Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

The AG Kegged Golden Ale seems even clearer today... naturally conditioned i.e. secondary ferment in-keg....and not a drop of fishguts to be seen nor any ground up poly-pipe... ; )

image.png.77bf4fc9294863a807c8c83b36700b0d.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 7

Just mixed half a glass of the 3c's pale ale with mosaic and the amarillo SMASH and man is this good. I always thought Otto's mixed keg was pretty cool but never tried to really mix any beers, but after a few I thought why not experiment.  So glad I did.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Norris! said:

Just mixed half a glass of the 3c's pale ale with mosaic and the amarillo SMASH and man is this good. I always thought Otto's mixed keg was pretty cool but never tried to really mix any beers, but after a few I thought why not experiment.  So glad I did.

I’ll often do this Norris, especially when one beer isn’t that great. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ll often do this Norris, especially when one beer isn’t that great. 

Hahah, I was just curious and had gotten into the two for most of the night and wanted to see how they went together. I will remember this going forward but I like the Amarillo SMASH and the 3c's too much to mix them fully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Norris! said:

@Bearded Burbler

Hey Mate, yeah the SS mesh balls would work well. I use em a lot for that, fill one side and close it and ready to go. 

You have been making some nice brews lately, well they look and sound nice. Great spot to be in Mate.

Cheers Norris - will see if I can get a big one of those SS fellas for a late hop - just toss in and leave it hey?

Yeah I think the AG brewing is going ok...  efficiency is not that great.... and then my biggest problem is my kegs keep infesting my brew fridge... severe conflict of interest.  Fortunately we have cool wet weather at the mo so my Rauchbier is happily ensconced in the Larder and goin' off like a frog in a sock at around 20 deg !?! 😋

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Norris! said:

Hahah, I was just curious and had gotten into the two for most of the night and wanted to see how they went together. I will remember this going forward but I like the Amarillo SMASH and the 3c's too much to mix them fully.

I have my English bitter I’m keen to mix it with something. It’s a nice brew but not very summery. It’s biscuity and nutty but suits a nice cold evening with the fire on.  I have 17 litres more of the ba$tard to get through 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Consuming from two of the main food groups.

Coopers XPA, mine, not the commercial version (nothing against it though).

Nice clarity.  Thank you fishguts and recycled polypipe.

In the background are my hops, about 10' tall.  The one on the left is East Kent Goldings (going gangbusters), Red Earth in the middle and on the right, barely visible, is Cascade.

IMG_1663.thumb.JPG.312dac5c6ecdf9d449603a4265123279.JPG

• Like 8

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I have my English bitter I’m keen to mix it with something. It’s a nice brew but not very summery. It’s biscuity and nutty but suits a nice cold evening with the fire on.  I have 17 litres more of the ba$tard to get through 

I guess I am late to the party@The Captain!!

@Paddybrew

Hmmm, I might try mixing things up on a brew that is maybe too heavy or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Consuming from two of the main food groups.

Coopers XPA, mine, not the commercial version (nothing against it though).

Nice clarity.  Thank you fishguts and recycled polypipe.

In the background are my hops, about 10' tall.  The one on the left is East Kent Goldings (going gangbusters), Red Earth in the middle and on the right, barely visible, is Cascade.

IMG_1663.thumb.JPG.312dac5c6ecdf9d449603a4265123279.JPG

That beer looks awesome Shamus!

And a few shapes to go with, nice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

That beer looks awesome Shamus!

And a few shapes to go with, nice.

Thanks.  I am loving this beer.  One of my best ever.  A little bit sweeter than the actual Coopers XPA.  I think this was because the LHBS guy gave me a darker crystal malt instead of a lighter carmalt.

My old nan, rest her soul, used to call the shapes "beer bickies".  So they are appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Shamus O'Sean looking great mate, the pizza shapes are the piece’ de resistance’

looks like you have enough room to throw down a few rows of malt too 😂

I watched a YT video once of a guy growing barley in his backyard and going through the whole malting process.  I think it was called Beer Making the Hard Way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Yeah you’d have to be keen 😁

Ha ha agree MB.  Funny was just talking about this with a mate.

On a yield of 2T/ha (average/basic reasonable yield) for Barley for 5kg you would require a plot of at least 25 square metres or a 5x5.

If you had ideal conditions with no drought, no severe winds, weed invasion and no hail or rain around harvest, plus good soil fertility, no roos-wombats-rabbits-cockatoos-rats-thieving neighbours-fusarium blight-powdery mildew-yellow dwarf virus-smut-rust-nematodes and store it without weevils you might get 3T and more per ha.... getting more like around 7.5kg ; )

But then you gotta go through the malting process 😮

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, Hoppy81 said:

I purchased a 6kg bottle from BOC for $50 then $14 per month rental i think it was, not the cheapest but it's worth it in my opinion mate

Hoppy what pressure do you gas your Stout up at mate with the Beer Gas?

Cheers

BB

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hoppy what pressure do you gas your Stout up at mate with the Beer Gas?

Cheers

BB

I think i set it to norm, around 12psi for 2 weeks then i have the nitro pushing it out around 40psi. But as someone mentioned previously, i could probably just carbonate it with this mix as it's a 70/30 mix

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I think i set it to norm, around 12psi for 2 weeks then i have the nitro pushing it out around 40psi. But as someone mentioned previously, i could probably just carbonate it with this mix as it's a 70/30 mix

Thanks mate.

Yeah I think from reading, it is best to gas it with the very same gas that you are going to pour with...

So gas with the Nitro Mix and pour with the Nitro Mix.

I had mine on for a week but somehow have got buggggggger all gas into it...  Regulator and Gas Line and Disconn that I have used for other C02 kegs.....  but maybe I have just gotta let it go for longer....mmm cos I would gas other brews longer...

Or I guess maybe the Disconn might be blocking... but there is always plenty gas in the keg via the PRV...

Anyway... gotta sort it out.

Cheers mate

BB