Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Brew day today Victoria Secret Pacific Ale as below everything went fine other than the grain bag split not a big drama one less thing to clean and efficiency was down a little.  Smelt pretty nice 👍 

D4E9929B-6071-42AA-ACC2-371F98B5CB67.png

• Like 3

On 6/14/2020 at 10:22 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

thought I would also push a lager yeasts boundaries under pressure. 

But aren't you just simulating cold temps by fermenting under pressure... and getting W34/70 to do what it does well normally cool without having to worry so much about cold temperatures?

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But aren't you just simulating cold temps by fermenting under pressure... and getting W34/70 to do what it does well normally cool without having to worry so much about cold temperatures?

Yep that is correct. Apart from one aspect. The speed that it is doing it. This morning it is 2 points under the predicted FG which gives attenuation of 78%.  So in less than 72 hours it has gone from grain to FG.  The plan now is 2 days letting it clean up, 2 days cold crashing then into a keg.  So 7 days grain to keg is a great time saving. Being able to have the same turnaround times for both ales and lagers without a drop in the lager quality is a huge bonus.  The next test will be a to style Pilsner in a couple of months. This has been great learning experience.  I am really glad I took the step into pressure fermentation. 

57 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What sort of OGs are you starting with Marty?

This was 1046 so 4.7% which is a reduction of 0.5% on my recent brews ... Since introducing a mashout to my process and better temp control to the mash with an HLT and HERMES coil I have been having a few issues hitting my predicted OG. I have overshot them and only just getting a handle my new efficiency % so I can accurately use my software.  Most of my recent brews have been in the 1050 range because of this.  I still over shot on this but not as much as the previous 4 or 5 brews.  Funny thing is my attenuation has also increased so I have to modify both my mash efficiency and attenuation %.  So I was getting a double whammy which was really throwing out out my expected ABV%.   Think I have a handle on it now.   Sorry for the extra info but I thought it pertinent.   

• Thanks 1

New hop time

Recipe: Samba
Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 43.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU                 
2.00 kg          Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain         1          40.0 %              
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          40.0 %               
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          20.0 %               
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          9.9 IBUs                   
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5                                  
100.00 g         Samba [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           6          33.1 IBUs                 
100.00 g         Samba [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           7                        

KVEIK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 5

And another hop, almost out of grain too

Recipe: Zappa
Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 43 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU                
1.50 kg          Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain         1          37.5 %         
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          37.5 %                
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          25.0 %               
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          10.8 IBUs                 
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -                         
100.00 g         Zappa [9.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min       Hop           6          32.4 IBUs                 
100.00 g         Zappa [9.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min       Hop           7                     

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Have you used it before and what do you think of the results?

Love it, best thing for my brewing.
I ferment at ambient which is around 20° to 25° atm, but will pitch warm @ 35° with two brews on keeping each other warm and snug.

• Like 1

Got a Real ale on. Very simple KK. Real, Morgans caramalt (which is probably just amber) and 250g Golden syrup. Will DH with some Goldings.

I read a lot on the interwebs about CSR syrup adding flavour, whereas the Tate & Lyle doesn't, consensus was CSR was bad. I thought the point of adding GS was to get a little of that flavour in there? Done now anyway, so I'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

And another hop, almost out of grain too

Noticed you do not have a dry hop in either recipe with a huge flameout and a huge hopstand. That looks nice with the Kveik. Good looking recipes, I cannot wait to hear how they taste.

17 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

New hop time SAMBA...

A certain SA based brewing company will present a beer using this hop in conjunction with Ahtanum at the upcoming GABS festival. 😇

If you're heading along, definitely worth sampling I reckon. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

Got a Real ale on. Very simple KK. Real, Morgans caramalt (which is probably just amber) and 250g Golden syrup. Will DH with some Goldings.

I read a lot on the interwebs about CSR syrup adding flavour, whereas the Tate & Lyle doesn't, consensus was CSR was bad. I thought the point of adding GS was to get a little of that flavour in there? Done now anyway, so I'll see how it goes.

Real Ale always works well for me.

What are thoughts or ideas on this using the Coopers Lager tin i got with my fermenter in a partial mash.

1 can of Coopers Lager.

2 kg German Pilsner malt.

1/2 kg light dried malt.

Maybe some rolled oats??

Hallertau 25gms / Hersbrucker 25gms  10 minute boil.

Saflager S - 189 at around 12 - 14 degrees.

23 litres. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

What are thoughts or ideas on this using the Coopers Lager tin i got with my fermenter in a partial mash.

1 can of Coopers Lager.

2 kg German Pilsner malt.

1/2 kg light dried malt.

Maybe some rolled oats??

Hallertau 25gms / Hersbrucker 25gms  10 minute boil.

Saflager S - 189 at around 12 - 14 degrees.

23 litres. 

I don't know about the oats, what did you want from them? I toss them in hazy ales to get a silky feel to the body, they also contribute to haze due to their unfermentables and make up.

It looks like you are making a lager, did you want it clear? If not then go for it, but if you were expecting clarity, I would tread lightly.

But it depends on what you wanted. It won't ruin the brew, that is for sure and it will bring a different element to it. It isn't a bad idea, just different but that is why we brew! Do you.

Good brewing

Norris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I don't know about the oats, what did you want from them? I toss them in hazy ales to get a silky feel to the body, they also contribute to haze due to their unfermentables and make up.

It looks like you are making a lager, did you want it clear? If not then go for it, but if you were expecting clarity, I would tread lightly.

But it depends on what you wanted. It won't ruin the brew, that is for sure and it will bring a different element to it. It isn't a bad idea, just different but that is why we brew! Do you.

Good brewing

Norris

Cheers for the reply. Yeah i didn't give the haziness any thought, it was more so for good head retention and mouth feel. 

I guess if it's going to make it cloudy then it's off the menu. Definitely a clear lager i'm after, but not a light one if you know what i mean, something with oomph.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Cheers for the reply. Yeah i didn't give the haziness any thought, it was more so for good head retention and mouth feel. 

I guess if it's going to make it cloudy then it's off the menu. Definitely a clear lager i'm after, but not a light one if you know what i mean, something with oomph.   

Can you get some wheat dry malt extract or carapils? Both are supposed to help with body and head retention. Switching out the ldme for the wheat extract would help with what you want and not affect the clarity to much, if any.

Gelatin will fix most issues and so will a nice cold crash, for clarity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Can you get some wheat dry malt extract or carapils? Both are supposed to help with body and head retention. Switching out the ldme for the wheat extract would help with what you want and not affect the clarity to much, if any.

Gelatin will fix most issues and so will a nice cold crash, for clarity.

Cheers for that. A mate has also mentioned carapils. It's all coming together. Now for that inkbird that's in the post.

• Like 2

Brew day for me today. Expected OG was 1.049 but I hit closer to 1.056. I think it worked out to 

The Beersmith strike water calculation was so far under. Lucky I had the sparge water already heating, so I dumped another 5l in to, just so I could cover the grain.

Gave the new counterflow chiller it’s first run. Man that made chilling so much easier. Now sitting in the fermenting fridge, pitched at 19.5 and controller set to 18, which it got down to about 2 hours later.

Also had my first boil over, so clean up took a little longer.

But the beer smelt great going into the fermenter.

Can’t wait for this one to hit the taps.

31D4C60A-B686-43C6-8159-C302A6A4DE40.png

• Like 8