Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Slightly modified Three C's Pale Ale coming up on this beautiful Saturday

What festive Apparatus is that MS?  i.e. is it one of the automated machines like Guten Grainfather Robocop etc?

Brew day today, APA again this time with Cascade, Amarillo and galaxy. Only a small amount of Amarillo going in at flameout to use it up. Galaxy at flameout and in the cube. 

Bit of a late start today, just coming to the end of the main mash rest now. Got the TV set up out here in the patio for the footy later though as it will probably start before I'm finished 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha always better if a little higher than a little lower I say ha ha @Norris! Norris?!

Generally agree, but too high throws out the balance of the recipe and could signal an issue with my process and/or equipment. But, consistency is the main goal I go for and good beer! Hahah

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Norris! said:

But, consistency is the main goal I go for and good beer!

Ha ha but for me that consistency ha ha has gotta be consistency on the high side of the OG range meh meh!!?!!

• Haha 1

So I was supposed to be doing @NewBrews's Two Flags Golden Ale.  But things went a bit awry when I had finished crushing the grain.  I was cleaning off the grain dust from the grain mill rollers using an old paint brush, but running the drill to turn the roller.  One second I was wondering: what happens if the paint brush bristles get drawn down between the rollers.  The next second, I found out (especially with a high torque drill).  Drill stays in hand.  Grain mill and base does at least one 360.  Back of right hand minus 3 sq. cm. of skin.  Fair bit of blood.  Sh1t, my 3+kg of grains is half spilt onto garage floor.  Into kitchen to tidy up.  Hi dear, I have had a bit of an accident.  Can you get me a big band aid and some antiseptic cream?

I did not have Maris Otter, so was using 3kg of Golden Promise.  Well, at least half of that was on my garage floor and that was all of the Golden Promise that I had.  So I did have some Joe White Traditional Malt, so I subbed some of that in.  Recipe ended up something like:

• 1.2kg Golden Promise
  • 1.8kg Joe White Traditional Malt
  • 300g Carapils
  • 100g Light Crystal (Carapils and Light Crystal to match the EBC's of the Crisp Caragold in Newbrews' recipe)
  • 15g East Kent Golding 60 minute boil
  • 10g Enigma 30 minute boil
  • 15g Enigma Whirlpool 20 minutes @ 90°C

I decided to split this batch, based on @Coopers DIY Beer Team comments from a few days ago.  I had done a 2-Step starter of Coopers Commercial Yeast.   This gave me 800 ml into the fridge for next time; 900 ml into one batch; 900ml into the other batch.  One batch fermenting at 18°C, for a clean ferment,  and the other fermenting at 24°C, to extract some fruitiness.

I will do a side-by-side when they are ready to drink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, Ben 10 said:

Shitty aussie lager time again.

How does this lager yeast go without temp control? Is it true to what Mangrove Jacks claims?

"A unique lager strain that has the ability to ferment at ale temperatures without the associated off flavours. Extended lagering periods are also not required."

4 hours ago, Lettucegrove said:

How does this lager yeast go without temp control? Is it true to what Mangrove Jacks claims?

"A unique lager strain that has the ability to ferment at ale temperatures without the associated off flavours. Extended lagering periods are also not required." 

Nottingham can do the same thing. I did a fake lager with it at 15C, just because it could. It was ordinary.

5 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Seasoning! Hope it’s not too sore this morning, cause I’d reckon there be a fair bit of bruising there as well!

Not too bad mate.  It could have been much worse when you think about the edges on the grain hopper.

I crushed the grains and had the accident on Friday night.  Brew day was Saturday (yesterday).  The activity of brew day caused some leakage around the edge of the band-aid.  I was careful to not get any into the brew on the cold side.  I expected it to look worse when I took it off at the end of the day.   Bruising might still be coming.

On the bright side the brews are choofing along nicely.  Good little krausens after about 18 hours.  The 24°C ferment is a bit ahead of the 18°C ferment.

