Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 5.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          66.7 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          33.3 %        0.65 L        
6.00 g           Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min                Hop           3          5.5 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Berliner Weisse Blend Wyeast 3191 PC             Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

On 10/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

You are truly the Free Spirit of brewing...  the Malt Bill might construe a wheat beer - along with the Yeast... but megahop brings along the IPA scene...

Nah, it's a style.

Should be 7% is around 1.010

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

How did that go today Hairy?

all to plan? What was ya gravity in the end?

It was easy. Took about 3 litres of first runnings and reduced it on the stove to about a litre and added it back to the boil.

A two hour boil tests the patience, though.

I haven’t checked the gravity yet, I usually do that when I pitch it, but I’m expecting around 1080.

• Like 2

Starting a long run of lagers tomorrow with a KB lager. This was a bit of a hit at my dads 75th back in late august. For a megaswill clone its pretty darn tasty. Probably the lack of sugar in it. 

Will be mashed at 65c and fermented at 10c from a1741290730_Screenshot_20201026-224302_BeerSmith3.thumb.jpg.bc57db818de540a68a8653f7dcf397eb.jpg 3L starter with a free rise d rest starting probably around day 4 or 5. 

Screenshot_20201026-224252_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 5

Brewing my first non pressure ferment yeast driven beer in about 8 months.   Just a old school Aussie Sparkling Ale using harvested Coopers Sparkling Ale yeast.  Will ferment at a stable 22c so will have to use the fermentation fridge for the 1st time since February.  

image_2020-10-27_103430.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So did that turn out OK? 

Turned out great Marty. The 2 months lagering helped a lot with it. The southern German lager yeast promotes malt flavours heavily. In my opinion probably a little too heavily for a clean lager but the punters at my dads party loved it. I'm going to make a couple of batches and lager for the Xmas party. I'm also going to make a schwarzbier with this yeast. I haven't made one in a couple of years but I think this will make a very special schwarzbier. And the good thing about this lager yeast is its done in under a week.

• Like 2

Just got my next two grain bills delivered - Gotta love Craftbrewer and their next day delivery.

First will be a Dr Smurto Golden Ale - although since discovered this recipe has evolved somewhat so I'm brewing the old one.

3kg Pilsner
1kg Munich I
1kg Wheat Malt
300g Carmunich I

15.5g Magnum @ 60 - 20IBU
52g Amarillo @ Flameout for something like 13 IBU - Since I am no chilling I figured best to put all at flameout rather than some late in the boil

Next brew will be a clone of Brewdog's Dead Pony Pale Ale which is a smaller grain bill, but wont be brewing that for a while.

• Like 4

Hoppy pale again. 
Not sure of the name

6F281FF5-93D7-4ABD-884F-35571B8873E4.png

2C4FB156-8E6C-4D8B-80F3-285A7C522FA8.png
I gave this beer to a few people round for comment and some of the feedback was.

This beer is ridiculous.

I think this is the best beer I’ve ever had

I am obsessed 

If that was for sale, every time we wanted beer we would buy this every single time.

I was a bit stoked with that feedback.

Also I did not know these people. I gave to friends to give to there friends so it could be more honest feedback

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Hoppy pale again. 
Not sure of the name

6F281FF5-93D7-4ABD-884F-35571B8873E4.png

2C4FB156-8E6C-4D8B-80F3-285A7C522FA8.png

Awesome feedback Kirk! I can see why, that brew looks bloody lovely! I am just imaging the aromas and flavours coming through.

The double whirlpool, is good stuff, takes some patience but by the feedback it is worth it, you cube hopping that or chilling, guessing cubing from your comments but hey I am like a broken clock only right twice a day, so...

I have enough of these hops to brew this and have been tossing up doing the "holy trinity" as James Lao calls it but really want to do a southern tropic, citra and Amarillo next, hmmm, I am going to have a think.

When I do heavy flameout and cube additions with a dry hop, I notice that the flavour and aroma really sticks versus a light one and a big dry hop of the same amounts. As the beer ages it just matures into awesomeness and if I keep it for a while becomes a nice balanced beer to the last drop, not that they last to long. What have you noticed around these additions?

16 minutes ago, Norris! said:

So many wee jokes go through my head every time I see this comment.

So many...

Juvenile!

I was confused after reading the recipe. I went through it several times and still didn’t know when to add the wee. I settled on adding it when fermentation has finished.

Edited by Hairy
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Juvenile!

I was confused after reading the recipe. I went through it several times and still didn’t know when to add the wee. I settled on adding it when fermentation has finished.

A wee heavy, my 1st thought was a great northern clone?

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

The double whirlpool, is good stuff, takes some patience but by the feedback it is worth it, you cube hopping

First lot is in the kettle.

second lot is cube hopping. 

I dont post ever brew. But thought this one qualifies. 

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

When I do heavy flameout and cube additions with a dry hop, I notice that the flavour and aroma really sticks versus a light one and a big dry hop of the same amounts. As the beer ages it just matures into awesomeness and if I keep it for a while becomes a nice balanced beer to the last drop, not that they last to long. What have you noticed around these additions?

I guess I’ve brew intrial and what ever way and this works for me. 
this works for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lettucegrove said:

Ever tried heavy flameout and cube additions without a dry hop?

No. I thought about it but what I go for is intense aroma and flavour and I like the how dry hopping accentuates that.

What about you?

@Norris!  I tend to go with heavy flame out and cube, no dry hop. This gives me what I am after. I stopped dry hopping because I felt the aroma expected from this process wasn't really happening for me. I still kinda flirt with the idea of going all out and throwing a tonne in as a dry hop with minimal at flameout just to see how it compares. I probably should, I might be missing out haha

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lettucegrove said:

@Norris!  I tend to go with heavy flame out and cube, no dry hop. This gives me what I am after. I stopped dry hopping because I felt the aroma expected from this process wasn't really happening for me. I still kinda flirt with the idea of going all out and throwing a tonne in as a dry hop with minimal at flameout just to see how it compares. I probably should, I might be missing out haha

Yeah I totally agree.