Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The long boil is supposed to promote Maillard reaction but I don’t know if it did. The reduction definitely would have.

Thanks Hairy.  Couple minutes too late - gave up at 75 mins and am cooling down now ; )

I always seem to get the Maillard caramelisation thing going - if colour change is anything to go by... 

Am just going to cop the larger volume and see if I can brew a lower ABV beer for a change!?!  

Plenty malt n hops so hopefully will taste good but might reduce the 'cold crashing' of my drinking buddies😝

@Fergy1987 don’t get caught up on chasing efficiency. It will eventually line up and you’ll be getting too much efficiency.

id look at your volumes..... as an example, I’ve found that 3.6L per kilo of grain is good for an ale, and for a lager I’m pushing 4.1L per kilo. A thicker mash tends to yield higher extract but It does come down to beer style and means you then adjust your sparging volumes. Keep in mind though, you can over sparge and dilute your wort. It’s a bit of farting around but you’ll find the sweet spot for how you like to brew. 

Do u boil at full power?

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

@Fergy1987 don’t get caught up on chasing efficiency. It will eventually line up and you’ll be getting too much efficiency.

id look at your volumes..... as an example, I’ve found that 3.6L per kilo of grain is good for an ale, and for a lager I’m pushing 4.1L per kilo. A thicker mash tends to yield higher extract but It does come down to beer style and means you then adjust your sparging volumes. Keep in mind though, you can over sparge and dilute your wort. It’s a bit of farting around but you’ll find the sweet spot for how you like to brew. 

Do u boil at full power?

Nah I've been boiling at 1800w I wonder if I should up that a bit. The element does seem to flick on and off throughout the boil. 

I think I had 4.24 per kilo in my mash so yeah maybe I need to look at that

I mean at the end of the day my gob can't tell the difference between a 5% beer and a 4% beer so as long as it tastes good I'm not too bothered. Just want to get a standard process sorted for consistency 

• Like 2

@Fergy1987 

If you’ve worked out boil off rate at that power it should be accurate enough in the software your using. I crank my guten full bickies for mash and boil. I’d have a play and see if it changes though.

4.21 might be on the loose side, so I’d personally reel that in a bit. There is a bit of a balance you have to find. If your mash is too thick, there is too much protein (I think it’s protein, could be something else) in solution which inhibits easy access to the starch, meaning less conversion or fermentables. Too watery and there’s to much space between the starch and dilution occurs or a longer mash is required. 

yew

On 11/1/2020 at 3:07 PM, Journeyman said:

Got a bit slack keeping track and the Fixation blew so past time for a new one - using up some old stock so not quite the same recipe. 1 pkt US05, 1 pkt S04 because they were getting on a bit. Little packs of 5g each.

Hopefully I will get to have some of this one - missus and mates like it so I tend to drink the others but Fixation was always a goal for doing HB in the first place. 😄

I did 2 brews - the Fix quoted here and an XPA-type. The Fix came in at 1.074 and the XPA at 1.072. In both I used the low carb enzyme, understanding it might increase ABV due to making more sugars accessible. The spreadsheet shows them expected at 7.3% & 7.1% - I've just checked SG and both are sitting around 1.010% giveing me ~8.5% for Fix and 8.3% for the XPA.

And given it's only 7 days and 6 days and the enzyme is meant to ferment longer than normal, they may not be finished yet. 😄

Looking very clear in the tubes also - I used whirfloc in last 10 mins of boil.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 10:44 AM, Journeyman said:

The spreadsheet shows them expected at 7.3% & 7.1% - I've just checked SG and both are sitting around 1.010% giving me ~8.5% for Fix and 8.3% for the XPA.

Both brews are down to 1.006, putting them at 9/1% and 8.8%.

If anyone asks how to increase their ABV, suggest the low carb enzyme. 😄 These are the 2 strongest brews I have made and the SG taste was very nice. Rounded flavour all across the tongue, noticeable bitterness at back of the mouth but not overly so,  no sharp alcohol bite, very slight spritzig from them.

Will check for FG tomorrow...

American Pale ale.

3.5kg pale

1kg Munich

300g carapils

100g wheat

250g honey

20g galaxy 60 boil

10 each galaxy and mosaic hopstand

Verdant yeast.

Not sure about the hops as it gives me around 58 IBU which is just under the style guidelines. Just does not seem enough. Anyway i will dry hop this with 30g mosaic on day 3.

• Like 2

Recipe: 1088 Stout
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Foreign Extra Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 83.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 107.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          39.2 %        1.96 L        
3.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         2          39.2 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Gladfield Brown Malt (178.0 EBC)                 Grain         3          6.5 %         0.33 L        
0.35 kg          Gladfield Roasted Wheat (550.0 EBC)              Grain         4          4.6 %         0.23 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         5          2.6 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         6          1.3 %         0.07 L        
0.50 kg          Dextrose (Briess) [Boil] (2.0 EBC)               Sugar         7          6.5 %         0.32 L        
85.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           8          107.1 IBUs    -             
1.0 pkg          German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) [124.21 ml]     Yeast         9          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

Recipe: Hoppy Amber
Style: Red IPA

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 32.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 64.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          42.9 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         2          42.9 %        1.63 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          8.6 %         0.33 L        
0.30 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         4          5.1 %         0.20 L        
0.03 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         5          0.5 %         0.02 L        
15.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min          Hop           6          27.2 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           7          13.8 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           8          23.3 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsure what yeast... maybe Kveik?

