Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Got a bit slack keeping track and the Fixation blew so past time for a new one - using up some old stock so not quite the same recipe. 1 pkt US05, 1 pkt S04 because they were getting on a bit. Little packs of 5g each.

Hopefully I will get to have some of this one - missus and mates like it so I tend to drink the others but Fixation was always a goal for doing HB in the first place. 😄

image.png.0e79efbf4eb32a804343011f58e7abd0.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Got a bit slack keeping track and the Fixation blew so past time for a new one - using up some old stock so not quite the same recipe. 1 pkt US05, 1 pkt S04 because they were getting on a bit. Little packs of 5g each.

Hopefully I will get to have some of this one - missus and mates like it so I tend to drink the others but Fixation was always a goal for doing HB in the first place. 😄

Not often I get OG spot on. Usually miss by 3 or 4 points but this was precise! Maybe because I did a 2-stage sparge?

• Like 2

Mid ale

2.8 kg Maris Otter

.25 kg Munich

.17 kg Caramunich

.07 kg Acid malt

1 Tspn Cal sulphate

Half whirlfloc tablet 15 min

10g Simcoe 7 min 

10g Galaxy 7 min

18g Sim and Gal cubed

20g each dry

OG 1034      IBU 23     US05 Yeast     

My first MID strength 😀

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, QK said:

Mid ale

2.8 kg Maris Otter

.25 kg Munich

.17 kg Caramunich

.07 kg Acid malt

1 Tspn Cal sulphate

Half whirlfloc tablet 15 min

10g Simcoe 7 min 

10g Galaxy 7 min

18g Sim and Gal cubed

20g each dry

OG 1034      IBU 23     US05 Yeast     

My first MID strength 😀

Whats mid strength??? 🤔😃

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Time for another Queensland Sunburn. A little less RedX and a tad more Galaxy for the 60 min addition. Let's see where this takes us. I just can't stop messing with the recipe 🙂 

1994811667_ScreenShot2020-11-01at12_19_40pm.png.cda566616dc758ed8030e76d08a814e9.png

I may have to bastardise this and have a crack

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

First All Grain tomorrow. A nice pale Ale, single hopped with Hort.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice PM!

Good luck with that brew mate - Go you good thing!

Lovely stuff.

Think me man @Aussiekraut AK is a Hort-iculturalist  ; )

What are the tones of this hop AK and PM - I have not yet had the good fortune of having a crack at Hort...

Hope it works out really well for you PM mate.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

BB

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What are the tones of this hop AK and PM - I have not yet had the good fortune of having a crack at Hort...

https://beerco.com.au/products/nectaron-hort4337-nz-hops

Never tried BB. On the recommendation of Hoppy81. I'm pretty sure this will turn out tasty. But whatever happens its all about learning a process so i know what its all about.

I'm pumped.  

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Just because one of my go-to beers is The HORTiculturalist ey? 🙂 

I pick up some tropical flavours but also a hint of lemon in the aftertaste. I quite like it. Very suitable as a single hop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brewed what’s become my house pale ale. A west coast American thing of sorts. Was brewed for a mate but I’ll sneak a few bottles out before it goes off to it’s new home in his keg.

Pale malt 

Munich 

crystal 40 

Columbus for bittering

cascade, centennial and more Columbus as WP. 

37IBU 

OG 1.051 

yank05

abv 5.3%

was my first use of adjusted town water minus the chlorine (courtesy of a new filter). keen to see how it goes compared to RO.

Using a “hoppy pale ale” water profile, Mash pH was 5.35 after a few mls of lactic. Looks as though the water report may be reliable enough to get me in the ball park. 

All numbers lined up and I had a nice clean wort at end of boil. 

C7A2ADF3-F12C-4A71-BCD1-C8186B17C266.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 6

Recipe: Aussie Draught
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          94.1 %        2.61 L        
15.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop           2          16.9 IBUs     -             
0.25 kg          Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil] (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         3          5.9 %         0.16 L        
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
25.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  60 Hop           5          12.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

Brewed something light and hoppy today...

