    60.000 min  Pellet  17.5  
Simcoe                  13.0%  10.000 g  Boil    20.000 min  Pellet  8.9   
Riwaka                  4.9%    15.000 g  Boil    10.000 min  Pellet  3.0   
Columbus              15.5%  20.000 g  Steep 0.000 min    Pellet  0.0
Simcoe                  13.0%  10.000 g  Dry     0.000 min    Pellet  0.0
Columbus              15.5%  20.000 g  Dry     0.000 min    Pellet  0.0                 

Miscs
Name               Type         Use   Amount    Time        
pH 5.2 Stabilizer  Water Agent  Mash  12.000 g  

Yeasts
Name          Type  Form  Amount   Stage    
Safale US-05  Ale   Dry   11.50 g  Primary  

Mash
Name         Type      Amount    Temp      Target    Time  
Single Step  Infusion  31 L       70 C       66 C      1 hr
No Sparge 

Had some trouble getting the strike water to temp. The unit overshot the preset by some way & grain was already in. So have scrapped auto & just doing each section manually now for this brew.

About 15mins left in the mash, will then mash out & begin the boil. Easy stuff from there until I try to cool it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with that part. Fingers crossed.

I'll give some more details after everything is done & take some timings & temps from the recirc chilling process when I run it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 7

Well brew day is done. Very long day including the clean-up.

I had my share of problems. The boil went fine, but had some minor issues with the chilling. Had some hose line issues that spilt some wort & water etc. The exterior magnetic drive pump initially wasn't working when I hooked it up for the first pass for some reason, so shut if off & allowed it to gravity feed through the pump & chiller while the wort recirculated back into the Guten using it's internal pump. Dropped down under 60°C from boiling in no time. The first pass is not recirculated & merely collected in another 30L container as it's temp is too hot to recirculate again.

Before I hooked up the second 30L refrigerated water container that would recirculate back through itself via the chiller, I changed the input & output fittings on the magnetic drive pump. Amazing how much better it worked when I had the flow direction the right way. 😂 Although this segment of wort chilling took slightly longer to reach a 23°C yeast pitching mark, it was still fairly quick. I've learned from the mistakes I made today, & am better rehearsed to use the equipment next time. I'm happy with my cooling re-circulation method, it only requires minor tweaking.

Predicted gravity for this brew was 1.049 @ 21L. I've ended up with just under 21L @ 1.051. It smells good & a nice light colour, so I'm happy with that.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 11

Threw this together this morning.  This should be a tasty easy drinker.  Will be pressure fermenting at 1psi ans 22c for the 1st couple of days then crank up the heat and the pressure to 26c and 15psi for finish it off.  I want to get some esters from the Kolsch yeast. well that is the plan. 

Kolsch.PNG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Threw this together this morning.  This should be a tasty easy drinker.  Will be pressure fermenting at 1psi ans 22c for the 1st couple of days then crank up the heat and the pressure to 26c and 15psi for finish it off.  I want to get some esters from the Kolsch yeast. well that is the plan. 

Kolsch.PNG

What software are you using there MartyG ? looks nice and simple.  And what version is it and where did you get it from?

Cheers - AL

On 7/27/2020 at 6:29 PM, Beerlust said:

I changed the input & output fittings on the magnetic drive pump. Amazing how much better it worked when I had the flow direction the right way. 😂 

What pump did you end up getting Lusty?  Are you happy with that chiller?

Circling like a vulture on a couple of different brands ATM and interested in your experience with this gear.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

@Beerlust

Nice work. You are making me think about chilling.

As much as I jest about no-chilling, I really do understand the different circumstances home brewers are in relating to their lifestyles & work habits, & what suits them. For me chilling suits. BTW, nice frothy krausen on that brew as I type this. I had the stopwatch going when I started the cooling process, but then had a small hiccup as mentioned previously. Even with the mistakes, mishaps & delays I made, it was still at approx. 23°C in approx. 20mins. With the pump running right & me doing things a little smoother & more coordinated,  I'm expecting under 10mins & lower to cool to yeast pitching temps all year round. I'll hopefully have more accurate numbers & timeframes from the next brew. 😉

48 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

What pump did you end up getting Lusty?

