Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

54 minutes ago, Cassius said:

@Red devil 44 @Norris!

At the risk of derailing this thread, I never get to speak to Aussie NFL fans so I thought I'd check in as a die hard NFL and Arizona Cardinals fan. My bar at home is shaping into a bit of a sports bar so my wife got me a replica Cardinals helmet signed by Anquon Boldin (my fav all-time Cards player) for my birthday last weekend. Will have to frame my old Boldin jersey too at some point, though it's pretty well-worn.

I haven't met a lot of Cardinal fans before, if any, but Boldin was a beast.

@Cassius

Being from Nebraska, we don't have pro teams just college, I have several teams that I pay attention to, NY Giants and the Cleveland Browns. Yes I am a Brown's fan and yes it sucks. When your greatest memory is from the late 80's then you know something is going wrong and maybe you picked the wrong team to root for, I mean go for (this is Australia, that means something else down here, but I guess I would root for them, why not?).

What makes it worse is when Rooney moved the browns, under the cover of night, to Baltimore and then they become the greatest franchise in the last decade! Yup, that is what being a Brown's fan is like. Being a Giants fan is fun but, honestly I just jump on the bandwagon. I am a Browns fan all day and an occasional giant's fan. If Nebraska had a pro team, I would back them. I really only care about college football because the Browns are so bad and I love my Huskers.

Anyways, I love derailing threads. I might change my name to the Derailer or Railed. Like when I derail a thread I just post a comment that says, "Your thread has been Railed, utterly railed."

Edited by Norris!
  • Haha 1

I currently have a few to choose from:

• a few left of the Honey Blonde (brew #2)
  • half a dozen each of the Beekeeper and Schwarzerweizen (#3a & #3b)
  • Pavlova Pale ale (#4)
  • Fruit Salad ale (#5)
  • Julebryg (#6 - haven't tasted it yet, might try one this weekend, but it is a long term Christmas beer, leaving it for the flavours to mellow out)
  • Boerderij Saison (#7) - tried one last weekend, damn it was yummy!!

Ginger beer (#9) is conditioning, so will wait a bit longer til I try one.

• Like 4

Riwaka Gold    😋

Early tasting - getting a very abvious passionfruit hit off this one.  Nice!   

I really do to find a way of reduce the amount of dry-hop 'floaties' though.  50g was contained in a fine mesh cannister but there's hop debris in abundance in the beer.  I have a hunch that before I used to CC there was a lot more yeast in the bottles and that help suppress and dry-hop matter that was present.   

Anyway, It's a beautiful beer and definitely on the 'brew again' list.  Next time I might pair up the Riwaka with some Hort4337.     😎

RiwakaGold_Mar2020-8.jpg

• Like 6

On 2/22/2020 at 4:06 PM, Beer Baron said:

Rice lager with Sorachi Ace hops. My list of beer ingredients never to use again starts now. I hate you Sorachi Ace hops. It’s JUST drinkable............JUST!!

Just Malted Rice Baron?

... am interested in that possibility of a GF Beer...

Bitter is best!  Back into my Southern Cross Bitter tonight.  I've been down several paths with my exploration of the style but I think I've finally landed where I want to be with this one.  I couldn't get torrified wheat which I had originally intended for this recipe so used Gladfield Redback Wheat instead.  Not really the same thing and I don't know if it's adding much but either way... this one is now on my "brew again" list.   Will probably play around with different hop combos in future versions but I think for me the malt combo is pretty much settled.

And as an aside, the clarity on this one is great, though a little hard to tell with the frosted up glass.  The interesting thing is though it's is one of a few recent brews where I forgot to add whirlfloc in the kettle.   

SC_Bitter_Mar2020-8.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 7

46 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Bitter is best!  Back into my Southern Cross Bitter tonight.  I've been down several paths with my exploration of the style but I think I've finally landed where I want to be with this one.  I couldn't get torrified wheat which I had originally intended for this recipe so used Gladfield Redback Wheat instead.  Not really the same thing and I don't know if it's adding much but either way... this one is now on my "brew again" list.   Will probably play around with different hop combos in future versions but I think for me the malt combo is pretty much settled.