I started the 24°C ferment with a heat belt around the fermenter, set to 24°C.  Although the belt turned off at 24, the temperature kept rising up to as much as 28°C before it dropped back down.  There would have been less variation Inside the fermenter, but it was till too much for my liking.   First thing this morning I changed the plan.  Got the Coopers Craft fermenter in a standard Coopers fermenter box.  Bottom of box lined with ceramic tiles.  Heat belt sitting on the tiles lying around the fermenter, heating the box.  The temperature is amazingly zeroed in.  Does not go over 24.5°C now.  Thanks for the fermenting chamber Coopers.

IMG_1853.JPG.3c80d9620be8ccdbdccaeb303d6cefdd.JPG

Some brew day photos too.

Waiting to mash-in     IMG_1849.JPG.49a8701e563ff79065aa9dc305275ab8.JPG

Mash underway          IMG_1851.JPG.890fe36d683353771d08f66c3a74e58b.JPG

Mash out nearly done IMG_1852.JPG.5f7a9b1eb20c8c57b26f3d7a6f668fe3.JPG

• Like 5

Brew day for my Camshaft IPA with the recipe courtesy of HoppyDays brewing supplies.

First time using filtered water (not RO) and some salts in the mash.

Went surprisingly well given the 6.6kg grain bill. Started off ok but seemed to be a bit stuck at about the 20 minute mark. Ripped out the top screen as it seemed to be compacting the grain bed, gave it a quick stir and all good from then on.

According to the recipe from Hoppy Days I was aiming for a pre boil gravity of 1.051 and an OG if 1.057 and I ended up with 1.052 and 1.059 respectively, so I think I’m getting it dialed in pretty closely.

Decided to take a few pics during it.

7BAFFBC7-B49E-495D-BF4C-BAFFA051EC36.png

ED039B10-20AD-420C-9FC6-55F6E8BDFD63.jpeg

A51AB3BC-20C8-47A4-BF74-F2D643750169.jpeg

326E6A08-C2FB-4F01-8579-D497343E66E7.jpeg

72F0F912-DC5B-4930-9CF2-FDF8483565D6.jpeg

A11C92FC-E209-465A-984A-9F418A5EA17F.jpeg

60572BF5-903C-46E7-9F4E-B2E9C0B2EE42.jpeg

9314DAA2-CE20-4D5E-B445-91BB31B10FFB.jpeg

EF7C3102-3786-49E6-B724-18D5C85C000E.png

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Lettucegrove said:

I like it, this is my fourth with the strain (one packet). Great Northern drinker liked the beer so it must have been bland enough

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 5:24 PM, NewBrews said:

Brew day tomorrow with an IPA and I’ll pop the recipe up then with some pics, but just unpacked the hops from the shopping trip today.

I don’t think there’s going to be much left over either!

When Chuck Norris brews IPA's.....nothing is left over. 😉 😜

For those unfamiliar with Chuck Norris legend, see below for just a small taste...

https://parade.com/968666/parade/chuck-norris-jokes/

My personal favourite is...

Q: What do you call the pile of dead ninjas on the front lawn of Chuck Norris's house?

A: Broke-back mountain.

🤣

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Built this off the Gladfields site as I found some biscuit malt of theirs so going to give it a crack. It’s different to the original in OG, and how much hops being used. I’ll change the overall bitterness from this too, to more like 35ibu

E725AA56-258F-4AE8-AF69-13058A3EAEF4.png

79C0EE20-C8B7-4661-AADA-AD45C872315C.png

AA43073B-7C3D-445E-9AE8-E776D9684F8F.png

• Like 4

On 7/5/2020 at 3:40 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Mash out nearly done

Where's the Mash Shamus - all gone as far as I can tell? 

But I am not a Grainfather-Robobrew-Guten expert....

Is not Mash-Out done while the grain is still in the fluid - like your @72 15 rest Kelsey @Otto Von Blotto ?