Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

35 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That is one of the reasons I switched to Brewfather.  One fee and I can use it on any device with a browser, the app on my iPhone, the app on my android tablet, etc.

I can put beersmith on the laptop but yeah. It's not a big deal with this brew, the recipe in my book was done with the same bag of hops so it's already written out. The only thing I had to do different was throw a few grams of magnum into the 80 minute addition as I didn't quite have enough saaz left, was only short by 8g though. 

I also forgot I ran out of brewbrite so unfortunately no kettle finings this time around. Nice cloudy crap tasting pilsner ahead methinks...since that's what happened last time. 

I was gonna go to Hoppy days to get the bag of malt but I will go to craftbrewer instead so I can get a bag of brewbrite as well. Hoppy days doesn't stock it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mid strength pacific ale. 

2kg BB ale malt
1kg BB wheat
0.2kg Crystal (40L)
5g Galaxy (14.3%) @60
20g Galaxy (14.3%) @5
20g Galaxy (14.3%) whirlpool/steep
35g Galaxy (14.3%) dry hop @ day 4

45 minute mash @72C, 60min boil

IMG_6567.thumb.jpg.49bcae598a737489cef10410c0fb7bbb.jpg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 6

Yesterday I mashed in 20,5 liters of water:

4,5 kg Pale Ale Malteurop

0,5 kg Wheat malt Malteurop

0,3 kg Monach VikingMalt

0,1 kg Buiscit VikingMalt

55C - 15 minutes

65C - 30 minutes

73C - 40 minutes

76C - 10 minutes

17 liters sparge water 78C

Today I am boiling:

60 minutes - 28g Marynka cca 7%aa - own growen

15 minutes - 20g Saaz 3,5%aa

I am gonna use WLP067 yeast cake.

Have no idea how to name that beer yet. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mirek Kania said:

Yesterday I mashed in 20,5 liters of water:

4,5 kg Pale Ale Malteurop

0,5 kg Wheat malt Malteurop

0,3 kg Monach VikingMalt

0,1 kg Buiscit VikingMalt

55C - 15 minutes

65C - 30 minutes

73C - 40 minutes

76C - 10 minutes

What is the reason for the protein rest? Is this something you do with all your beers or just when particular malts are used?

I am not very expirienced, so i do tests. I brewed nearly the same beer last year, doing just infusion mashing. Now I have nice mashing tan with electric stirred, and can easyly try, if I can get better or worse, if make more complex mashing. I wonder if in fact my beer would get worse foam if I make protein test.

That is the only reason.

12 minutes ago, Mirek Kania said:

I am not very expirienced, so i do tests. I brewed nearly the same beer last year, doing just infusion mashing. Now I have nice mashing tan with electric stirred, and can easyly try, if I can get better or worse, if make more complex mashing. I wonder if in fact my beer would get worse foam if I make protein test.

That is the only reason.

It's good to experiment. Let us know the results.

I did some step mashes for a period of time but found the protein rest didn't do anything for my beers. Now I only step mash if there is a high proportion of wheat. I start with a Beta Glucan rest and work my way up.

Good luck with it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Is Viking Malt more angry than other European Malts?

image.png.959e497f6e6c0047aa48f5b208f26d4e.png

from what I've heard they were the same as anyone else back then they went to new lands to explore and take what they needed. History is written by the victors so all the French and English that wrote about them killed more of their own and other people. Now back to beer I didn't know there was a viking malt 

• Haha 1

Viking Malt is the company with origin of Finland. It joined Danish Malting Group which was the owner of two Polish malthouses in the citys of Sierpc and Strzegom, since 2004. They own 6 malting houses in 5 different countries and produce cca 600 k tones of malt yearly.

The malt is bloody aggressive, but if you know how to handle it , you can reach pretty good results. Just do not pull it's beard and it will be fine, mate. 😉

Some history facts points that our first christian soveraign Mieszko I was in fact a Viking, who took power in the state of Polans in 960. Then baptized Poland and it's people Polans (this name is no longer in use) in 966. Since then, Polish statehood is counted by the history. So, as you can see, Vikings tried to gain our malthouses for more then 1000 years, and they finaly reached the goal in XXI century. But only two, yet.

Edited by Mirek Kania
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Mirek Kania said:

Vikings tried to gain our malthouses for more then 1000 years, and they finaly reached the goal in XXI century. But only two, yet.

Nice analysis there Mirek - luvyerwork 😆

Poland would produce a reasonable amount of Barley and Wheat?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

After reading “IPA” a book about....well....IPAs, their history and everything in between, yadda yadda yadda, I  became somewhat inspired and decided to put together a proper IPA recipe of my own.  Something the neighborhood of a late 80s, early 90s American number. Not a fruit bomb like today’s modern rendition, but more English malt driven, backed up with some American hops. 

English ale malt,

munich

crystal

carapils.

burtonised water profile

warrior, Willamette and cascade all in the boil to 65IBU. 

English ale yeast 

simcoe and centennial going in as a dry hop. 

After temp adjust, I came up 3 points short on my OG of 1.065, but not overly worried. Stoked on the color and the aroma of what I was left with.

A44DB135-6FCE-458E-BA95-FB91E75D1719.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

English ale yeast 

This beer looks like another MB Brewing classic brew Mitchie!  What yeastie beastie did you use mate?  (yes I see English Ale Yeast but guess there might be a few that fall under that class?)

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2020 at 12:06 AM, Mirek Kania said:

Some history facts points that our first christian soveraign Mieszko I was in fact a Viking, who took power in the state of Polans in 960. Then baptized Poland and it's people Polans (this name is no longer in use) in 966. 

There's a mythical story that Mieszko had very fat fingers and when he typed the word Polans he accidently hit the D key by mistake. And that my friends is how Polans actually became Poland. 😉 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

There's a mythical story that Mieszko had very fat fingers and when he typed the word Polans he accidently hit the D key by mistake. And that my friends is how Polans actually became Poland. 😉 

It was that damn little keyboard on his iPhone.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

This beer looks like another MB Brewing classic brew Mitchie!  What yeastie beastie did you use mate?  (yes I see English Ale Yeast but guess there might be a few that fall under that class?)

Haha definitely a broad category. It was the white labs English ale, I think it was the 002. Currently going full burko as per my what’s in ya fermenter post. 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

That is one of the reasons I switched to Brewfather.  One fee and I can use it on any device with a browser, the app on my iPhone, the app on my android tablet, etc.

Love Brewfather Shamus. Once you get used to it, theres no going back. Its actually a non negotiable. 

• Like 1