And as an aside, the clarity on this one is great, though a little hard to tell with the frosted up glass.  The interesting thing is though it's is one of a few recent brews where I forgot to add whirlfloc in the kettle.   

SC_Bitter_Mar2020-8.jpg

Do you bottle or keg?

Drinking this

Recipe: Belgian IPA 4337
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Belgian IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 70.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          76.9 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          15.4 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         3          7.7 %         0.33 L        
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          40.7 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
75.00 g          Hort4337 [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          20.6 IBUs     -             
75.00 g          Hort4337 [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           7          9.4 IBUs      -             
75.00 g          Hort4337 [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days             Hop           8          0.0 IBUs      -             
Belgian Pale Ale Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, what a hop.

Grapefruit, some orange, good bitterness (not harsh), and a bit of skunk on the nose. Resinous with a hop burp.
GREAT hop.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

IPA with Citra, Mosaic, Cascade and Amarillo 5%

802652704_CrippleIPA.thumb.jpg.be0a90cf5b1b869c591b7c8d4e3d48ac.jpg

Do you have the recipe for this please?

My dream beer to create is a Fixation clone, (Byron Bay company) & if you swap out the cascade for simcoe, you'd have the basics for Fixation. Just need to work out which hops and when.

23 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Do you have the recipe for this please?

My dream beer to create is a Fixation clone, (Byron Bay company) & if you swap out the cascade for simcoe, you'd have the basics for Fixation. Just need to work out which hops and when.

It was a All grain recipe, did you want the recipe or just the hop schedule?

37 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Both please. I am not AG yet but I can do partials and maybe even a crack at BIAB. 😄

For 27 litres in the fermenter.

4.5kg Coopers Ale

1.5kg Wheat

500g Flaked Oats

300g Rice Hulls

250g Toffee

150g Accidulated

50g Black Malt

10g Topaz 60min

80g Cascade 15min @ 85c

50g Citra & Mosaic 15min @ 85c

20g Citra/Mosaic/Cascade 10min @ 85c

30g Amarillo/Cascade/Citra/Mosaic DH 5 days

US05

Water adjustments made

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sipping on the Leftover IPA. It is pretty crisp and clean with a floral aroma that quickly goes into the tropical aroma and flavours, pretty muddled right now to be honest, but I did just empty the freezer into it, so kind of expected, in hindsight. I expected more orange but am getting a fair whack of pineapple and maybe nectarine, I suck at describing, I need that thing @MitchBastard

Nice beer, but (I almost always think this) the 60 min addition could of been reduced or omitted for all flameout, which would of been slightly increased, and too high of an alcohol content for me, but a good tasty beer none the less. It is also much more bitter than 31ibus probably near 40.

It is fairly balanced with the malt standing tall and coming forward in a toasty bready way that offsets the hops well. Really good body and mouthfeel. So all in all, good beer just not my style.

Screenshot_20200317-185440_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200317-185459_Firefox.jpg

20200317_173950.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

Sipping on the Leftover IPA. It is pretty crisp and clean with a floral aroma that quickly goes into the tropical aroma and flavours, pretty muddled right now to be honest, but I did just empty the freezer into it, so kind of expected, in hindsight. I expected more orange but am getting a fair whack of pineapple and maybe nectarine, I suck at describing, I need that thing @MitchBastard

Nice beer, but (I almost always think this) the 60 min addition could of been reduced or omitted for all flameout, which would of been slightly increased, and too high of an alcohol content for me, but a good tasty beer none the less.

It is fairly balanced with the malt standing tall and coming forward in a toasty bready way that offsets the hops well. Really good body and mouthfeel. So all in all, good beer just not my style.

Screenshot_20200317-185440_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200317-185459_Firefox.jpg

20200317_173950.jpg

Not sure if i grabbed the right thresd. Looks excellent.

• Thanks 1