Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Brew Day, weekend just passed:

Vienna Lager 2.0

• 3kg Vienna
  • 1.2kg Pilsner
  • 0.764kg Caramunich I (that’s how much I had left)
  • 0.12kg Carafa Special II
  • 0.14kg Victory 

Mash 65C for 60 minutes
Mash out 75C for 10 minutes 

• 21g Magnum @60 minutes
  • 14g Hallertauer @10 minutes
  • 1tsp Irish Moss @10 minutes
  • 2pkt Out of date yeast @10 minutes

Water Additions 

• Epsom salts: 0.36g
  • Gypsum: 7.46g
  • Chalk: 6.88g
  • Calcium Chloride 1.26g
  • Sodium Metabisulphite: 0.8g chlorine neutraliser

OG Calc: 1.049 Meas: 1.053
Vol Calc: 25L Meas: 24L
FG Calc: 1.010
ABV: Calc 5.2%
IBU: 25
EBC: 27
Mash pH (using strips) 4.8??
Pre-sparge SG: 1.078
Pre-boil SG: 1.046 (30.2L)

IMG_1844.JPG.5670d5ec141bdf950750c8db968eb149.JPGIMG_1845.JPG.50302003e053c6c3b83cd3052e4edbb0.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG.15ec9c64d7dfaa3fe2f49465e68cb09d.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Does the water then go down the gurgler or onto the lawn or recirc?

Nah. No wastage. First 20l went into the HLT for clean up, then the rest went into the vegetable garden and the front lawn.

Need to get the lawn up to spec if we’re looking to sell the old joint!

It was only on about 10 mins at half pressure. My teenage girls probably use more in the shower 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Through down a stout today. planning on kegging half and bottling half and storing them away to see how they hold up. It’s a bit of a hodge podge of sorts. Bit of a dry stout, bit of a last minute milk stout.....After sampling the wort I felt she’d end up too roasty and dry and needed a bit of sorting out with some sweetness so I dumped in some lactose and I’m glad I did after tasting my OG sample. 

67% Marrie otter

8.5% choc malt

7.5% roasted barley 

6.8% flaked oats

3.4% dark Crystal

350g lactose

95g EKG @60

30g EKG @30 

50 IBU

and Notty doing the heavy lifting. 

prior to the lactose addition I had plans of Oaking it with whiskey chips on day 4. Depending on how it’s tracking I might can that idea or I might not.... any thoughts?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

prior to the lactose addition I had plans of Oaking it with whiskey chips on day 4

Not for me.... but maybe for some.  I got a ripper fancy Japanese Whiskey that was aged in Bourbon Barrels... all it did was taste of blllllllllllardy Bourbon?!  OOOOOOOOOoeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I reckon you should let Notty, EKG and the lovely malted grain do the talking Mitchy...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Not for me.... but maybe for some.  I got a ripper fancy Japanese Whiskey that was aged in Bourbon Barrels... all it did was taste of blllllllllllardy Bourbon?!  OOOOOOOOOoeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I reckon you should let Notty, EKG and the lovely malted grain do the talking Mitchy...

I Rekon I should too. 

• Haha 1

Wave 2 Isolation XPA. Very smooth brewday, I prepared everything last night. Hit my numbers. Cannot wait to taste this in a week or so. Hopefully next Sunday, we will see how it goes. Added the centennial at flameout and cubed the rest at about 82c but expect that to drop pretty quickly in the cold garage floor.

I will keg the lager today before fermenting this batch, and let it sit in the back of the fridge slow carbing.

Good brewing

Screenshot_20200627-124749_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200627-124807_Firefox.jpg

20200627_074248.jpg

20200627_090117.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Titan said:

Simple Irish Red Ale.

4kg Maris Otter

300g Carapils

300g Shephard's Delight

40g fuggle 60min

Windsor yeast

23 IBU 22 EBC

Mash 60 @ 65c, mash out 15 @ 72c, boil 60.

Disaster brew day. All going well until grainfather pump failed to work. Pretty sure its blocked. Never had an issue with this before. Unable to chill with cfc. Problem was how to get the wort into the conical. Checked the conical and was not happy with the seal on the dump valve so had to undo and re seat. Used the new trolly jack to lift the grainfather up and syphoned the wort to the conical. With all the fkng around with the dump valve i left it open so lost a 1l wort on the floor. 21l in the fermenter. Removed empty grainfather from trolly and put conical on there to lift it onto the bench. Fundamental issue with the conical is when you disconnect the pipework, any liquid in the jacket pours out. I need to fix this before next time. Just goes to show no matter how good the equipment you have a simple failure of a key component throws a major spanner in the works. No idea what i would have done without the trolly jack.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Disaster brew day. All going well until grainfather pump failed to work. Pretty sure its blocked. Never had an issue with this before. Unable to chill with cfc. Problem was how to get the wort into the conical. Checked the conical and was not happy with the seal on the dump valve so had to undo and re seat. Used the new trolly jack to lift the grainfather up and syphoned the wort to the conical. With all the fkng around with the dump valve i left it open so lost a 1l wort on the floor. 21l in the fermenter. Removed empty grainfather from trolly and put conical on there to lift it onto the bench. Fundamental issue with the conical is when you disconnect the pipework, any liquid in the jacket pours out. I need to fix this before next time. Just goes to show no matter how good the equipment you have a simple failure of a key component throws a major spanner in the works. No idea what i would have done without the trolly jack.

