Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Making my regular amber ale but with slightly different hops.

3 kg maris otter

.6 kg munich

.25 kg victory

.2 kg med cry

.1 kg choc

.1 kg acid malt

6 g warrior

15 g cascade

15 g amarillo

15 g each cubed

OG 1042      IBU28    1056 Yeast 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QK said:

Making my regular amber ale but with slightly different hops.

3 kg maris otter

.6 kg munich

.25 kg victory

.2 kg med cry

.1 kg choc

.1 kg acid malt

6 g warrior

15 g cascade

15 g amarillo

15 g each cubed

OG 1042      IBU28    1056 Yeast 

Nice mix QK. I'd enjoy seeing a pic of it in the glass. Have you ever used any other yeast strains on the recipe?

I've just switched to AG & am looking to put a version of my Mosaic Amber Ale down as a recipe to brew soon, & will likely add a little Victory malt into the mix.

Best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty, I have used 1272 and 1084 yeast before in a amber but honestly I couldn’t pick any difference , I actually prefer cascade centennial mix hops but this brew still really nice, Nice and malty, btw warrior was 60 min and 15 g first additions was 10 min, forgot to add that, had a big week ! 🤪 I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

• Like 1

Maybe try 1007 German ale yeast.  Depends on the style of Amber you are aiming for. My current one is a German Alt/Aussie amber hybrid. 

This is the first version using our fresh Victoria hops (Aussie) with the German yeast and a malt driven base.

80% Maris Otter

8% Munich

8% Special Roast

8 Medium Crystal

1% Choc Malt

Bravo 60 min  for 18IBU

300g Victoria at flame out for 12 IBU.

After 3 months the malt really shines on this one.  

Brewing another batch of pilsner today, on my last day of holidays. Currently doing the 72 degree rest. Also smoking a piece of bacon that had been curing for the past 12 days, took out yesterday arvo. 

No beer on tap at the moment, been a bit slack brewing over the holidays but there is a batch cold crashing that I'll keg before the weekend. This one will be pitched tomorrow, and I'll hopefully do another brew day next Saturday so I can get this pilsner and that next batch kegged pretty close to each other. 

• Like 3

Plain and simple Australian Pale Lager today. Hopefully an easy drinking beer coloured water type drink. It’s actually for a friends dad but I’ll bottle a few for me self. 

barret burston pale malt

a touch of carapils 

Some dex

POR to 29ibu

S189 @16.5 deg currently choofing away. 

ABV 4.2%

37F17FA3-55E0-48AF-92B1-760EC5245FFB.jpeg

• Like 3

Today, a hopped-up British Brown Ale:  

Brown Kiwi

• 2.0kg GF Ale Malt
  • 500g GF Aurora Malt
  • 200g GF Med. Crystal Malt
  • 200g GF Brown Malt
  • 100g GF Eclipse Wheat
  • 1.20kg LME
  • 15g Sticklbract @40mins
  • 25g Styrian Goldings @15min
  • 25g Styrian Goldings @5min
  • Nottingham Yeast

| ABV=4.5% | IBU=27 | EBC=40 |

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 7:04 PM, MitchBastard said:

Plain and simple Australian Pale Lager today. Hopefully an easy drinking beer coloured water type drink. It’s actually for a friends dad but I’ll bottle a few for me self. 

barret burston pale malt

a touch of carapils 

Some dex

POR to 29ibu

S189 @16.5 deg currently choofing away. 

ABV 4.2%

37F17FA3-55E0-48AF-92B1-760EC5245FFB.jpeg

It is surprising how good they taste when made. A hops combo that goes great is Cluster for bittering and EKG for flavour.  They were the common combo used by most brewers before the advent of PoR in the later 50's. Really adds to the beer. 

• Thanks 1

Style: Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         1          55.6 %        1.63 L        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         2          44.4 %        1.30 L        
20.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           3          19.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) [124.21 ml]     Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

Nice and easy Hefe for me today. 50/50 Pilsner and Wheat. 30 gms of Hallertau mittefrau to bitter. Brew day only took me 3 and a quarter hours all up.  Thank you rice hulls and no whirlpool additions. 

I was hoping to get the Weihenstephan yeast snap pack but all they had was Safale wb06. Not happy Jan 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

It is surprising how good they taste when made. A hops combo that goes great is Cluster for bittering and EKG for flavour.  They were the common combo used by most brewers before the advent of PoR in the later 50's. Really adds to the beer. 

Thanks Marty. Will give it a go. Wanting to try and really hone in in the style actually and have a few decent dog piss recipes up my sleeve 

• Like 1

German Pilsner on today’s roster. 

bestmalz german Pilsner and a sprinkle of carapils.

Hallie tower middle frurt to 35ibu

34/70 starter about to go in.

this is the third tweak of this recipe. The pencil is slowly sharpening in the recipe. 

oh yeah and the rain came through as I was chilling. 

35A72349-1E29-4D6E-97A8-AE6A5EA644BE.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Thanks Marty. Will give it a go. Wanting to try and really hone in in the style actually and have a few decent dog piss recipes up my sleeve 

Thing is they aren't dog piss when done the way we do them. The commercial brews use pasterisation which changes taste, filtration which changes taste and bugger all hops.  A well made Aussie draft using old school hops tastes great.   PoR and cluster go great together as do Cluster and EKG which is a great hop.  Personally I think too many brewers get caught in the high use of American hops and forget about a balanced malt driven beer.   I love them.  Nothing wrong with heavy hops but as a session drink they just don't work.  A couple of schooners is it for me with those.  I call then an airport/transit drink. Something flavoursome to have while waiting for a flight.  

3 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

PoR and cluster go great together as do Cluster and EKG which is a great hop. 

All three of those are great. EKG is a superb bittering hop actually.

I have made lagers with the first two and my current shitty aussie lager has PoR and works really well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

German Pilsner on today’s roster. 

Just cant beat a good well made Pils.   I am currently drinking a 4.7% ABV of:  93% Pilsner 7% Carapils,  Saaz for 21 IBU at 75 minutes 9 IBU at 20 and 6 IBU at 10. BU:GU 0.76 .  Then fermented with Urquell 2001 at 22c and 15psi and the Saaz spice is just popping.  It is sensational.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

All three of those are great. EKG is a superb bittering hop actually.

I have made lagers with the first two and my current shitty aussie lager has PoR and works really well

I use them as a combo of two in a lot for session beers.  I love EKG as a flavour hop think the earthy honey type of flavours go great with golden syrup as an adjunct in a malty session beer.  I tend to use cluster more as a bittering hop. 

Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         1          55.6 %        1.63 L        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         2          44.4 %        1.30 L        
20.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           3          19.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3942) [124.21  Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same again,  different yeat though

• Like 3