Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

38 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Blooooody beautiful Kelsey!

Now not to cause a controversy.... but isn't that a Weissbier glass?

WGAF the sun's out and it is a beautiful glass and a beautiful beer....... but just interested all the same.

Dunno, my best mate gave me a dozen of them a few years ago. I don't use them often but the other glasses are all awaiting their dishwasher cycle tomorrow morning 🤣

• Haha 1

Harvest Amber Ale. 

For this one I used Wyeast 1007 German ale so its a kind of a hybrid Altbier/Amber ale.

Bravo for bittering with wet Victoria flowers for flavour/aroma. Pretty tasty brew.

Going to brew a version using 1272 American ale yeast and dried victoria flowers with same grain bill.

AA010520.thumb.jpg.1d2f49f269e45bb8dc358f881c16291e.jpg

• Like 11

My German Pilsner has cleared up nicely. The so called “astringent” issue I had experienced early on, which I was blaming on biofine, is actually what I think to be more of a flavour issue associated with gladfield German Pilsner malt.  Spoke to a few other brewers who seem to get the same thing when using majority gladly Pilsner malt in the bill. A Grainy chew. Anyway, whatever. Cheers 

99D697ED-FA8C-4E7D-931A-9BFFA58F8624.jpeg

• Like 10

On 5/1/2020 at 9:27 AM, Journeyman said:

It sounds great except for the temp range. We don't even keep the living area at 25° so seems to me it would need constant heat input to get it brewed. Wouldn't mind trying it next summer - warm enough here my little bulb in the fridge might keep the temps up there. 😄

At those temps you would not have to worry about moisture getting into your electricals. 😄

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, Maurice79 said:

Harvest Amber Ale. 

For this one I used Wyeast 1007 German ale so its a kind of a hybrid Altbier/Amber ale.

Bravo for bittering with wet Victoria flowers for flavour/aroma. Pretty tasty brew.

Going to brew a version using 1272 American ale yeast and dried victoria flowers with same grain bill.

AA010520.thumb.jpg.1d2f49f269e45bb8dc358f881c16291e.jpg

That’s great but I think you have forgotten to throw something by the look on someone’s face??? Stick/ball maybe???

• Haha 1

This is the house XPA v1.3. It is a great beer with centennial, Amarillo and citra in a 3:2:1 ratio. Nice floral aromas that greet you at the glass that part ways for some pungent orange flavours and aromas. Bitterness is right about 30ish IBUs. Crisp and clean flavour profile with some softness from the wheat but really good head retention and body. Good beer.

20200504_162402.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

some softness from the wheat but really good head retention and body

Nice stuff Norris.  Am a big believer in the Wheat... softness.. body... and head retention.... I think @Beerlust Lusty suggests wheat is no use if not reasonable body to start with... but if reasonable body then the head retention is improved by the wheat.... anyway.... am a believer in the wheat and use it regularly... only downside is that it is as hard as when going through the mill... one day I might have to brew a Gluten Free beer so will have to give the wheat up for that ha ha  ; )

Did you dry hop?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice stuff Norris.  Am a big believer in the Wheat... softness.. body... and head retention.... I think @Beerlust Lusty suggests wheat is no use if not reasonable body to start with... but if reasonable body then the head retention is improved by the wheat.... anyway.... am a believer in the wheat and use it regularly... only downside is that it is as hard as when going through the mill... one day I might have to brew a Gluten Free beer so will have to give the wheat up for that ha ha  ; )

Did you dry hop?

I did dry hop. It was 75g centennial, 50g Amarillo and 25g citra.

Yeah, I actually have to try to not include wheat in my recipes. Love what it brings to the table.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Malted or unmalted?

I am unsure. I think it is malted, weyermanns wheat malt is the type I use. It says it provides some caramel flavours, so I am guessing malted but I could be wrong. I have only used unmalted wheat once, Joe white, that I am aware of. I did not note anything about the wheat in my notes.

Do you have a preference?

If it's called wheat malt then I'd say it is malted. 

Had a couple of glasses of my pale ale over the weekend, still tastes a bit yeasty but not too bad. A mate popped over after golf on Sunday and had one too and he liked it. He's been keen to try some for a while and the course was only ten minutes from mine so a good opportunity, especially since the clubhouses are shut at the moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Do you have a preference?

Horses for courses. They do different things. 

I like pale malted in pacific ales and the like but I use unmalted bird feed in my pales/ipas for mouthfeel without sweetness. 

• Like 1

Just having a few of my Citra Galadorado IPA.

I know I think this every time, but this could be my best yet!

Forgot how assertive the Galaxy is!

Very punchy passion fruit with the usual tropical gear from the Citra and getting a nice bit of pineapple from the Eldorado as well.

Bloody delish!!

Only 3 days in the keg as well, yum!

Cheers

James

70821AD0-22B6-450B-A8D2-471740662F34.jpeg

• Like 7