Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

My goto in Irish pubs back in the day was Caffreys - smooth as, poured like a Guinness but tasted like a very nice 'normal' beer. (as in nothing like Carlton Draught. I had Caffreys merchandise for years because the rep reckoned I was selling it better than he could - people would come in and ask what was on tap and I'd point them at the Caffreys. Very few did NOT carry on drinking it after the first one.

I loved Caffreys then it vanished in Perth, that’s one of my dreams to clone that and have a nitro tap. Tried a Kilkenny at the pub before Covid it was horrible probably old with all the craft beers being the preferred now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

US05 is the magnum of yeasts. Brings NOTHING to the table but bland fermentation.

That saying Benny and @Greeny1525229549 Greeny it seems to me that for me US05 performs pretty nicely for a good clean ferment and then flocc out if that  = Bland Fermentation - Can't argue against that.

When it comes to getting the job done - I love it.  And I guess one day I might graduate to the more festive Yeast nuanced flavours.

So far I guess as a Spring Chicken AG Brewer... I love US05.... and with a focus on Malts and Hops... I have got one constant... US05 that delivers time after time.

Between US05 and W34/70 I reckon I am in good territory.  But for you advanced Brewers.... I can see... that may be that I am constraining my brewing development.

When I get to your Levels of Excellence maybe I will need to go looking for something more festive.... and I guess that is the beauty of being in this Community as you Brewers keep challenging us to to the next step further : )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Trying out another bottle out of a couple partial mash batches I made for my brother. This one is the CCA yeast. Last night i tried the one fermented with US05. Got to say the CCA shits all over the US05. Same recipe and dry hop but the CCA has more pronounced hop flavour. No idea why

15896990136961274731477.jpg

I have been happy with US05 and wasn’t going to bother with CCA but now you have given me something to think about🤔 nice beer👍

Edited by RDT2

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

That saying Benny and @Greeny1525229549 Greeny it seems to me that for me US05 performs pretty nicely for a good clean ferment and then flocc out if that  = Bland Fermentation - Can't argue against that.

When it comes to getting the job done - I love it.  And I guess one day I might graduate to the more festive Yeast nuanced flavours.

So far I guess as a Spring Chicken AG Brewer... I love US05.... and with a focus on Malts and Hops... I have got one constant... US05 that delivers time after time.

Between US05 and W34/70 I reckon I am in good territory.  But for you advanced Brewers.... I can see... that may be that I am constraining my brewing development.

When I get to your Levels of Excellence maybe I will need to go looking for something more festive.... and I guess that is the beauty of being in this Community as you Brewers keep challenging us to to the next step further : )

Always pays to try shit mate. These were dry hopped with centennial. Its not usually a hop i use in a pale ale as i prefer it in a higher bittered IPA but it seems to work with the CCA yeast. Im thinking an IPA with CCA now. I can only be wrong i guess 😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Always pays to try shit mate. These were dry hopped with centennial. Its not usually a hop i use in a pale ale as i prefer it in a higher bittered IPA but it seems to work with the CCA yeast. Im thinking an IPA with CCA now. I can only be wrong i guess 😆

Mate you are the Yeast King @Greeny1525229549 Greeny.... am looking forward to what you find out.  I guess in the meantime I am pretty happy with US05 and W34/70 as they behave pretty well for ale/pils and W3068 for Weizen....  they probably are not as adventurous as Benny  @Ben 10 and you doing Brett-Saison-Kveik.... but I guess for me one step at a time....

11 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Level up

Ha ha Benny - I do have some Saison Yeast in the Fridgie-didge... ha ha so will have to give that a crank at some stage.  Am thinking though I will wait till Spring when things warm up ; )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha Benny - I do have some Saison Yeast in the Fridgie-didge... ha ha so will have to give that a crank at some stage.  Am thinking though I will wait till Spring when things warm up ; )

Winter refresher of saison is tremendous 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Winter refresher of saison is tremendous  

Ha ha thanks Kapitan!!

Was thinking less of the drinking and more of the brewing....  that the Saison Yeast might like warmer temps for the Ferment?

Any suggestions for Malt Bill and Hop Combo?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

The most boring beer in the world brought to you by Magnum and US05.😁

After that episode we have another level of the homebrew rabbit hole to investigate, "Yeasts who what and why" brought to you by the one guy who always thinks the hop featured in hop chronicles, on brulosophy, would work well in a saison.

