Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

The original is supposed to be around 8.5%.  I would be happy to call that RIS territory.

My efficiency was down about 7 points.  Probably because it was a big grain bill that pushed the Grainfather to its limits.  My brew looks like being around 7%.  More of a Foreign Extra Stout.  The SG samples taste nice. 

I'll wear the WIMP badge with pride.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

@James Lao  James

What's going on man??? Got 1080 with your recipe. Holy Moley boy.

IMG20201003213821.jpg

Filled my fermenter to 21 and 1/2 litres. Explains a bit. One eye on footy, the other brewing. Oh well. Should knock some socks off Grand Final day.

• Haha 2

Back on Brew Day - another Ale of sorts.... exactly the same freshly milled Grain Bill as the IPA last week including Voyager Atlas Pale Barley Malt - but will use EKG and Fuggles for hopping.... same yeast US05 - will be interesting to see the difference...

image.thumb.png.a42069a8bae137c38da43f8b0a718ad4.png

• Like 6

Call this one 'experimental'.  Trying out MJ's M12 Kveik for the first time in this low-ish ABV, generously hopped, English bitter inspired brew.  Recommended temp range for fermentation is 30-40º so I guess I'll aim for somewhere in the middle!

• 2.8kg GF Ale Malt
  • 300g GF Redback Malt
  • 100g Carafa I
  • 15g Sticklebract @35mins
  • 25g NZ Fuggles @15min
  • 25g NZ Goldings @10min
  • 25g NZ Fuggles @5min
  • 25g NZ Goldings @FO
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M12 Yeast

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@MartyG1525230263, I am planning a similar lower ABV Pilsner Urquell clone for this weekend.  Not using Vienna though.  Plus I have not graduated to liquid yeasts yet.  Using W-34/70.

We might have to compare results.

The 200g of Vienna was only there as i did not have enough Pils or Pale and the Vienna was all i had. Don't think it will really have an impact. Usually it is 95% Pils and 5% Carapils.  The Urquell 2001 is about gen 7 or 8 that i have harvested. 

• Like 1

Been crazy busy with work the last couple of months and have not made much beer at all. Public holiday yesterday and I got two partial mash keg fillers down. 4kg pilsener malt mashed at 67c. Boiled for 30 mins with a flameout of 70gm centennial steeped for 10 mins. Cooled down to 40c and dumped half in one fermenter with a real ale can and topped up to 20L. Pitched a 1L starter of imperial kvieking. Temp would have been around 30c I'm guessing. OG of 1046. Its sitting at ambient with a 3 inch krausen.

Continued cooling down to 25 and put that in another fermenter with a real ale can and topped up with chilled down water. Pitch temperature of 19c with 2L new world strong and fermenting at 20c with an OG of 1047.

Will dry hop with 40gm each of something.

Next weekend will smash out another two fillers before I go back to full grain.

• Like 8

On 9/27/2020 at 7:20 AM, Woodsy1525230278 said:

Easy one yesterday

Coopers Pale tin

1Kg LDME

400g beechwood mountain honey

25g Mosaic at 30 mins and 10 mins

US 05 Pitched at 18

OG 1042

Cheers 🍻

Follow up on this. 
day 7 SG reading 1.018. 
dry hopped with 50g Mosaic... still bubbling away 5 days after! I’d guess it’s from C02 nucleating on the hops as the SG hasn’t shifted much... I was expecting slightly lower FG than 1018, but I did use LDME and no dextrose. Do you reckon it’s done at 1.018 as been in fermenter for 12 days? 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 8:17 PM, Pale Man said:

@James Lao  James

What's going on man??? Got 1080 with your recipe. Holy Moley boy.

IMG20201003213821.jpg

Hey Pale Man,

I normally do 24 litre brews, sorry forgot to mention that!

Thats gonna be a big beer mate!!

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Woodsy1525230278 said:

Follow up on this. 
day 7 SG reading 1.018. 
dry hopped with 50g Mosaic... still bubbling away 5 days after! I’d guess it’s from C02 nucleating on the hops as the SG hasn’t shifted much... I was expecting slightly lower FG than 1018, but I did use LDME and no dextrose. Do you reckon it’s done at 1.018 as been in fermenter for 12 days? 

Done!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Woodsy1525230278 said:

Follow up on this. 
day 7 SG reading 1.018. 

Yep I agree Done. The higher FG is probably the dextrines in the honey.  

• Thanks 1

I am getting a brew on, an overnight mash to cut the brew day in half. The 5 min addition is at flameout and the hopstands are cube hops at around 78c.

I am doing a step mash of 40c 20min, 50c 20 min, 65c 80 min, 76c 540 min for 11 hours before the boil, so wake up before 6:30am. ignore the recipe mash steps. 

Have not decided on the yeast yet, thinking kveik for the esters or the east coast yeast for the biotransformation. Probably will go with the kveik.

Good brewing

Norris

Screenshot_20201009-195356_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20201009-195416_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

Brew day went well. Was out there at 7:15am and 90% done cleaning with a cube filled by 8:40am. I am boiling up some water in the Guten to give it a good clean with sodium perc and I will be done. Very smooth and I don't feel tired with the whole day left instead of finishing at 12.

I cut the boil short at 45 min, as I had hit my gravity. The samples tasted good, right bitter but good, I don't brew a lot of 45+ IBU brews but I expect fermentation to calm it down some while the big dry hop will bring you in for another drink. It should be juicy so we will see.

Good brewing,

Norris

• Like 5

Brew day yesterday which was a bit all over the shop actually. Did the Captain Responsible recipe from Hoppy Days.

Overshot my target efficiency and ended up with a 1.044 OG when I was aiming for 1.038. I usually enter their recipes into Beer Smith and dial it back to suit the 79% efficiency I usually get, but was too lazy and rushed last week.

Its supposed to be a mid strength beer, and I suppose it still will be. I added an extra litre of water to the fermenter to drop it back a little, but didn’t want to go too rash for fear of diluting the flavours somewhat.

Still looks and smells amazing, and with a Cashmere and Citra dry hop it should top it off nicely.

Link to the recipe here.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2020 at 10:02 AM, James Lao said:

Hey Pale Man,

I normally do 24 litre brews, sorry forgot to mention that!

Thats gonna be a big beer mate!!

Cheers

James

Started at 1080 finished at 1012. By my calculations nearly 9%

That's a lumpy IPA 🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 1