Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Still sipping on the Amarillo SMASH with Barrett Burston Pale Ale Malt. The hop bite continues to diminish and the brew keeps getting better.

This isn't a 5/5 brew but a strong 3/5 maybe a 4/5. What holds it back is the one dimensional side of it. A good base to experiment with though. I would add some wheat to this and maybe play with the colour some, try to get it deep red and or orange with the same aroma and flavour. I would add at least one other hop, also. Maybe something piney/dank or keep pushing the fruity citrus side of it.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 2

Well there it is my first AG Pilsner and 2nd AG brew. Pretty much followed the recipe of  @Otto Von Blotto and fermented with a slurry of Urquell 2001.  However, I shortened the 90min boil and reduced the ABV to 3.9%. which is the target for all my beers now.   

It was CC'd for a week then transfered to a keg, finned and left on the gas @ 20psi for a week in my lagering fridge at 20.  Tapped it today and could not help myself. Tastes great will leave it to lager in my kegger for another month before it becomes part of my regular bank of beers.   

Must say I am pretty chuffed right now as I have been trying to make a Pilsner of this quality for nearly 2 years and have failed every time.   My verdict, you can't make a good Pilsner from kits and bits.  Well not one to the standard I want.    Oh, the clarity will improve as it was the 1st beer from keg.  

20200207_170704.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Who needs nitro when you have a head like that

congrats marty mate. It’s a great feeling when you make it from scratch and I’m not saying this cos I’m single but the first gulp off a new batch is better than any root, even a good looking one 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

For the past few brews I have been dropping the temp to 15C (soft crashing) before adding the dry hops,

Remember reading about Brewdog (those of the massive hop additions) dry hopping at 14C so must be something in it.  May need to try in my next big dry hop to see the effect.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

so pressure fermented?   What do you think of it, the pressure ferment that is. 

Nargh.  Nix pressure fermented.  Standard well planned and executed AG Brew. 

However, naturally carbed in the Keg. 

Am wondering whether naturally carbed kegs actually deliver finer bubble texture.   One LHBS fella did say that.  This is fine bubble cream.

Anyway... carbed in the keg as a secondary ferment. Then served w C02.... pure Gold.

6 minutes ago, Dozer71 said:

Remember reading about Brewdog (those of the massive hop additions) dry hopping at 14C so must be something in it.  May need to try in my next big dry hop to see the effect.

I reckon what @ChristinaS1 is likely to be spot on - as when you drop the temps - the volatiles - the hop oils - are not going to go missing... you won't smell them as they are not volatilising and leaving the brew...

So dry hopping at cold temps is going to keep them in solution... so reckon that is a great idea and one I should try also ; )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dozer71 said:

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I reckon what @ChristinaS1 is likely to be spot on - as when you drop the temps - the volatiles - the hop oils - are not going to go missing... you won't smell them as they are not volatilising and leaving the brew...

So dry hopping at cold temps is going to keep them in solution... so reckon that is a great idea and one I should try also ; )

And it is not just Brewdog. Scott Janish says soft crashing is a common practice in craft breweries....If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Beerlust Thanks for your input Lusty. Yes, of course the type of hop makes a difference. I am not sure why you picked Magnum as an example. Who uses Magnum as a hop stand addition?! 🤣 Perhaps Saaz or Tettnang would be better examples, where you might choose 85C if you wanted to bring out herbal character, or 75C if you wanted to bring out woody character.

Are you still using SFWH? That is neat; however, I don't think SFWH is particularly useful in preserving myrcene, as the wort is boiled afterwards. 🤔 And is it even worth worrying about how much myrcene makes it into the FV? Doesn't the yeast pretty much get rid of it during fermentation? If you are interested in myrcene, look to dry hopping. 

That being said, some hop compounds are more durable than myrcene and do make it through fermentation, or are transformed during fermentation into other compounds, so late kettle and whirlpool additions are very important. We are all aware by now how much of a difference hop bursting makes. And I believe it was you who got me to try larger and longer hop stand additions. 👍

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

@The Captain!! El Capitano ver. 2 is carbed up now. It is nice, and easy drinking. I will make it again, but try and get it a little closer to Faded Jeans PA, now that I have your recipe. Meanwhile, this is not going to be a hardship to drink. Yum. 

Cheers,

Christina.

That’s great Christina. 
Glad it’s good. I’m also looking forward to you getting closer to Faded Jeans. It’s such a nice beer.