Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 71.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          49.0 %        1.63 L        
2.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         2          39.2 %        1.30 L        
0.30 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         3          5.9 %         0.20 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          3.9 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC)       Grain         5          2.0 %         0.07 L        
20.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           6          19.3 IBUs     -             
10.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           7          14.0 IBUs     -             
1.00 kg          Cherry (Primary)                                 Other         8          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 6

Putting this on tomorrow morning at 8am, give the neighbours time to wake up. Berserker Juice. The 5 min addition are flameout and the 10 min whirlpool are cube additions after the wort has dropped to below 80c.

Screenshot_20200717-201321_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200717-201333_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, Norris! said:

Putting this on tomorrow morning at 8am, give the neighbours time to wake up. Berserker Juice. The 5 min addition are flameout and the 10 min whirlpool are cube additions after the wort has dropped to below 80c.

Screenshot_20200717-201321_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200717-201333_Firefox.jpg

Brew day went well, cut the grass while boiling. I was 2 -3 points over and 1.5 litres short, which is my water volumes, I think, happy to be corrected. I think the increased malt bill and oats might of thrown me off a little, I thought 34l with sparge would be about right but should of gone a little more it seems.  I don't usually brew 6% beers so this was slightly different, oh well I will take note of this and hopefully remember it next time! Hopefully, my memory is like a colander.  

My boil off might be it also, I have it set at 3.5l an hour, I think for somedays it fluctuates with the temp and wind. Anyone notice this? 

So my thoughts on this batch are, I used BB 3.9 ebc malt which is crisp and added some Munich to get a little breadiness into the brew. As it is a hazy it has wheat and oats with a touch of carapils to get the head up and keep the body soft. Mashed at 67c for more body and a mashout to get it crisper or more fermentable, so more alcohol. I went with Amarillo, azacca and galaxy hotside to accentuate and hold in the more  tropical and fruity flavours and aromas and saved simcoe for dry hopping, which has a little more pine than azacca or the other hops while still bringing some citrus aromas. Using kveik Voss yeast by lallemand for the citrusy esters it brings at 35c, which will go well in this brew. 

So with all that wander talk done, here is to a good brew day. 

Cheers,

Norris

• Like 4

Eisbock again. Recipe based on grains i had in stock. Overshot my numbers by 10 points both pre and post. ABV, SG and FG are reflective of the the brew before freeze distillation. ABV will be around 9%.

Screenshot_20200719-143613_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200719-143631_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Your porter is stronger than the stout... WTF is going on?????

🤔😆

Ha ha ha the word Imperial is why it’s double the abv ha ha ha

This is based on the one from Denny himself. 
I promise to send you one this year Ben. 

• Like 1

Hiya @The Captain!!.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:59 AM, The Captain!! said:

Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter on Thursday, first of two batches this year. 

I'm familiar with Denny Conn's Bourbon Porter recipe, plus I really like the guy & what I've read from him over the years. Probably my favourite yank home brewer! I saved a copy of this recipe a few years ago too for reference sake mostly.

image.png.70ef4797aa576863b577bb21ddb45eb8.png

Interesting choice of yeast. Denny's strain is a hybrid strain he created himself that has a wide spectrum you can ferment at. Apparently can ferment down low in lager temps & also at typical ale temps.

What temp are you planning to ferment at?

Lusty.

15 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hiya @The Captain!!.

I'm familiar with Denny Conn's Bourbon Porter recipe, plus I really like the guy & what I've read from him over the years. Probably my favourite yank home brewer! I saved a copy of this recipe a few years ago too for reference sake mostly.

image.png.70ef4797aa576863b577bb21ddb45eb8.png

Interesting choice of yeast. Denny's strain is a hybrid strain he created himself that has a wide spectrum you can ferment at. Apparently can ferment down low in lager temps & also at typical ale temps.

What temp are you planning to ferment at?

Lusty.

He’s a dude. I love his attitude to life really. 

Im not sure he created the yeast, he was sent slants from a digest from memory and he kept it for years. He then offered it to white labs and Wyeast and wyeast picked it up and ran with it. Humblingly calling it Denny Favourite. I understand that over many years he was only sent a few slants of it and he kept it for years and in the end was one of a few that had viable cells to make it in a commercial setting. 
He uses it in everything though ha ha ipas, pales, Belgium’s ha ha ha. Actually I don’t think he brews beers under 7%. 

