Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

I put down a recipe pack for a Nut Brown Ale from Hoppy Days today. Had a little mishap milling the grain but nothing some rice hulls couldn’t fix. The pre-boil SG and OG were spot on as per recipe. Should be good. 22l of goodness 👍

D4F2B912-8250-48F6-B6F5-320B421CBF26.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 6

Back in black - an Altbier of sorts... milled up some lovely fresh malted grain... threw in some Rye as well for a laugh... Joe White Pale Malt, Wheat,  some Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt, Carafa III, Chocolate Malt and that bit of Rye...  just finishing the mash"

image.thumb.png.2fcc9e582f0020a328be318ce2964c8a.png

• Like 6

Recipe: Flanders VI
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 30.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         1          47.3 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         2          47.3 %        1.63 L        
0.25 kg          Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC)     Grain         3          4.7 %         0.16 L        
0.03 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         4          0.6 %         0.02 L        
15.00 g          Zappa [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                   Hop           5          14.1 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        6          -             -             

Yeast : manky dregs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Bottle or keg and the new one goes in... straight away.

Oki doki.  Two years. 24 months. Six Brews.  Average 4 months.  FV is never cleaned (sounds good to me).  But what is the FV doing for that four months (on average) - just sitting around waiting to be bottled or kegged?  

e.g. there is a little time between September 2018 and January 2019 so what is the FV doing all that time - conditioning or maturing - or are you brewing in the keg that you then condition and drink out of?  

Trying to work out this efficient way of doing things... 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Trying to work out this efficient way of doing things... 

It's the sour way of doing things. 

THREAD HERE

The yeast is https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/belgian-lambic-blend

Profile: This blend contains yeast and bacteria cultures important to the production of spontaneously fermented beers of the Lambic region. Specific proportions of a Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture produce the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in Brussels. Propagation of this culture is not recommended and will result in a change of the proportions of the individual components. This blend will produce a very dry beer due to the super-attenuative nature of the mixed cultures.

BUT, everything I read said re pitches are better, and they are. Brett and lacto (and I assume pedio) are all really slow. The sacc goes fast and then the other stuff just does it's thing. I am not sure what is still alive but the beers are good, very very good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Better than being a Broncos supporter currently

Fortunately from my region/locale/country area I can default to the Rabbitohs and am a big supporter of Wayne Bennett so follow his teams wherever he goes ha ha... 

Was worried about last night that much I could not bear to watch it live... beer+getting pounded in the footy = bad night.... and am not a fan of the Chooks - and their grand signing of SBW the big legend..... ah the Chooks.... would even back the Sharkies against the Chooks ha ha ; )

But then I really enjoyed watching the extended highlights later in the evening 🤪

After being stitched up by the Dogglers last weekend - - well done WB and SS lads I say!!!

Edited by Bearded Burbler

52 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

MMMmmmmmm Manky gym socks...... so so good. If you like Manky gym socks. ha ha ha hope it tastes good for you

Hopefully it tastes better than that but if not then mark this batch up to recipe and ingredients and live and learn. Hahaha, manky gym socks! 

I was going to do a SMASH with this brew but decided to hedge my bets and mix up the hops and make the malt bill slightly more interesting than, well a SMASH. Maybe I can avoid the gym socks and get some dankness....hopefully.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Yeah I like Columbus a lot so hopefully Idaho 7 isn't too far off and taste alright. I like the citrusy dankness it brings.

Ha ha I hope it is good as I now am the proud owner of more than a kilo... another bag already in the freezer... ha ha!

image.thumb.png.267c394a9c6ac9bfc41270ebee3181ae.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha I hope it is good as I now am the proud owner of more than a kilo... another bag already in the freezer.

Yeah I like Columbus because of its versatility in my brewery, the pagola. I use it for bittering and aroma and with the huge % of mycerene(spelling) I like it. I expect to get some spicy, earthiness from it, some call it pine or dank and citrusy aromas. I try to uplift it with other hops, depending on the brew and what I am trying to get out of it. 

Trillium uses a ton of Columbus in their street ipas like Congress street and Comm street for example, with Columbus hotside and then citra or galaxy cold side with Columbus in a huge dry hops.They are considered one of USA's top 50 IPAs, so their is that also. The schedule is like 28g at 60 min Columbus. 60g of Columbus at flameout and then like 150g of galaxy and 75g of Columbus in a double dry hop, so split at 7%abc and 60ibus, for example. It brings the huge aroma from the galaxy but the dankness also from Columbus giving it a balance versus a fruit bomb neipa.

20200926_185823.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Umm, 60g in the boil for 2 minutes?

It is a work around for the software and my system.

I think that figure shows the bitterness level, for my system and tastes, but as I no chill it is a flameout addition for 30 minutes then drain into the cube on top of the flameout addition in the recipe, the azacca. It is generally a 5 Min addition that I show but they are all basically flameout despite what the recipe says. I should of noted that and I could probably show the additions better on my software and recipes.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1