• Like 3

Recipe: Hazy IPA
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 75.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          48.3 %        2.28 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          27.6 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         3          13.8 %        0.65 L        
0.75 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         4          10.3 %        0.49 L        
30.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min          Hop           5          43.9 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          11.9 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           7          20.1 IBUs     -             

Similar issues with yeast, dunno, Kveik or a wheat yeast.

• Like 2

Nice little tasty mini mash before I do my second all grain mid next week. Warming up.

Coopers Pale tin, Coopers Liquid Wheat extract, 250 grams of oats, 200 grams of Gladfield Ale malt, 100 grams of LDME.

Hopstand 15 minutes with Hort, dry hop 50 grams with Huell Melon.

IMG20201115092207.jpg

• Like 2

Boiling the concentrated AG wort of yet another low ABV kveik brew.  This one is modelled on an English Ordinary bitter but with a generous dose of non-traditional late hops - 50g Nelson and 50g Motueka.  

• 2.8kg GF Ale malt
  • 200g GF Redback Wheat Malt
  • 200g GF Med Crystal malt
  • 50g Roasted Barley
  • 25g Nelson @20mins
  • 25g Motueka @10mins
  • 25g Motueka @5mins
  • 25g Neslon Steep
  • 5g gypsum
  • M12 Kveik

IMG20201120121751.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

Brew day, late as but oh well, I am doing my Christmas brewing now,1st up is my house pale ale recipe with some different hops.

4.7kg Barrett Burston pale ale malt

500g Munich

250g carapils

200g caramunich

250g acidulated malt

8g of Columbus FWH

20g of mosaic, citra and simcoe cubed at 78c

50g of mosaic, citra and simcoe dry hop

1.054 OG 33IBU 23liters

US05 yeast 2 packets

65c mash with mash out and will ferment at 18c.

After this, maybe tomorrow morning, a NEIPA and a mango and passionfruit cider by MJ.

Shout out to BB for making sure a bloke is doing alright. I truly appreciate that, it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling or was that the last of my tropical ale? @Bearded Burbler

Cheers

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 3

Entered Hazy boi territory today. It’s been a while. 

Pilsner, munich, oats and wheat

using some hops I’ve never used before...

eldorado, idaho7 and galaxy. 

got some Norwegian yeast currently populating the fermenter. 

Should end up at 6.1%. Smells great.

6D4AD6E0-EC3C-41B9-9781-CDA65A824C1C.png

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Norris! said:

or was that the last of my tropical ale?

Haha given the recent equatorial temps and then add to that a few lovely tropical AG ales on tap I suspect one's windscreen could become a bit fuzzy quite quickly and not just from the millions of bugs that have appeared with the onset of summer 🤪

Certainly need to keep yer mouth closed when on the rider-mower at night with the lights on otherwise yer get a swag of insect-based protein before yer know it haha! 

• Haha 2

RYE NOT... Rye Not Retro?

Haha cloth earrings resembling rye flowering ?!?!... 

------

image.thumb.png.e1a751f981443d4074dff0416aa1d571.png------

The first crack at a Hoppy Red Rye Ale...  Malt Bill made up of Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt, Rye, Wheat, and then Chocolate-Carafa II-Med Crystal for some tone and colour... hopefully will work ok... first trial... 63-64 deg... whether I get the red or not who knows... but we'll have a crack...

image.thumb.png.1d55e501bd82c524af67cc47ffd9efa9.png

Mash now underway Woohoo...

And today's brewing song is:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Moving on to another lovely All Grainer... building up the stocks....

Mash Stage:

Half Bo Pils 
Half Straight Pils
Wheat
Then later a dried Hibiscus Steep

Bitterness Perle then late Vic Secret - Cascade - Citra...

A cuppla refreshing Candy Melon - Lime - fresh garden Mint - Granitas to spruce up the Brewing Team...  and get hydrated for the Beer Fest later on haha! 

Festive AG HBs later only once the hop boil is underway ; )

image.thumb.png.14268efd1678b1fb6b96c69d4275eaa7.png

• Like 2

Pilsner again today, it's about the only thing I have all the ingredients for at the moment. Next weekend I have to buy a sack of ale malt and the week after some hops so I can make a couple of ales. At least with these two pilsners in fermenters I've got time 😂

Anyway, it's boiling away now, about an hour left, total time 100 minutes. Pre boil SG was 1.038 so I'm expecting the OG around 1.047/8. 

No idea what the efficiencies are since the desktop with beersmith on it won't turn on (switch issue, loose button or something), but the SG is pretty much the same as always so it should be all good. Planned to pitch it tomorrow but will be too busy so Monday it will be. 

• Like 3