Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

2 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

best yeast for a NEIPA? 

The best ones Ive tasted have been Wyeast 1318(?) London ale 3,

Gigayeast Vermont. 

And for dry yeast the Lallemand New England 

I haven’t really gone out of my way to learn a hell of a lot about the style but definitely double dry hop at least, use Cryo when possible in the second dry hop but not more than 50% of the dry hop weight as Cryo needs T90 to work better. This reduces the vegetal flavours and smells. 

I style is moving a lot, some you’ll find have hop bite, some that are juicy and soft. I think it might take some time but I think you’ll find the hazy ipa and the NEIPA style drift apart over the next few years. One with bite, one without. Time will tell 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, Ben 10 said:

Recipe?

Missed this one Benny. 
I remember now that I ended up with about ten g of hops left in the bottom of one of the SS cups I use for my hop additions. It must have been the bittering addition. Spewing it ruined a really good tasting beer. I’ll brew again to be sure. 

BB0BC415-0B5B-45D9-8D19-9FCA45B50BCB.png

37605D41-874E-4241-BABB-A167D648F8A5.png

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, Worthog said:

Great to see you back @Titan. Nice Porter.

Cheer

Thanks mate. Been trying to catch up on all threads but away so long its almost impossible. Never stopped brewing, however output has gone down as working in Sydney and only home every 2 weeks. Luckily i have wifi inkbird so can manipulate temps from afar. Never stray much from my standard brews of EB and darker beer.

• Like 4

On 2/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, Beer Baron said:

Rice lager with Sorachi Ace hops. My list of beer ingredients never to use again starts now. I hate you Sorachi Ace hops. It’s JUST drinkable............JUST!!

DFCA4C63-C0E1-4684-B0EE-FADFD45D611E.jpeg

What don’t you like about sorachi? I used it recently and wasn’t happy. Will give it one more go and be lighter with it I rekon

My second run of what you might classify as an “XPA” 

mitch bastards seXPA

3.85kg pale malt

1kg munich

.25kg wheat

.5kg oats 

US05

warrior doing the bittering

mosaic and vic secret late and also dry. 

I like it.... I feel like this version lacks a bit of mouthfeel though. Only thing I did different was upping the oats by an additional .25kg

maybe it needs to carb up a bit further??

D5656D36-DD6F-4637-87B8-72DFEF676C25.jpeg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

The hop flavour and aroma. It’s so different from other hops

True. It’s said to be used in Sapporo and what ever other Asian beer yet I taste nothing of what I’ve produced in Any commercial version of an asian lager.  I did some late additions so maybe I’ll ditch those next time and just use them early....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

My second run of what you might classify as an “XPA” 

mitch bastards seXPA

3.85kg pale malt

1kg munich

.25kg wheat

.5kg oats 

US05

warrior doing the bittering

mosaic and vic secret late and also dry. 

I like it.... I feel like this version lacks a bit of mouthfeel though. Only thing I did different was upping the oats by an additional .25kg

maybe it needs to carb up a bit further??

D5656D36-DD6F-4637-87B8-72DFEF676C25.jpeg

What oats do you use Mitch?

One annoyance when photographing a nicely chilled beer is dealing with the inevitable condensation that forms on on the glass!   A soon as I've wiped it all down by the time I get to the camera's shutter button it's all fogged up again!    Anyway, I'm just getting stuck into my latest version of my Redback Pale Ale -  Redback being the main specialty malt from Gladfield used in this particular brew.  I'm liking this one....  Wakatu and Taiheke hops on fine display here... 

😋

RedbackPA_Feb2020-1.jpg

• Like 9

I kegged & fast carbed up the MJ's Simcoe single hop IPA yesterday. It's obviously still very green, but first impressions are that it's come out a little underwhelming.  It has a good bitterness, nice malt character, very good head development & retention, but lacks some real hop punch. Even for my part, the dry hop level is noticeable, but not heightened enough.

It drinks well & will improve with ageing, but just lacks some bells & whistles.

I'll be mindful of better levels with my next planned brew this Sunday. A Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA variant.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 5

I don't know the right taste-words to use but last night I tried the 1st bottle of my Exbeeriment beer. I bottled it on 20th and this recipe is a keeper!

It already has good head and retention - not fantastic but better than any of my other beers at less than 2 weeks - maybe the oats? The colour is rich brown, head colour slightly off-white to match. (I'll get a pic of the next one. 😄 ) Tastes are complex, definite caramel/toffee hints, very nice hops flavour, aroma lacking a little to what I thought I might get from citra, but there at least. Bitterness there but almost unoticeable - sweet is the first impression before back-of-mouth gives a heads-up.

image.png.164e7bbc29edab95e8035e8387325239.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 3

I'm drinking my leftovers lager which came in at about 6.3% ABV due to overshooting the OG for some weird reason. That grain bill usually gets me to about 1.049-50 in 21 litres but this one went to 1.058, and still finished at the target 1.010. Doesn't really taste any different to what I was expecting though so despite the ABV it's quite refreshing. And dangerous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am finally tasting my hazy pale ale I kegged the other day, I dub thee "Fiddler's Green" after a poem we learned as Cav Scouts and thought of when we lost a Brother. Which is more often now that we are home than when we were fighting. I guess for some, the demons of war are harder when not in the fight and all wounds are not physical. The mental side is tougher to overcome than a cut or a concussion from an explosion.

I think I did well with this one and it doesn't let the name down. It is only the 3rd day in the keg, day 15 since dumping in the fermenter, but it is nice, low bitterness despite the calculations and filled with tropical aromas. The Amarillo is melding well with the azacca and Vic secret for a real blast of flavour and aroma. It is not quite carbonated up to where I like it and the head isn't coming in yet but it is good. I got pretty bad efficiency on this batch and was worried about the bitterness but it has good body, a little light but good, the oats and wheat are probably holding it up.

The 5 min additions are flameout and the hopstands are cube hops. I am still working out my software versus the glass but I am getting closer.

Have a good weekend everyone,

NorrisScreenshot_20200229-191538_Firefox.thumb.jpg.07f3087e812ba5c902d0108be8c2befb.jpgScreenshot_20200229-191527_Firefox.thumb.jpg.24156c42207ca4e0f6ecd078f0e2e6b6.jpg

https://1cda.org/history/fiddler-s-green/

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Multi tasking is overrated 

The human brain can only focus on one thing at a time. What they call multi tasking is just having several things happening at once, but they're still only focused on one of them at a time. 

It's like watching TV and playing a game on your phone or whatever. You're either focused on the TV or the phone, not both. 

43 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The human brain can only focus on one thing at a time. What they call multi tasking is just having several things happening at once, but they're still only focused on one of them at a time. 

It's like watching TV and playing a game on your phone or whatever. You're either focused on the TV or the phone, not both. 

So when I walk and chew gum at the same time which one am I doing best? Hahahaaa.

• Haha 2