Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The human brain can only focus on one thing at a time. What they call multi tasking is just having several things happening at once, but they're still only focused on one of them at a time. 

It's like watching TV and playing a game on your phone or whatever. You're either focused on the TV or the phone, not both. 

Almost true.

The Mind can do multiple things at once IF you can see them as being part of the same task. What it cannot do is two tasks simultaneously. 

Minds are what Brains DO. Learn the difference and you might surprise yourself. Here's a hint... even fMRI does NOT see where memories are in the brain. What is SEES are the mechanisms for ACCESSING those memories. The memories are in the patterns of the field that is Mind.

Another early taste. A murky looking Zombie Dust clone. All Citra IPA. More carbonation this time. Tasting good. Not quite there though. Hopefully conditioning for a little while improves it. Only a couple of days in the keg.

My cube hopped beers seem to all have this murky trait.  The wort looks super clear going into the cube but I think I  mix it up too much when transferring to fermenter - even with a siphon. Maybe it will clear up. We'll see.

IMG20200301171301.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Another early taste. A murky looking Zombie Dust clone. All Citra IPA. More carbonation this time. Tasting good. Not quite there though. Hopefully conditioning for a little while improves it. Only a couple of days in the keg.

My cube hopped beers seem to all have this murky trait.  The wort looks super clear going into the cube but I think I  mix it up too much when transferring to fermenter - even with a siphon. Maybe it will clear up. We'll see.

IMG20200301171301.jpg

I don’t think I would brew this a second time. Whilst it’s still a good drop, I find the citra too much. Have another 12 litres of it to drink 

8 hours ago, Popo said:

Maybe it is polyphenols? Perhaps cube hopped beers extract more of them from the hops? 

Cheers,

Christina. 

16 hours ago, Popo said:

IMG20200301171301.jpg

I no-chill cube hop in a hop-sock. I still get reasonably clear wort from the cube - through short tube and seive to aerate - into the FV for fast yeast start. Not worried at this stage about non-clarity. It's the finished fermentation and cold crash that clarifies.

@Popo, do you cold crash for a week after fermentation, then keg at the 4c or so? My keg beer, PA's mostly, will have an early slight tinge but clarify in the cold keg beautifully over a couple of days.

Cheers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I don’t think I would brew this a second time. Whilst it’s still a good drop, I find the citra too much. Have another 12 litres of it to drink 

Yeah, I guess I could see it being a bit too much. I'm the only one that drinks at my place so I only brewed a half batch. Hopefully I don't tire of it in that time. 

8 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Maybe it is polyphenols? Perhaps cube hopped beers extract more of them from the hops?

I dunno. I had to read up on polyphenols. I don't get the astringency though. Just the murk. The hops don't really jump out as much as I'd expect/hope either.

6 minutes ago, Worthog said:

I no-chill cube hop in a hop-sock. I still get reasonably clear wort from the cube - through short tube and seive to aerate - into the FV for fast yeast start. Not worried at this stage about non-clarity. It's the finished fermentation and cold crash that clarifies.

@Popo, do you cold crash for a week after fermentation, then keg at the 4c or so? My keg beer, PA's mostly, will have an early slight tinge but clarify in the cold keg beautifully over a couple of days.

Cheers

Yeah, mate, that's pretty much the same as cold crash process. I haven't been containing the hops though. I'll give it a week before I have another pour and see how they go.

I think I'll give the cube hops a miss for the next couple of brews and see if that helps in terms of flavour and clarity. It could well be another fault in my process but I'll try this and see where it ends up.

