Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

43 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Just sensational, we are most pleased

Well Unc you really have picked the ball up and run with it...Well done! Kegs and AG will be next. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Just sensational, we are most pleased

Well done Unc.  Good stuff!!!

Could maybe consider using some Light Liquid Malt instead of the dry in future maybe... and add a bit of dry malt as well...  this mock-up below suggests

a) Kit 1.7kg

b) Light Liquid Malt 1.5kg

c) LDME kilo - or some other BE kilo thing... 1kg

you'll be at 5.9% in the bottle...

Worth considering.  But understand if you like what you have already too...  just a possibility...

image.thumb.png.44b2bb9aa5aeccf80a8763ba469f8c55.png

8 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Toucans can be quite bitter so it's a good way to learn the hops side of things so you can balance them. My 2nd brew was a toucan of out-of-date Coopers Draught - at 1 week bottled it was tasty paint stripper - at >4 weeks it was smooth as and only the buzz told me I was drinking 8.2% beer. 😄

I admire your patience in filling stubbies - I was champing at the bit to get into kegging when covid gave me a nice little boost and, OMG! the ease of kegging! 😄

I always take an early taster - taste the samples then taste a bottle at 1 week - how else can you learn what happens to a beer as it matures. On occasion, leaving the OTHERS alone for another couple of weeks has been hard. I've had a couple of brews that were very good at the 1 week point and they matured into a beer I would be happy to pay premium for in a pub.

But it IS a journey... I mostly do kit  & partials now and play with the adjuncts and hops, learning what makes what I like - I reckon that will probably do me for the net year or so. I foresee making 2 brews at a time, 1 of my staple brew and 1 where I experiment with various factors. I do plan on making some 'larger' beers and bottling at least some of the brew to let it age naturally so I'm keeping my glass bottles.

I actually enjoy a bitter beer. So long as it's cold as tho.... I am really liking the idea of lotsa 330ml bottles over 750ml pets, apart from the glass factor.... my big issue is I try one, I like one, I drink 3🤣🤣🤣, but I seem to be getting better at leaving the, longer.... I am keen to try some mixers tho, whether it's malt syrup, or be1 2 3, even dry hopping the ferment at day 3 or 4..... it's all part of the journey(pardon the pun)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Got 4kg of light dry malt and not afraid to use it

Perfect.  I bought 20kg of it when I came back to brewing ha ha!?!  And am still using it now for my yeast starters for me AG stuff ; )

If you use your Coopers Brew Kit of choice..... add 1.5kg of Liquid... plus 1kg of Light Dry Malt in your next brew.... you will be amazed!

47 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes, goes very well 

Bizarre tho it may sound... was thinking Rye and fresh Rosemary for something different?  (will have base malt-noble hops-W34/70 as the usual)

Flat Curve Bitter.  Coopers EB, Amber malt, 250g Demerara sugar. Some Styrian and EKGs in a short boil.

Should have done an EKG dry hop too , but managed to forget, it fermented so quick... 

Still a bit shy of 2 weeks, but good flavour and enough bitterness. EKGs would have been extra good.

20200521_171441_resized.thumb.jpg.56553d5cd8a74f1369d23df9ad3bc7ff.jpg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Lab Cat said:

Flat Curve Bitter.  Coopers EB, Amber malt, 250g Demerara sugar. Some Styrian and EKGs in a short boil.

Should have done an EKG dry hop too , but managed to forget, it fermented so quick... 

Still a bit shy of 2 weeks, but good flavour and enough bitterness. EKGs would have been extra good.

20200521_171441_resized.thumb.jpg.56553d5cd8a74f1369d23df9ad3bc7ff.jpg

Nice carb/head for not quite 2weeks👌🏿