Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Looking at a picture and some comments over on the What's in your fermenter, I thought I would ask a Brewday related question:

Do you guys wait until the boil has started before stirring in the hot break/foam?  Because that is what it looks like with the near boilover.  I tend to stir as I go.  But maybe I am doing something wrong.

My last couple of all grains I have wanted 25L into the fermenter.  Therefore I have had about 31L in the boil.  The G30 is only marked to 30L.  Filled to the brim it would hold about 35.3L.  I have never looked like having a boilover.  But, as I said, I stir in the foam from whenever it starts to appear. 

On 8/7/2020 at 3:48 PM, MitchBastard said:

German Pilsner on today’s roster. 

bestmalz german Pilsner and a sprinkle of carapils.

Hallie tower middle frurt to 35ibu

34/70 starter about to go in.

this is the third tweak of this recipe. The pencil is slowly sharpening in the recipe. 

oh yeah and the rain came through as I was chilling. 

35A72349-1E29-4D6E-97A8-AE6A5EA644BE.jpeg

Hey mate. I'm looking to replicate your festive set up. What fittings , hose etc do you need. And you're just running the wort through the ice bath and not wasting any water other than what's it the bath?

• Like 3

Brew afternooon today for a Nut Brown Ale.

Overshot my efficiency by about 8% to 78% according to Beer Smith. Recipe was based on 70% and I should have got to 1.052 and hit 1.059.

Pitched the yeast at just under 21 straight out of the counterflow chiller and now sitting on 20 in the fridge.

Recipe courtesy of Hoppy Days brewing.

OG: 1.052 IBUs: 23
MASH: 60min @ 68°C BOIL: 60min
GRIST
– 4.76 Gladfield Ale (6 EBC)
– 260g Gladfield Medium Crystal (111 EBC)
– 210g Gladfield Shepherds Delight (300 EBC)
– 150g Gladfield Brown (178 EBC)
– 130g Gladfield Light Chocolate (900 EBC)

BOIL ADDITIONS
35g East Kent Goldings (5% AA) (60min)
20g Fuggles (4.5% AA) (10min)

FERMENT @ 20°C
Lallemand Windsor

• Like 7

On 8/8/2020 at 3:22 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looking at a picture and some comments over on the What's in your fermenter, I thought I would ask a Brewday related question:

Do you guys wait until the boil has started before stirring in the hot break/foam?  Because that is what it looks like with the near boilover.  I tend to stir as I go.  But maybe I am doing something wrong.

My last couple of all grains I have wanted 25L into the fermenter.  Therefore I have had about 31L in the boil.  The G30 is only marked to 30L.  Filled to the brim it would hold about 35.3L.  I have never looked like having a boilover.  But, as I said, I stir in the foam from whenever it starts to appear. 

I don't stir it in at all, the boil takes care of it and it never goes nuts anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Attempted a peanut butter porter yesterday.

5kg Maris Otter
500g Caramunich II
250g black malt
200g choc wheat malt
150g brown malt

Hops: 
60g EKG @60
50g Fuggle @10

Yeast:
Nottingham 

After chilling the wort, I took 3l, boiled them up again and added 360g peanut butter powder (PB2), boiled for 10, threw a 1l ice block into the pot to cool, added it all back into the FV and kept it in the fridge to get to pitching temp. Pitched @21C. 24h later, the yeast is doing its thing and the PB2 has settled at the bottom of the FV. I hope the CC will help compact this a little as it is right below the hole for the tap. 

IMG_6374.thumb.jpg.e3686d2aaee1ab5cce5e10db9dd84925.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Brew afternooon today for a Nut Brown Ale.

Overshot my efficiency by about 8% to 78% according to Beer Smith. Recipe was based on 70% and I should have got to 1.052 and hit 1.059.

Pitched the yeast at just under 21 straight out of the counterflow chiller and now sitting on 20 in the fridge.

Recipe courtesy of Hoppy Days brewing.

OG: 1.052 IBUs: 23
MASH: 60min @ 68°C BOIL: 60min
GRIST
– 4.76 Gladfield Ale (6 EBC)
– 260g Gladfield Medium Crystal (111 EBC)
– 210g Gladfield Shepherds Delight (300 EBC)
– 150g Gladfield Brown (178 EBC)
– 130g Gladfield Light Chocolate (900 EBC)

BOIL ADDITIONS
35g East Kent Goldings (5% AA) (60min)
20g Fuggles (4.5% AA) (10min)

FERMENT @ 20°C
Lallemand Windsor

This looks quite interesting. Might put that on my todo list.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 11:35 AM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Hey mate. I'm looking to replicate your festive set up. What fittings , hose etc do you need. And you're just running the wort through the ice bath and not wasting any water other than what's it the bath?

Hey Paddy, nothing over special about my connections or hoses etc. all I have is a few lengths of food safe hose I got from the brew shop. I think it’s about 12 or 13mm... it just happens to fit perfectly over the chiller and recirc arm. Just take your recirc arm to bunnings or the brew shop. I don’t even clamp it as it’s a fairly snug fit. 

I like to pump through the chiller as that seems the most economical to do with what I have. There’s probably about 20L in that tub which I then fill with ice and top up as needed. Takes about 45 mins to get from 95 to 18. Not to bad imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be brewing a Pacific ale tomorrow morning, with Amarillo and riwaka. I was going to go with all riwaka but I kept reading about how strong they are so I decided to blend it with something I am familiar with. I have never used riwaka hops, per se, but I have used a kit with it once, so don't have a lot of experience with it. I thought with low AA I could load it up but I just wasn't game enough to try it. I could be just making excuses to toss in some Amarillo.

I will be mashing low to keep it crisp. Haven't decided on the yeast yet. I am debating between Voss Kveik or M54 Cali common. The kveik wouldn't hurt it and would probably add a nice level of complexity but the M54 would be cleaner on the pallete in my mind with little to no esters. Both beers would be good but a little different from the yeast character. Probably going to go with M54...Maybe 🤷‍♀️

Screenshot_20200814-133147_Firefox.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

I have never used riwaka hops, per se, but I have used a kit with it once, so don't have a lot of experience with it. I thought with low AA I could load it up but I just wasn't game enough to try it. I could be just making excuses to toss in some Amarillo.

If you want a low AA% hop with a fruity kick you should try Wai-iti.  They are around 2-3% AA so you can go nuts with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Rye IPA
TYPE: All Grain 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 37.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 101.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          64.5 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         2          16.1 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          16.1 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC)       Grain         4          3.2 %         0.13 L        
20.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min          Hop           5          35.6 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          13.6 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           7          22.9 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Samba [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           8          15.3 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Zappa [9.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min       Hop           9          13.7 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsure on the yeast, I will use something random because I like to. A Saison or Belgian Pale or even German Wheat.

Maybe California Lager just for a giggle.

• Like 4