Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

The mighty MOUNTAIN BUSHKENNY is BACK!!!   At long last...  long story regards Gas Bottles and Regulators Covid Restrictions blah blah blah... finally.... aaah what a lovely drop!

A few weeks in the keg at 2 deg C has not harmed it 🤔

image.png.e8c49708b5b0c9aab775ad4572210501.png

• Like 11

Even if I must say this is a seriously good beer.  Complex malts balanced by just enough hop. The fruitiness of the Hallertau Blanc and Simcoe complementing each other brilliantly.  Grain bill was Vienna 31.5%, Maris Otter 16.02%, Raw Sugar 13.35%, Munich 13.03% ,  Carapils 8.01%, Melanoidin 6.67%, Wheat malt 6.09% and 2.97% each of Carafar Special T and Caraaroma.  Bittered with 15g of Simcoe at 60min and flavoured with 15g of Hallertau Blanc at 15min.  31IBU 31EBC and BU:GU 0.81.   Very proud of this one.  

20200516_155242.jpg

20200516_155255.jpg

• Like 10

Eisbock, i couldnt wait. My main concern was during the freezing the yeast would be frozen out with the water. This beer was all bottle for a club case swap. At bottling i added 2 carb drops and an injection of s23 saved from my starter.. 1 week bottled, 10.5% and i think i nailed the style. High alcohol with smooth malty, sweet goodness. Clarity? None better.

20200516_200325.jpg

• Like 7

Promising Ale

This was one of the bottles of this brew.  Most went into a keg that is still not connected up due to no empty spots.

Clarity in my brews these days is outstanding thanks to fish guts and ground up polytube.

Aroma is subtle but fruity.  Then I get a sharp citrus zing, as if it was lurking beneath.

Taste is really good.  Bitterness reminds me of Fruit of the Woods.

I cannot wait to get this beer into the kegerator.

IMG_1802.JPG.bc322c501da95b9809727a9f2c0f4dc3.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Titan said:

Eisbock, i couldnt wait. My main concern was during the freezing the yeast would be frozen out with the water. This beer was all bottle for a club case swap. At bottling i added 2 carb drops and an injection of s23 saved from my starter.. 1 week bottled, 10.5% and i think i nailed the style. High alcohol with smooth malty, sweet goodness. Clarity? None better.

20200516_200325.jpg

Nice work looks awesome 👏 how did the 10.5% go?

Edited by RDT2

I was putting some bottles in the fridge just in case the keg isn't carbed enough and one (an APA) decided, when I was literally 2 steps from the cupboard, to fall over. Bitch HISSED at me so it went in the freezer - after I rammed it's crown down again in the capper - and it's a lovely drop. (see what I did there? 😄 )

image.thumb.png.a544c632d103a9f9e9022cef47e03cb1.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

You put meringue on top of that or what? 😄

Ha ha - I actually did a so called "Guinness" pour on it.... poured half - waited for a bit - then topped it up....  guess that's how you end up with a Pav ha ha ?!

image.thumb.png.79e5836c2072684c236ed9436a4610b1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

You have a nitro tap?

The Tap is a "Stout Tap" yes... different to normal laminar flow taps...

And then the gas is Nitro-CO2 mix... sometime known as Beergas...  it is a pain in the @##$%&% to get hold of vs plain old carbon dioxide...

But the resultant pour is as good as you get in any half decent Irish Pub/Club that sells Guinness Beamish Kilkenny or a place that might do Boddy's Bitter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

The Tap is a "Stout Tap" yes... different to normal laminar flow taps...

And then the gas is Nitro-CO2 mix... sometime known as Beergas...  it is a pain in the @##$%&% to get hold of vs plain old carbon dioxide...

But the resultant pour is as good as you get in any half decent Irish Pub/Club that sells Guinness Beamish Kilkenny or a place that might do Boddy's Bitter.

My goto in Irish pubs back in the day was Caffreys - smooth as, poured like a Guinness but tasted like a very nice 'normal' beer. (as in nothing like Carlton Draught. I had Caffreys merchandise for years because the rep reckoned I was selling it better than he could - people would come in and ask what was on tap and I'd point them at the Caffreys. Very few did NOT carry on drinking it after the first one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Caffreys

Aaaah there you go - yep - that's the world in which this festive brew lives...  and if you don't do a Guinness Pause... you end up with as what me expert on those matters @PaddyBrew2 Paddy advises is a 'Bishop's Collar' ha ha...

Think my lack of patience here has ended up with a 'Cardinal's Collar' ha ha:

image.png.b03549abc036c8f7544178eafe5c8a9b.png

• Haha 4