Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

My first temperature controlled brew - Green Neck Lager, a kit & kilo. This photo was a couple of weeks ago but I posted it on a different thread.

I really like the beer but even a few friends that aren't really into home brew have praised it as well.

Sadly, I'm down to my last few bottles. Will definitely be making this one again.

IMG20200307143034.jpg

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

My first temperature controlled brew - Green Neck Lager, a kit & kilo. This photo was a couple of weeks ago but I posted it on a different thread.

I really like the beer but even a few friends that aren't really into home brew have praised it as well.

Sadly, I'm down to my last few bottles. Will definitely be making this one again.

IMG20200307143034.jpg

Good job mate 🍺🍺

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks Red. This was the one you kegged recently, wasn't it? How's it been going down for you?

Yeah wasn’t convinced at first, tasted a bit bland. But over the last few weeks I’ve had a couple of schooners ( been away working ), and it tastes better. Strange taste, can’t put my finger on it just yet, but not a bad summer simple beer to make. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hoppy Mate do you use one of those fancy whizzbang automated gadgets like Painfather or Roboburp or Goo-Ten (😋) and hafta add yer Rice Hulls to stop the bad boy bogging up?

I am a basic BIAB brewer with a SS Mesh Basket in a big fat SS vessel... and don't seem to have bogging probs... but am wondering whether I should think about using Rice Hulls in some as it might improve sparging and capture a bit more of the fermentables?

And maybe esp if I crank up the stickier stuff like more Wheat and Flaked Oats and or Rye Malt...

Hey BB,

I just use a 70lt pot with basket mate, I chuck the rice hulls in when I use a fair amount of wheat just in case.

Chuck some I'm next time and see if it makes any difference.

20200321_094540.jpg

20200321_094655.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Hey BB,

I just use a 70lt pot with basket mate, I chuck the rice hulls in when I use a fair amount of wheat just in case.

Chuck some I'm next time and see if it makes any difference.

Gold - thanks Hoppy - yeah I reckon I should try to get some and give it go - even in the Hefeweizen scenario...

Nice set up.  So you got a Robocop as well as big fat SS vessels?  OR do you use them in some sort of festive 3 vessel system?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice set up.  So you got a Robocop as well as big fat SS vessels?  OR do you use them in some sort of festive 3 vessel system?

Cheers. 

That's a digboil that I use for my sparge water.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Cheers. 

That's a digboil that I use for my sparge water.

Beaut. Ta. Mate what volume water do you sparge with - and do you just drain it through the mashed grain or pump-recirc for the sparge?

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Beaut. Ta. Mate what volume water do you sparge with - and do you just drain it through the mashed grain or pump-recirc for the sparge?

Between 25-30l, I manually recirc throughout the mash and then when sparging i use a 5l jug and tip it over the grains via the mash paddle to give it a bit of a fan affect if you know what i mean.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:

My first temperature controlled brew

So Muzz are you feeling the "Temp Control Love" ?

I reckon it's good stuff... and really great to hear that your brew is a beaut.  Well done  mate. BB

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So Muzz are you feeling the "Temp Control Love" ?

I reckon it's good stuff... and really great to hear that your brew is a beaut.  Well done  mate. BB

Cheers, BB.
I'll probably need a little more time to become a true temp control convert. The Green Neck Lager was the first lager I've made with actual lager yeast so it could be the ingredients that made it a good brew. This morning I bottled my go-to brew APA + BE2 + EKG hops. This will give me a better indication of how much difference the brew fridge actually makes.
However, with the Inkbird it was nice not having to worry about the swamp cooler any more.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Cheers, BB.
I'll probably need a little more time to become a true temp control convert. The Green Neck Lager was the first lager I've made with actual lager yeast so it could be the ingredients that made it a good brew. This morning I bottled my go-to brew APA + BE2 + EKG hops. This will give me a better indication of how much difference the brew fridge actually makes.
However, with the Inkbird it was nice not having to worry about the swamp cooler any more.

Muzz you are on the move with the brewing improve mate... luvyerwork.  Good ingredients plus good process = good brew ; )

I really reckon you might consider having a crack at your APA go-to-brew with adding liquid malt maybe...

Yeah no doubt it's a bit more exy liq over dry... but if you subbed out the BE2 and then instead added Amber Liquid Malt or Light Liquid Malt 1.5kg I reckon you might be amazed by the difference.  Worth a try mate.  (I used to use both when I did KnK ha ha).

Just a thought...  Know a cuppla new-start brewers who came to me late last year for some advice for improve on Pale Ale - I said use Liquid Malt as well as BE2/Malt - so something like Coopers Kit + Coopers Light Liq Malt and dry malt as well... plus gave them some Citra-Cascade-Centennial for late hop.... they were very happy with their step up...  great head and head retention and mouth-feel (and the hops for taste).