As for temp, 18, ramp to 22 after 4/5 days to finish off. It’s a big beer (for this yeast) so it needs the temp to punch it through. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

He’s a dude. I love his attitude to life really.

Yep, it really stands out in his posts & podcasts.

I like his almost anti-establishment approach to quite a few areas of brewing beer, & have learned my share of things from his teachings & recipes etc.

Widely respected, & justifiably so. All credit to him.

Lusty.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Im not sure he created the yeast, he was sent slants from a digest from memory and he kept it for years. He then offered it to white labs and Wyeast and wyeast picked it up and ran with it. Humblingly calling it Denny Favourite. I understand that over many years he was only sent a few slants of it and he kept it for years and in the end was one of a few that had viable cells to make it in a commercial setting.

If no-one else has the strain, then I'd suggest it deserves his naming on it. He kept this yeast alive for many years & I was led to believe blended those initial strains out to create this hybrid-like strain. That was my understanding of what I had come across about it. If you have a definitive link to the creation of Denny's commercial strain, I'd be interested to read it.

On a similar note, our old Coopers moderator/mentor PB2 claimed to have maintained an older Coopers strain that has been kept by Coopers in their vault for re-use/experimentation purposes apparently when last he spoke of it.

@Coopers @Coopers DIY Beer Team, I would be very interested to know if this strain still exists there at the brewery, & if it is used in any degree by the brewery these days.

Cheers,

Lusty.

23 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I really like Denny’s Favourite 50.

I got very interested in trying this yeast quite a few years ago, but chickened out because I just didn't know what it was gonna throw & no-one on AUS-based forums were posting anything about it to know anything pre-usage.

Out of curiosity, what temp did you ferment your brew with Hairy?

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I got very interested in trying this yeast quite a few years ago, but chickened out because I just didn't know what it was gonna throw & no-one on AUS-based forums were posting anything about it to know anything pre-usage.

Out of curiosity, what temp did you ferment your brew with Hairy?

Lusty.

I mainly used it in pale ales fermented around 18-19°.

Chickened out! Where was your pioneering spirit?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I mainly used it in pale ales fermented around 18-19°.

Since neither you or Capt are wiling to, when I do brew with it, I'll ferment down near 15°C. It could be exactly what I want with this grail lager hybrid beer I want to make as the yeast to use.

How did you feel it dealt with hop character? Subdued it, neutral, or complimented it?

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Chickened out! Where was your pioneering spirit?

At the time, I put using this strain in the same basket as making an all Magnum hopped beer. An unknown path I wasn't willing to go down.

You & I both know the outcome of that Magnum deal. 😜

Seriously, thanks for the insights into the Dennys 50, I really appreciate it.

Lusty.

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I'll ferment down near 15°C. It could be exactly what I want with this grail lager hybrid beer

Ha ha ha I’ve tried with you and opening up your horizons to this yeast and I’m now glad you’ve listened. 
I’d say try it in your mosaic, is it amber? Cause honestly it tastes great. 
1450 is a yeast that needs its recognition 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

How did you feel it dealt with hop character? Subdued it, neutral, or complimented it?

I’ve brewed a lot with it. It doesn’t subdue malt/hop character but it does leave body but it ferments out like 001,1056, or us-05. Maybe a little less however it is a unique yeast that I think you should try out, you’ll be surprised by its character.

try your best extract recipe with this yeast and see the differences do see if there’s difference all grain. If that makes sense 

Edited by The Captain!!

Barleywine...

Recipe: Barleywine
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 28.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 83.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
8.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          96.4 %        5.22 L        
0.30 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         2          3.6 %         0.20 L        
50.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min                Hop           3          67.0 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Chinook [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           4          16.7 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not made one of these before, may dump it onto a Belgain Pale yeast cake,

• Like 1

Haven't posted anything on this thread for awhile as most of the beers I have brewed lately have been old recipes previously posted. However, thought I would share this. It is nothing special just a standard Pilsner recipe however, very happy with the efficiency.  I did a step mash for the 1st time. A bit of extra time needed when using 50 litres of strike water.  The mash was 30 minutes at 62c,  30 minutes at 68 and a 10 minute mash out at 75c. Also did a 6 litre rinse of the grain bag. End result 81% BH efficiency which is up 6 percentage points on what my usual target OG is.  This has been split into 2 batches. Both fermenting under pressure at 15psi & 22c. One using W34/70 the other Urquell 2001.  Am looking forward to the results. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 4