This was last night. My 'Kicker' @ 8.3% - almost out of it but it has gotten better with age. I thought it was going to get too strong in taste as the bitterness is quite high but it has mellowed, just in time for me to run out. 😞 The head looks a bit bubbly but it hung around all the way down. Was richer looking in the top up of the rest of the bottle. (gotta to remember to wipe the glass down before taking pics - it wasn't cloudy at all.

image.thumb.png.7067bb40e000c959898e984e432b850f.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

This was last night. My 'Kicker' @ 8.3% - almost out of it but it has gotten better with age. I thought it was going to get too strong in taste as the bitterness is quite high but it has mellowed, just in time for me to run out. 😞 The head looks a bit bubbly but it hung around all the way down. Was richer looking in the top up of the rest of the bottle. (gotta to remember to wipe the glass down before taking pics - it wasn't cloudy at all.

image.thumb.png.7067bb40e000c959898e984e432b850f.png

The more condensation on the glass makes me think a fine beer at correct temperature. Looks fine to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Titan said:

The more condensation on the glass makes me think a fine beer at correct temperature. Looks fine to me.

Just makes it a bit hard to see clarity.

This one is my Exbeeriment - just on 2 weeks in bottle so improvement to come but it drinks VERY nicely. Very clear in the bottle but bit bubbly in the glass - maybe I didn't wash it properly or it's just young? This had oats and grains (Golden Promise and Coopers Ale) and Amber DME - 15 min centennial boil, whirlpool cascade and dry of Citra, all 25 g.

Question is, can I keep my hands off it for a while to let it hit full potential? 😄 

image.thumb.png.5f482aaf153892175f8dcb8402f7f47c.png

image.thumb.png.4301050f4ca54548d99d655a9ee7721c.png

• Like 6

I am sipping on a hazy pale ale I called Fiddler's Green. It is niiice. I was focusing on really trying to get the tropical fruit and citrus flavours to pop and I think I did a pretty good job of it. The Amarillo comes through well and gives it an orange taste and aroma, think when you try to open an orange peel or orange slice and get a squirt of it, it is that taste and aroma.

I am also picking up some pineapple maybe? Just a really tropical flavour and aroma, bordering on carbonated juice but with just, slightly, enough bitterness to let you know it is a beer. It is juicy.  The azacca, like always, is awesome and the Vic secret is good to. I am not getting any pine or dankness from the hops, which was a focus and hope. I was worried that maybe the Vic Secret might give some off but not at flameout or cubed, it seems, on this batch.

I like the base I am using but have to play around with it a little more as the body on this could be a little better, it came in at 1.046ish while using about 500g more grain got me 1.061...I am still working on consistency for my efficiency...as I grab the mash paddle and stir with ferocity (see what I did there, for those in the back).

Anyways, besides increasing the OG I will probably run with this base and just adjust the hops for my taste. Well kind of....I will keep tinkering because that is what we do.

Good brewing,

Norris

20200305_160335.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

So @Norris!

Whats the story behind “fiddlers green”.

I like it.

It is a poem we learned while becoming cavalry scouts. It talks about where we go and who gets to stay and drink at Fiddler's Green and who goes on to the pearly gates. I made it for my Brothers who are not here today.

https://1cda.org/history/fiddler-s-green/

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 7

I was very hesitant to use the name but wanted to honour it and my Brothers with something that was bold and can stand next to any breweries selections and shine, like we do when rocking our spurs and Stetsons. It had to have swagger and pop you in the face, with its aroma, before the glass hits your lips, like we do if you run your mouth too much. It had to have enough bitterness, a backbone, to let you know this isn't the hipster version of a hazy but a grown folks version. Welcome to the elyssian fields my friends but we like to call our side of it Fiddler's Green.

It is a good attempt, it is just graduating basic training. The next batch will be the SGT version and by the time it gets to SGM, sergeant major, it should be right. Just got to dial in that body some.

• Like 5

My crack at the Coopers Caribbean Siesta, I had to use Simcoe Hops as I couldn’t get my hands on any Calypso.

First one off the Tap.

Bit cloudy but tastes nice, certainly can taste the hops in the background.

Happy with this.

Cheers RD44

5EA14248-2A85-4E69-8524-BB90205EE323.jpeg

• Like 6

On 2/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

The human brain can only focus on one thing at a time. What they call multi tasking is just having several things happening at once, but they're still only focused on one of them at a time. 

It's like watching TV and playing a game on your phone or whatever. You're either focused on the TV or the phone, not both. 

Is this a scientific theory or a fact? 😜