Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

5 hours ago, Hairy said:

If you want a low AA% hop with a fruity kick you should try Wai-iti.  They are around 2-3% AA so you can go nuts with it.

Cheers Hairy. It looks to be right what I was after!  Have you or anyone noticed any strange aromas or smells the first 2 weeks with riwaka that fades? I read it could do that, I was going to do pretty much a SW Pac ale but sub riwaka for galaxy but after reading a few people getting an off flavour and aroma for a few weeks I decided to back it off, just wondering if maybe it was a crop year or an attribute of the hop. Anyone that has used these please chime in. Me is ignant.

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

Cheers Hairy. It looks to be right what I was after!  Have you or anyone noticed any strange aromas or smells the first 2 weeks with riwaka that fades? I read it could do that, I was going to do pretty much a SW Pac ale but sub riwaka for galaxy but after reading a few people getting an off flavour and aroma for a few weeks I decided to back it off, just wondering if maybe it was a crop year or an attribute of the hop. Anyone that has used these please chime in. Me is ignant.

I have only used it a couple of times but didn’t experience strange aromas.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Yeah I probably was being too cautious. Now I am tossing up going all riwaka.

Nah, I am going with the blend. In my brewery ( the back pagola) we have to have a pretty good reason to not add Amarillo to every brew. I mean every brew. Porter - why not ( who am I kidding I don't brew these)? Lager - ya beaut! Pale ale - like peanut butter and jelly. Red ale - oh yeah! Wheat beer - made for it. Leftover IPA - yes please. Saison - we don't say or brew that here, please leave.

Anyways, back on point. Yeah I read this article which got me wanting to blend it.

https://sillysir.com/riwaka-hops-new-zealand/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Yeah I probably was being too cautious. Now I am tossing up going all riwaka.

Nah, I am going with the blend. In my brewery ( the back pagola) we have to have a pretty good reason to not add Amarillo to every brew. I mean every brew. Porter - why not ( who am I kidding I don't brew these)? Lager - ya beaut! Pale ale - like peanut butter and jelly. Red ale - oh yeah! Wheat beer - made for it. Leftover IPA - yes please. Saison - we don't say or brew that here, please leave.

Anyways, back on point. Yeah I read this article which got me wanting to blend it.

https://sillysir.com/riwaka-hops-new-zealand/

I have an idea. Perhaps you should blend it with Amarillo.

• Haha 1

Recipe: Hazy Pale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          36.4 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          36.4 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         3          18.2 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         4          9.1 %         0.33 L        
10.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min          Hop           5          16.9 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          4.7 IBUs      -             
40.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           7          7.9 IBUs      -             
40.00 g          Samba [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           8          5.3 IBUs      -             
40.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days             Hop           9          0.0 IBUs      -             
40.00 g          Samba [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days               Hop           10         0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saison Yeast for this one

• Like 6

Today was the 2nd lager brew before it warms up down south. Simple German lager minus the Weyermann pilsner I usually use due to COVID. This time its Aussie pilsner malt.

• 4kg JW Export Pilsner
  • 0.35kg Weyermann Vienna
  • 60min Hallertauer - 16IBU
  • 5min   Hallertauer - 4IBU
  • W34-70

Will be interesting to see the difference in Pilsner malts. I might try NZ plisner for the next one if I cant get hold of any Weyermann.

• Like 3

nothing exciting for me but have my third batch going now, starter kit lager, still content to learn more about the process before i get a bit more adventurous. still a week away from actually tasting any of my homebrew too, but i'm a week closer than i was last week 🙂

IMG_5693.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stickers said:

nothing exciting for me but have my third batch going now, starter kit lager, still content to learn more about the process before i get a bit more adventurous. still a week away from actually tasting any of my homebrew too, but i'm a week closer than i was last week 🙂

IMG_5693.jpg

Sounds like you have a good pipeline of beer waiting, nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 3:22 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Do you guys wait until the boil has started before stirring in the hot break/foam? 

Stir likey like a lunatic in the Mash but niiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvver in me life stirrrred the boil.....mmmmm. maybe once?

On 8/15/2020 at 7:02 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Mmmmmm not so sure Kelsey - have had a few hop froth boil ups on my SS Tuns.... ....

I've never had one. Maybe it's because I wait for the foam to subside before adding hops (other than FWH obviously being added well before it's even boiling).

• Thanks 1

Fruit if the Woods again! I enjoyed it so much last time I am doing it again. Using Karri honey this time, which is delicious. Hops are steeping and I am enjoying a Coopers XPA.  Enjoyable beer and might be my next brew :)

• Like 3

On 8/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, Norris! said:

In my brewery ( the back pagola) we have to have a pretty good reason to not add Amarillo to every brew. I mean every brew. Porter - why not ( who am I kidding I don't brew these)? Lager - ya beaut! Pale ale - like peanut butter and jelly. Red ale - oh yeah! Wheat beer - made for it. Leftover IPA - yes please. Saison - we don't say or brew that here, please leave.

Ha ha luvyerwork Norris!?!  ; )

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

You always boil with the lid off?

Think my problem is that I think - oh - not rolling boil enough - put lid on - and then have foam ups problem...

Yep, the lid stays off once the mash out is done and the bag hoisted up. The only other time it goes on is during the whirlpool, largely to prevent too much heat loss. 

Makes sense that putting the lid on would lead to excessive foaming when it comes to a boil. Does the same thing cooking things on the stove. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

Recipe: dark hoppy wheat
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Dunkles Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 40.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         1          56.6 %        1.96 L        
2.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         2          37.7 %        1.30 L        
0.15 kg          Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC)       Grain         3          2.8 %         0.10 L        
0.15 kg          Gladfield Roasted Wheat (550.0 EBC)              Grain         4          2.8 %         0.10 L        
10.00 g          Zappa [9.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min                   Hop           5          10.3 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          14.4 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Samba [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           7          16.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) [124.21 ml]     Yeast         8          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 5

On 8/14/2020 at 9:00 PM, Hairy said:

Your playoff IPA looks nice by the way.

I just took a gravity sample and I have brewed with riwaka before, awhile ago. I clearly remember the taste and aroma, sweet stone fruity like, is what I get. I didnt like them that much from memory. Oh well let's see if I like this batch. I might adjust the dry hop weights.

14 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Your playoff IPA looks nice by the way.

I just took a gravity sample and I have brewed with riwaka before, awhile ago. I clearly remember the taste and aroma, sweet stone fruity like, is what I get. I didnt like them that much from memory. Oh well let's see if I like this batch. I might adjust the dry hop weights.

Perhaps you should have blended it with Amarillo.

• Haha 2