This one >>> MKII High Temperature Magnetic Drive Pump 25w with 1/2" BSP

For what is needed here, it works great. 👍

55 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

...Are you happy with that chiller?

Circling like a vulture on a couple of different brands ATM and interested in your experience with this gear.

Love it! The Blichmann I bought is regarded as a commercial grade chiller so it should work well, & it did (even when gravity feeding). Dare I ad lib here a little further about the subject as it appears to annoy & upset some here lately on the forum. $&r@# those oversensitive tossers!...

...If looking into a counterflow chiller, do yourself a favour iBooz2 (& anyone else interested in this) & check how many plates it has vs its cost. Why does how many plates it has matter? Because the more plates, the more passes the wort & cooling liquid will make on either side of those plates before exiting the unit. Why does that matter? Because the more plates, the more rapidly you will cool the wort prior to exiting the unit. The more plates, generally the more expensive the units are for reasons I have just outlined. Lesser plates will generally require longer & more passes to cool to the same temp. The overall size of the unit will play a part too as will the material it is made from.

Example A: eBay - Counterflow Plate Chillers/Heat Exchangers (note the variance in price based on plates)

The Blichmann Therminator has "316 steel plates & fittings".

Don't take my word for it, do a bit of looking around yourself & hopefully you'll find a chiller that suits your budget & requirements for your brew day.😉

I hope that helps. Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, Beerlust said:

Brew day! 🙂

First AG.

AmericanPaleAle - 21-6-20 - American Pale Ale (10A)
Batch Size  21 L  (approx.)         
Boil Time   1 hr            
OG          1.049 sg            
FG          1.012 sg            
ABV         4.9%                
Bitterness  29.3 IBU (Tinseth)  
Color       9.9 ebc (Morey)     

Fermentables
Name                       Type   Amount     Mashed  Late  Yield  Color     
Pale Malt (Coopers Ale)       Grain  4.500 kg   Yes     No    78%    5.9 ebc   
Wheat Malt                         Grain  250.000 g  Yes     No    84%    3.9 ebc   
Caramel Malt 10L               Grain  200.000 g  Yes     No    76%    19.7 ebc  
Total grain: 4.950 kg

Hops
Name                    Alpha  Amount    Use      Time           Form    IBU   
Warrior                  15.5%  10.000 g  Boil    60.000 min  Pellet  17.5  
Simcoe                  13.0%  10.000 g  Boil    20.000 min  Pellet  8.9   
Riwaka                  4.9%    15.000 g  Boil    10.000 min  Pellet  3.0   
Columbus              15.5%  20.000 g  Steep 0.000 min    Pellet  0.0
Simcoe                  13.0%  10.000 g  Dry     0.000 min    Pellet  0.0
Columbus              15.5%  20.000 g  Dry     0.000 min    Pellet  0.0                 

Miscs
Name               Type         Use   Amount    Time        
pH 5.2 Stabilizer  Water Agent  Mash  12.000 g  

Yeasts
Name          Type  Form  Amount   Stage    
Safale US-05  Ale   Dry   11.50 g  Primary  

Mash
Name         Type      Amount    Temp      Target    Time  
Single Step  Infusion  31 L       70 C       66 C      1 hr
No Sparge 

Had some trouble getting the strike water to temp. The unit overshot the preset by some way & grain was already in. So have scrapped auto & just doing each section manually now for this brew.

About 15mins left in the mash, will then mash out & begin the boil. Easy stuff from there until I try to cool it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with that part. Fingers crossed.

I'll give some more details after everything is done & take some timings & temps from the recirc chilling process when I run it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Excellent 👍☺️

• Like 1

Brew Day 

Little Creatures Clone, double batch in 60L fermenting vessel.

2 x Morgan’s Pacific Pale Ale Cans

3 Kg Liquid Wheat Malt

2 x 12g Cascade Finishing Hops ( thinking maybe a little more )
2 x US05 Yeast 
‘Most of it in 2 kegs, but grab some largies for my brother though. 

Have not dragged the big boy out in a while, so time for a run. 🍺🍺

cheers RD44🍺🍺

• Like 1