But you might be happy with your benchmark brew as it stands too : )

• Like 2

A week later than planned, but finally kegged my extract/partial mash Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone-ish brew. (Linky)

SN-TorpedoIPA.jpg

Very first pour from the keg.

7.0% ABV, Malty, hoppy, aromatic, hint of resin, hint of alcohol warmth, good bitterness. Delicious! 🤤

I'm going to have a hard time leaving this alone now that I've had a glass.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Muzz you are on the move with the brewing improve mate... luvyerwork.  Good ingredients plus good process = good brew ; )

I really reckon you might consider having a crack at your APA go-to-brew with adding liquid malt maybe...

Yeah no doubt it's a bit more exy liq over dry... but if you subbed out the BE2 and then instead added Amber Liquid Malt or Light Liquid Malt 1.5kg I reckon you might be amazed by the difference.  Worth a try mate.  (I used to use both when I did KnK ha ha).

Just a thought...  Know a cuppla new-start brewers who came to me late last year for some advice for improve on Pale Ale - I said use Liquid Malt as well as BE2/Malt - so something like Coopers Kit + Coopers Light Liq Malt and dry malt as well... plus gave them some Citra-Cascade-Centennial for late hop.... they were very happy with their step up...  great head and head retention and mouth-feel (and the hops for taste).

But you might be happy with your benchmark brew as it stands too : )

Funny you should mention LME, Burbs. I bottled 2  lagers, a T.Cooper Gold Crown and a Euro, on March 11 and used LME instead of the usual enhancers. I figured if I'm going to spend a little more on the brew cans I may as well add a better fermentable.

Also just received an order of more LME yesterday.

With most people on here suggesting more malt is the way to go I figured LME is actually an economical way to go. A kilo of LDM is around $16. A tin of LME is only about $11 but equates to more than a kilo of the dry.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

A tin of LME is only about $11 but equates to more than a kilo of the dry.

Yeah a tin at 1.5kg of Liquid equates to more than a kilo dry... and the head retention and mouthfeel and just plain better beer is achieved with liquid malt.

When I was KnK'ing I tried a pure dry malt full malt brew at one stage (no tin - just my dry malt and hops) and although it was fine in taste and body the head and head retention was dire and mouthfeel not anywhere near as good as Coopers Tin + liquid malt or a Coopers Toucan ; )

So I reckon you are moving ahead mate using the liquid malts - luvyerwork.

And ha ha - I have done both Coops Golden Crown and Euro and both were great - looking forward to hearing how you go!  Reckon the GCL was better than Euro ; )

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Belgian Blonde. In the keg since Monday.  Thanks Greeny for the recipe. Very happy with it. Nice subtle hint of banana that’s welcome. Fermented at 18 but ramped up one degree each day until it hit 24.

Magic Paddy!  And a beautiful day to be self-isolating with a sensational Belgian Blonde...

And if yer got the recipe off @Greeny1525229549 Greeny "The King of the Belgians" mate you had to be on a winner!!!  😝

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah a tin at 1.5kg of Liquid equates to more than a kilo dry... and the head retention and mouthfeel and just plain better beer is achieved with liquid malt.When I was KnK'ing I tried a pure dry malt full malt brew at one stage (no tin - just my dry malt and hops) and although it was fine in taste and body the head and head retention was dire and mouthfeel not anywhere near as good as Coopers Tin + liquid malt or a Coopers Toucan ; )

And ha ha - I have done both Coops Golden Crown and Euro and both were great - looking forward to hearing how you go!  Reckon the GCL was better than Euro ; )

You're all over it like a cheap suit, Burbs. I posted a photo above of SMOTY Ale, my first toucan. I can't believe the difference in head retention. Amazing.
On pre-bottled sampling, the TC Gold Crown tasted better than the Euro. Sort of sweet flavour. 🙂 

• Like 2

Just now, PaddyBrew2 said:

Spot on mate.  Me and my festive dog enjoying the front yard and the thirty degree day. This self isolating is pretty easy when you’re a social recluse anyway 😂

Yeah but mate am pretty disappointed as yer mate is not in the photo - somewhat remiss of you Cobber!

You just might have to force yerself to have another Belgian and get yer mate in focus on another shot?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Belgian Blonde. In the keg since Monday.  Thanks Greeny for the recipe. Very happy with it. Nice subtle hint of banana that’s welcome. Fermented at 18 but ramped up one degree each day until it hit 24. 

71817B38-CE88-4F8D-9CCB-74BB19CE3799.jpeg

Nice looking area (and beer), Paddy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

You're all over it like a cheap suit, Burbs. I posted a photo above of SMOTY Ale, my first toucan. I can't believe the difference in head retention. Amazing.

Ha ha Muzzy.... wait till you do your first AG 🙃