Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Exactly. It is my house ale recipe with pilsner subbed for the Barret Burston Ale malt and I dropped the FWH addition for no boil. I am expecting some dankness from the Mosaic but counteracted by the azacca and citrusy flavours and aromas from mosaic in the dry hop.

Hopefully it isn't too sweet but smashable with a nice bready backbone. @Ben 10

19 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

LOVE IT!

I'll have to make a pacific ale again soon. No boil, all flameout.

TOO MANY BEERs TO MAKE

Azacca and mosaic is a great combo, with a touch of citra/Amarillo the orange really pops and contrasts to the pineapple and dankness the hops can bring. Alone these two go together like PoR in an Aussie draught, they just work. 

• Like 1

Put down a 'Fair Drinkum' Aussie Pale Ale today. Was a bit of a step up from my first 2 brews (Coopers ESB recipe and a Muntons St Peters Ruby Red Ale kit) in that it involved cracking and steeping crystal grains, boiling the liquid and then steeping Vic Secret/Enigma hops before straining off into the FV. Thankfully all seemed to go ok and the aromas from the crystal grain and hops was an enjoyable bonus 🙂 OG of 1040 which seems to be right for an expected ABV of 4.6%. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out 👍

Edited by lickedthestamp
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, lickedthestamp said:

Put down a 'Fair Drinkum' Aussie Pale Ale today. Was a bit of a step up from my first 2 brews (Coopers ESB recipe and a Muntons St Peters Ruby Red Ale kit) in that it involved cracking and steeping crystal grains, boiling the liquid and then steeping Vic Secret/Enigma hops before straining off into the FV. Thankfully all seemed to go ok and the aromas from the crystal grain and hops was an enjoyable bonus 🙂 OG of 1040 which seems to be right for an expected ABV of 4.6%. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out 👍

Sounds really nice, cannot wait to see a review.

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Check out some Trillium beers @Bearded BurblerTo help give some ideas for the Columbus hops.

https://www.trilliumbrewing.com/beers/double-dry-hopped-congress-street

Cool website Norris - thanks - and some lovely looking big beers and hop combos!!!  They seem to be keen on our good ol' Galaxy too hey ?! 😝

And I need to get some more Mosaic ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

IPA-ish time...  Malt Bill below... mashed done and on the boil now.  Anyone - I usually use a SS Mesh Hop Spider - do many of you Brewers just throw hop pellets into the boil and then it just hope it flocs out either in Boil Kettle, FV or Keg?   i.e. don't bother with a SS mesh or hop spider/tube?

image.png.4b4c5d9a5c53df78529d6f16959fb8f8.png

image.thumb.png.166315df6b52366ba0674bba1843df85.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

IPA-ish time...  Malt Bill below... mashed done and on the boil now.  Anyone - I usually use a SS Mesh Hop Spider - do many of you Brewers just throw hop pellets into the boil and then it just hope it flocs out either in Boil Kettle, FV or Keg?   i.e. don't bother with a SS mesh or hop spider/tube?

if I do an early addition I just toss that in because it is usually less than 10g, for the late additions I use a hop sock, muslin. Give it a good whirlpool and everything seems to settle out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

if I do an early addition I just toss that in because it is usually less than 10g, for the late additions I use a hop sock, muslin. Give it a good whirlpool and everything seems to settle out. 

oki doki - thanks Norris!!

My big addition will be late - so I will stick to my normal use of the ss spider... I am just wondering whether I am getting less out of the hops with them bound up in that SS mesh basket/spider rather than floating free... 

Gunna give that lovely Columbus a good hard run ha ha !?!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes, all my additions, they always drop out.

Apart from NEIPAS, they suck

More information required - why do NEIPAs suck?  

Aren't they supposed to be cloudy anyway?

Mmmm maybe I have missed something here ? 🤔

Russian Imperial Stout - Modus Operandi clone - They released the recipe a while ago.  Their recipe is all Gladfield grains, but I could not get all Gladfield, so had to adapt.

• 5.3kg Ale Malt (Gladfield)
  • 0.6kg Roasted Barley (Joe White)
  • 0.4kg Red Back Malt (Gladfield)
  • 0.4kg Aurora Malt (Gladfield)
  • 0.4kg Flaked Barley (Blue Lake)
  • 0.4kg Toffee Malt (Gladfield)
  • 0.35kg Midnight Wheat (Compared to 0.4kg Gladfield Eclipse Wheat)
  • About 150g of Rice hulls to improve the filter bed

Pushing the Grainfather to its limits - Malt pipe pretty full, but still a little more grain to add:

IMG_1941.JPG.9236d8d3fa2bd55eaf784341844f70d6.JPG

Thanks to a similar big brew on "The Home Brew Network", I reduced the flow using the recirculation tube tap so that the brew did not overly overflow.  I removed the top plate and stirred the grains once during the process.  Added the top plate after the first re-stir.  Maybe a few more times might have been better, but the brew seemed to recirculate okay.

IMG_1942.JPG.2dcf635f82c96e5a89360dd5353a445d.JPG

Aiming for 22L of a 8% ABV beer.  I did make some adjustments to reduce the ABV.  But otherwise, pretty authentic.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

image.png.4b4c5d9a5c53df78529d6f16959fb8f8.png

image.thumb.png.166315df6b52366ba0674bba1843df85.png

Love those grain buckets.

I have a mesh hop spider but it is rubbish. I used it once or twice. It clogs up with hop matter and you end up with 2l of hoppy liquid which won't strain out of the spider. I use hop bags instead. They keep the hop matter out of the wort, are easy to handle and can be reused a fair bit before they need replacing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

Thinking of putting down an Oatmeal Stout - Any thoughts on my recipe? Just winged it with quantities, am I in the ballpark? and are there any issues with using Oats? Should I be adding Rice hulls or with this quantity not worth it?

I think you could increase the Roasted Barley to 310g. 

I did a brew on the weekend with 400g of Flaked Barley and did not do anything special with them.  They were mixed in a bag with the other specialty grains.  I did add about 150g of rice hulls to the weekend's brew but it was a total of 7.85kg fermentables.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:16 PM, Woodsy1525230278 said:

I have, I am going to search out more raw variants, especially those with prominent floral characteristics, it goes so well with the new world hop varieties. 

Hey Woodsy,

Marri AKA redgum in SW WA is a cracker for that. Karri and acacia is also good if you can get it.

Southern Forests blend from Pemby area is really good for that too. It changes a bit too much for consistency though.

• Like 1