Screenshot_20200518-191802_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200518-191946_Firefox.jpg

• Haha 1

The NEIPA that I nearly tipped out! Had about 10 bottles left, been sitting there for a couple of months, so thought I would taste a few and bugger me it's fine, damn good in fact! My faith is restored. The 5lt batch I made out of leftovers is also very nice, will post a pic when I crack one!

_DSF1041.thumb.jpg.03b1126f5ae1960cbd50b6f94f8f3c41.jpg

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha thanks Kapitan!!

Was thinking less of the drinking and more of the brewing....  that the Saison Yeast might like warmer temps for the Ferment?

Any suggestions for Malt Bill and Hop Combo?

Yeah they do like it hot. But you know, temp controlled fridges. 
pilsner, aromatic and a touch of dem sugar. 
anything noble or hop it up with some Amarillo. 
I do enjoy a Amarillo hopped saison.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 4:40 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Lovely cool crisp Autumn evening out in the paddock... just the right time for a bit more Bushkenny:

image.thumb.png.57dfc3df235fe9d5146835f3fcbf0488.png`

Now that is the type of beer I want to produce, look at that beautiful creamy head.... very tightly packed bubble, I want it I want it😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah they do like it hot. But you know, temp controlled fridges. 

Thanks for that mate.  I think maybe that I might be happy fermenting cooler-ish anyway... I found a Saison thread where you note about going higher than 19 can be a bit more funky....

So am thinking maybe a winter ferment at cooler temp might be just fine.

I realise a few other Brewers were happy to have it go warmer... think for my first foray I reckon I might stay on the cooler side... and go from there.

And I noticed there too that @Ben 10 Benny was using Citra in one of his... so maybe that might fit in too.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, The Captain!! said:

But definitely don’t let belle free rise if you don’t want funk. 
I think belle is a great yeast but find it produces some unwanted characters when let above say 19. And by unwanted, I mean funk but ugly funk, there are many more types of saison yeasts out there that provide  the desired funkiness. 

10 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Now that is the type of beer I want to produce, look at that beautiful creamy head.... very tightly packed bubble, I want it I want it😂

You'll get there GCC.  Just stick to your game plan right now - do the Kit-n-Kilo adding in Liquid Malt and some BE to start with... get the hang of it.

Then start doing some Adjuncts... use the Coops kits and Coops liquid malt but just add in some grains.... get a brew bag with cracked malts from the brew store.... stew at 67 deg C for an hour... then boil with some hops in a 'hop sock'... Add that to your brew... get the feel for it.

Then maybe move to kegging - @Red devil 44 Red does some great beers with Liquid Malts and Coopers Kits... gassed up in the Keg.   And then you could try the FWKs too - Fresh Wort Kits... not super cheap - but someone else has done the "All Grain" work for you.

And then maybe after that move to All Grain and you will have to 'go the extra mile' and get some Nitro-Beermix gas (mixture of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide), and a Stout Tap (specifically for Stout/Creamy Beers-has a perforated plate within that helps produce the creamy head) and brew a heavy full bodied beer and gas that beer up with Nitro Mix.

And then pour with Nitro Mix.   And Bob's yer Uncle. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

You'll get there GCC.  Just stick to your game plan right now - do the Kit-n-Kilo adding in Liquid Malt and some BE to start with... get the hang of it.

Then start doing some Adjuncts... use the Coops kits and Coops liquid malt but just add in some grains.... get a brew bag with cracked malts from the brew store.... stew at 67 deg C for an hour... then boil with some hops in a 'hop sock'... Add that to your brew... get the feel for it.

Then maybe move to kegging - @Red devil 44 Red does some great beers with Liquid Malts and Coopers Kits... gassed up in the Keg.   And then you could try the FWKs too - Fresh Wort Kits... not super cheap - but someone else has done the "All Grain" work for you.

And then maybe after that move to All Grain and you will have to 'go the extra mile' and get some Nitro-Beermix gas (mixture of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide), and a Stout Tap (specifically for Stout/Creamy Beers-has a perforated plate within that helps produce the creamy head) and brew a heavy full bodied beer and gas that beer up with Nitro Mix.