• 2.60kg GF Lager Light Malt
  • 400g GF Munich Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 20g Nectaron @35mins
  • 25g Riwaka @10mins
  • 30g Nectaron @5mins
  • 25g Riwaka FO
  • 5g Gypsum
  • M12 Kveik

Another one of those weird mashes that's ended up with a crazy high efficiency - 95% 😲   This was supposed to be another lower ABV/Carb brew (around 3.5-4%) but with an OG of 1.041 (instead of 1.036) and a Kveik that could possibly attenuate down to 1.005 this could end up more like 5% once its primed.  I did mash a tad warmer this time as the last one was just a bit too thin, so we'll see!

I like it that I can make a 5%ABV full-batch with only 3.2kg grain!  😎

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

I am on quarantine and get bored and bored. So, yesterday I was mashing. Today I'm gonna boil wort.

My energy company has been planning to switch electricity off for couple of hours today, so I have to wait till afternoon, as I use elecrtic boilers.

"South Raszyn APA" - (Raszyn is the place I live. It is pronounced exactly the same as "Russian" but with the Scottish "R")

12o Plato

5,0 kg - Pale Ale Malt - Malteurop
0,6 kg - Wheat Malt - Malteurop
0,3 kg - Biscuit Malt - CastelMalting

67oC stepping itself to 62oC - 60 min .
72oC - 10 min.

Chinook PL 50g + CascadePL 50g + Marynka 100g mixed togeather
10 min - 30g
5 min - 30g
Hopstand - 60g
Dry-hopping - 3 days - 80g

WLP067 - Costal Haze Ale Yeasts
First day - 19oC
Second day - 20oC
Fourth day 21oC till fermentation slows down
22oC  for the rest of fermentation cycle

Costal.jpg.ce7eaee9ce67e77b01c9de856088c6f8.jpg

Edited by Mirek Kania
  • Like 6

Brew Day Saturday... Something of a Pale Ale... 78% Voyager Veloria Malt and 12% Voyager Wheat...

And as usual Burbler Brewing's Brewery floor gets a vacuum after finalisation of milling...  never fail to make a mess ; )

Might not end up being that 'pale' but hopefully later with lots of Chinook and Columbus will be taschty:

image.thumb.png.cfc5949fe416d3a2f61d749baf9050e2.png

• Like 6

Just put down my Dr Smurto Golden Ale, a long brew day of 5.5 hours. Not sure why it took so long.

Cant seem to hit a decent efficiency which is a bit disheartening.

Brewfather predicted a preboil of 1.045 and I had 1.042 - Predicted a post boil of 1.051 but I only had 1.045 or 1.046 - just doesnt seem like enough of a change.

Just not sure why I'm not even coming close to 70% with my Guten. This is something like 61% or something.

Will have to start looking at some factors as to why this is the case.

Basically have come up with the following

a) LHBS is not grinding fine enough, or too fine? no idea
b) My lack of water chemistry
c) Volumes may be off potentially, Maybe I should sparge with less or less mash water.

The journey continues and it will hopefully still make a decent beer so *shrugs* not too phased....even though I am 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Fergy1987 said:

it will hopefully still make a decent beer

Fer Sher it will make a great Beer Fergs!  Do not lose hope mate - my efficiency is not great - I buy bags of malt and am not overly concerned.... I just add a bit more grain....the beer tastes good and that is what counts... but I will be watching with interest as you make the journey in efficiency improvement as there will be some learnings there for me too I am sure - so thanks in advance mate - and enjoy that lovely beer when it comes!!!  

Cheers

BB

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, Hairy said:

Wee Heavy today.

2 hour boil and a reduction. Something different for me.

Hairy (and any other Long Boiling Legends) - what are we getting from such a long boil?

Just concentration of the Wort or more Maillard Reactions or?

I just seem to have overshot on my pseudo-sparge.... so am wondering whether a long boil might be worth trying?

16 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yes.... and.... was it worth the boredom haha?

It's either keep boiling or I might end up with a lighter brew for once ; )

The boil wasn’t too bad. I found things to do.

The long boil is supposed to promote Maillard reaction but I don’t know if it did. The reduction definitely would have.

This beer is going into a barrel for six months so I won’t know for a while.

• Like 1