Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

more the reason for it than it being AG

I don't think I ever achieved this style of small bubble head with K_n_dry_K though it still being good beer and miles better than megaswill.

And maybe I am completely wrong but I do believe that the head texture and mouthfeel has a lot to do with it being All Grain.... and you can get closer to that with liquid malts in cans doing KnK.

And possibly what is helpful is some malted wheat in there as well.   But the nitro is another step in the journey as well as you note Kelsey.

Altbier

image.thumb.png.fc6cc694c28b885386b0221cf41e8daf.png

Apologies Altbier experts - don't have an appropriate Altbier glass... after brewing this my first AG Altbier - think I will do this again - so might try find some Altbier Glaeser ; )

My memory is that it should be more like this - tall thin cylinder... ?

image.png.331bb2fe164e74042a6b7b6e7cd01f91.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I don't think I ever achieved this style of small bubble head with K_n_dry_K though it still being good beer and miles better than megaswill.

And maybe I am completely wrong but I do believe that the head texture and mouthfeel has a lot to do with it being All Grain.... and you can get closer to that with liquid malts in cans doing KnK.

And possibly what is helpful is some malted wheat in there as well.   But the nitro is another step in the journey as well as you note Kelsey.

If it's nitro poured then that's the biggest reason for the small bubbles and creamy head. 

Yeah don't agree Kelsey.  Because good AG full bodied brew can deliver that same mouthfeel - head - head retention... without  Nitro with AG full bodied-real-beer....

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

get this sort of thing with heavily late and dry hopped beers. Being a nitro pour would help too. I reckon those two things are probably more the reason for it than it being AG, however it also contributes especially if you do a mash rest at 72 degrees. 

image.png.b3a4808c3301a3b5e07915e81e72b158.png

30 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It can, but it can't produce the same head properties as nitro does. You can't get those ridiculous small bubbles with just CO2. It doesn't matter if it's AG. The closest thing would be a lower carbonated beer. 

I agree with Otto on this one and you keep making me think of Caffreys darn it when you talk nitro. 😋 Although I reckon AG gives the best head retention but not as creamy as nitro.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It can, but it can't produce the same head properties as nitro does. You can't get those ridiculous small bubbles with just CO2. It doesn't matter if it's AG. The closest thing would be a lower carbonated beer. 

Don't agree. 

Because if you produce full bodied AG Brew... with good full bodied beer - whether you pour w Nitro or not -

you will if good body in your beer - produce great mouthfeel-head retention...

image.png.bcbebb8962c96bb6b78cefe7921c98dc.png

Of course you'll get good body, mouthfeel and head retention if the beer is brewed to produce those things, but the bubbles in the head will never be as tiny with straight CO2 as they are with nitro and the mouthfeel is not the same. That's the whole reason nitro is used at all. You can tell those beers aren't poured with nitro. While the head is impressive, the line at the bottom of it is slightly "blurry" due to the bigger bubbles, with nitro it's sharp like the edge of a piece of paper. 

GuinnessNitroIPA.jpg.aab2d1330b31529a1736000aeaee9f86.jpg

• Like 2

Enjoying a sneaky AG Stout on a Monday night... it is a 'school night' but seemed like a night for Stout as the drizzle kicked in and there is "Snow possible above 800 metres" ha ha.

This one is on CO2 (long story) and is very tasty even without "guinness gas and stout tap"...

image.png.fd105704c5d75466b61d75f4c5ea2b51.png

• Like 3

Nothing but once I clean the two empty kegs I'll be putting the porter in the back position and most likely just carbonate it on serving pressure. Wednesday or Thursday I'm planning to keg the pale ale. Preferably Thursday but depends how long my breaks are. I want it ready for Friday night. 

The two fermenters have worked well, only buying one carton before having my own beer back on tap again this cycle. 

• Like 1

This is a hazy pale I call Fiddler's Green v1.2. It isn't better than its predecessor, but a good beer none the less. I used lemondrop, amarillo and citra in the boil and a dry hop with some Vic secret and the top three, but in a 2:2:1:1 ratio.

Very citrusy but lacking the oomph, I was looking for, but it has just carbed up after 18hr at 50psi, so still very early and I have noticed that these hit there mark in week 2 to 4.  Kveik yeast, Voss strain slurry. Very clean and crisp character with nice esters that are a little tart.

The body hasn't molded all the way yet but very unobtrusive. I hope this lasts until week 3. I won't rate it for another week or two but a very nice beer.

20200601_191353.jpg

• Like 5

Coopers DIY recipe: Island Toasted Coconut Porter (approx. 20 months aged)

CoopersDIYCoconutPorter24mths-1.jpg

same glass a short while later...

CoopersDIYCoconutPorter24mths-2.jpg

Absolutely delicious with a pillow head that licks your nose right to the bottom of the glass. Well done @Coopers DIY Beer Team👍

I remember a number of brewers that brewed this recipe & drank it early on after the recipe was first released commenting that the coconut flavour was a little too forward for their liking. I can tell you firsthand that after a decent period of ageing this aspect becomes more of a rounding background flavour & far less forward. The chocolate, roasty characters have held on very well & make for a very delicious beer to drink once aged properly, that's why although being predominantly a pure kegger of beer these days, I still batch bottle my darker beers to allow them to age.

With beer producing, instant gratification is great,... but aged gratification (of certain styles) is at a level even better again (IMHO). 🤤

I have one 640ml bottle of this left & it won't see out the week...maybe not even the night. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Coopers DIY recipe: Island Toasted Coconut Porter (approx. 20 months aged)

CoopersDIYCoconutPorter24mths-1.jpg

same glass a short while later...

CoopersDIYCoconutPorter24mths-2.jpg

Absolutely delicious with a pillow head that licks your nose right to the bottom of the glass. Well done @Coopers DIY Beer Team👍

I remember a number of brewers that brewed this recipe & drank it early on after the recipe was first released commenting that the coconut flavour was a little too forward for their liking. I can tell you firsthand that after a decent period of ageing this aspect becomes more of a rounding background flavour & far less forward. The chocolate, roasty characters have held on very well & make for a very delicious beer to drink once aged properly, that's why although being predominantly a pure kegger of beer these days, I still batch bottle my darker beers to allow them to age.

With beer producing, instant gratification is great,... but aged gratification (of certain styles) is at a level even better again (IMHO). 🤤

I have one 640ml bottle of this left & it won't see out the week...maybe not even the night. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Were those photos showing how you felt before and after🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Were those photos showing how you felt before and after🤪

Haha I thought the same thing after posting. 🙃

In my case, just shite camera work on the last photo & couldn't be bothered "flashing" it up. Too busy enjoying the beer.😉

Lusty.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Absolutely delicious with a pillow head that licks your nose right to the bottom of the glass.

I just decided what I will do with the 6 longnecks of this that I bottled (the rest went in a keg).  However, your description makes it real hard to resist.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Couldn't even be bothered getting the glass in focus by the looks of i

Thought it was more to make sure that the Port Power cap was out of focus...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1