Dang Titan, sorry to hear that. Did you try blowing some air into the pump? Either way at least you got it in to the fermenter.

6 hours ago, Norris! said:

Wave 2 Isolation XPA.

Well I hope you got plenty Grain stored away Norris.... I was trying to tell yous all that rebound was on the way when I got my 150kg.... waiting for the wave... LOL....  just joshin ; )

Was really just fortuitous that the fella was comin' my way so I could meet him halfway with the lovely Voyager Malt sacks.... and was spewwwwing about the freight cost from Wodonga for very good priced malt from CPB.

Ha ha anyway when you live next door to CPB you should be right ; )

We might be calling you to help out next hey!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well I hope you got plenty Grain stored away Norris.... I was trying to tell yous all that rebound was on the way when I got my 150kg.... waiting for the wave... LOL....  just joshin ; )

Was really just fortuitous that the fella was comin' my way so I could meet him halfway with the lovely Voyager Malt sacks.... and was spewwwwing about the freight cost from Wodonga for very good priced malt from CPB.

Ha ha anyway when you live next door to CPB you should be right ; )

We might be calling you to help out next hey!?!

Yeah that is a nice pick up, you did have a nice haul!

I love being able to brew whatever I want when I want. It does help with the LHBS being down the block. If I can give you a hand I will try.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 7:37 PM, MitchBastard said:

prior to the lactose addition I had plans of Oaking it with whiskey chips on day 4. Depending on how it’s tracking I might can that idea or I might not.... any thoughts?

Don’t know if you have used the whiskey chips before but i strongly suggest wrapping them in some aluminum foil and giving them a bit of a toast before you chuck them in. Depending on what you want to get out of them. Amazing how much flavor they impart. Bit of a warning thou SWMBO might not appreciate the sweet aroma of the toasting oak in the oven.

Good luck with the brew!

flavor-profile-of-toasting-oak-chips-temperature-vs-time-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Norris! said:

It does help with the LHBS being down the block. If I can give you a hand I will try.

Thanks big N!

Mate jf I can't get the right ingredient s mate  I will chase you up big fella! Luvyerwork

Do you talk to Jezza?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks big N!

Mate jf I can't get the right ingredient s mate  I will chase you up big fella! Luvyerwork

Do you talk to Jezza?

Yeah a little bit. Not as much as I would like as either it is busy, I am in a hurry or my nerdiness kicks in and I get shy and just stand there and smile.

Yup, I am one smooth customer.

• Haha 4

On 6/27/2020 at 10:14 PM, Norris! said:

Yeah a little bit. Not as much as I would like as either it is busy, I am in a hurry or my nerdiness kicks in and I get shy and just stand there and smile.

Yup, I am one smooth customer. 

Ha ha Big Fella u r one champ of a dude ha ha!!!   Luvyerwork.

Yeah big Jezz is a good dude - and I think is it Sam?  The Brewer?  and Ian also... and of course Stacey.... she is hard as rock mate... whooo... does she run the shop?

First few times I rang up trying to find AG shitttt out... think it was Ian I talked to - really helpful - then I hear her (only worked out later who she was) in the background saying something like...

IS THAT BLOKE EVER GUNNA BUY ANYTHING?!   meh meh....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha Big Fella u r one champ of a dude ha ha!!!   Luvyerwork.

Yeah big Jezz is a good dude - and I think is it Sam?  The Brewer?  and Ian also... and of course Stacey.... she is hard as rock mate... whooo... does she run the shop?

First few times I rang up trying to find AG shitttt out... think it was Ian I talked to - really helpful - then I hear her (only worked out later who she was) in the background saying something like...

IS THAT BLOKE EVER GUNNA BUY ANYTHING?!   meh meh....

You got just about every body, except for Kristy. Jeremy, Stacey and Kristy are the owners with Ian and Sam brewing.

That sounds about right! They are helpful but very busy also. I get my questions and chat in when they are weighing the grains and hops, besides that it is pretty tough.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Norris! said:

They are helpful but very busy also.

Yeah for sure Cob!  Yeah at some stage I was trying to talk to Jezza - and it took me days to get hold of him....  yeah Kristy too yes mate she helped me out with finalising an order at one stage.

Yeah I think that the Covid thing has seen a boon of brewing and home-makin' and that will have helped their biz but makes it v hard to then try to find time to talk.

Festive Jezza - was trying to get hold of him at one stage - and he was out fencin' after the fires... top bloke!  Their malt prices and hop prices I reckon are very good....  besides the useful assistance on recipes/malt/hop combos....

I think you lucked in there big N when you moved to Wodonga next door to CPB ha ha!?!

• Haha 1

Recipe: Aussie Draught
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         2          12.5 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil] (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         3          12.5 %        0.32 L        
20.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 90.0 min       Hop           4          21.6 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shitty aussie lager time again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Shitty aussie lager time again.

Last one of those I did it was a 60, 40, 20 boil of PoR 10 IBU, Saaz 5 IBU and Nelson Sauvin 14 IBU and boy it come out better than expected.  very sessionable.  Thought the combo worked well.