And then pour with Nitro Mix.   And Bob's yer Uncle. 

Hahahaha, I think you just mapped out my next 5yrs👍👍👍

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Hahahaha, I think you just mapped out my next 5yrs👍👍👍

It is a journey mate... took me years to get here no doubt about that.... and really have not yet sorted all me kegging and gas issues out... think I can do some AG Beer ok... but still battling a bit with getting all the gas n kegs to behave themselves ha ha.  And there are always things to be improved on.  Might be a bit of a PITA but keep records of what you have done with your brews.

39 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks for that mate.  I think maybe that I might be happy fermenting cooler-ish anyway... I found a Saison thread where you note about going higher than 19 can be a bit more funky....

So am thinking maybe a winter ferment at cooler temp might be just fine.

I realise a few other Brewers were happy to have it go warmer... think for my first foray I reckon I might stay on the cooler side... and go from there.

And I noticed there too that @Ben 10 Benny was using Citra in one of his... so maybe that might fit in too.

Yeah mate for sure. All depends on the strain you choose though. 
Belle IS funky in the higher temps. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah mate for sure. All depends on the strain you choose though. 
Belle IS funky in the higher temps. 

Thanks mate.  Yes it is this fella - so I might brew a little on the cooler side for the first time...

image.png.8fa2ddf5ecef95e88796bf2bd87e4427.png

48 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

It is a journey mate... took me years to get here no doubt about that.... and really have not yet sorted all me kegging and gas issues out... think I can do some AG Beer ok... but still battling a bit with getting all the gas n kegs to behave themselves ha ha.  And there are always things to be improved on.  Might be a bit of a PITA but keep records of what you have done with your brews.

Yeah that's one thing I have done, probably very basic at the mo on the brew app I have, as I have only been doing straight toucans with no added extras, but as I add some more junk into the mix it will be good to document it as took copy the good ones down the track....I'm definitely on the slow and steady path as to not push the envelope with the boss too much, but it will be nice to have a bit of a stockpile so I can forget they are bottled and give them a really good stretch in the 2nd ferment.

currently got about 25 stubbies of apa and cerveza that have been in bottle for 9days, and I have a few pets still going so I shouldn't get sidetracked to test these early😂😂and actually sg'd my 4 day real ale toucan today, down to 1.022 from an og of about 1.055... tastes really nice, thinking it may be a really nice drop, glad to have the delivery of glass bottles just in time😜

Edited by Goldcoast Crow

13 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Yeah that's one thing I have done, probably very basic at the mo on the brew app I have, as I have only been doing straight toucans with no added extras, but as I add some more junk into the mix it will be good to document it as took copy the good ones down the track....I'm definitely on the slow and steady path as to not push the envelope with the boss too much, but it will be nice to have a bit of a stockpile so I can forget they are bottled and give them a really good stretch in the 2nd ferment.

currently got about 25 stubbies of apa and cerveza that have been in bottle for 9days, and I have a few pets still going so I shouldn't get sidetracked to test these early😂😂and actually sg'd my 4 day real ale toucan today, down to 1.022 from an og of about 1.055... tastes really nice, thinking it may be a really nice drop, glad to have the delivery of glass bottles just in time😜

Toucans can be quite bitter so it's a good way to learn the hops side of things so you can balance them. My 2nd brew was a toucan of out-of-date Coopers Draught - at 1 week bottled it was tasty paint stripper - at >4 weeks it was smooth as and only the buzz told me I was drinking 8.2% beer. 😄

I admire your patience in filling stubbies - I was champing at the bit to get into kegging when covid gave me a nice little boost and, OMG! the ease of kegging! 😄

I always take an early taster - taste the samples then taste a bottle at 1 week - how else can you learn what happens to a beer as it matures. On occasion, leaving the OTHERS alone for another couple of weeks has been hard. I've had a couple of brews that were very good at the 1 week point and they matured into a beer I would be happy to pay premium for in a pub.

But it IS a journey... I mostly do kit  & partials now and play with the adjuncts and hops, learning what makes what I like - I reckon that will probably do me for the net year or so. I foresee making 2 brews at a time, 1 of my staple brew and 1 where I experiment with various factors. I do plan on making some 'larger' beers and bottling at least some of the brew to let it age naturally so I'm keeping my glass bottles.