Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

22 hours ago, Norris! said:

It is a poem we learned while becoming cavalry scouts. It talks about where we go and who gets to stay and drink at Fiddler's Green and who goes on to the pearly gates. I made it for my Brothers who are not here today.

https://1cda.org/history/fiddler-s-green/

What a small world. Just reading the poem and it’s origins and the link to Ireland. Would you believe I was born and raised in Garryowen  

Great reference mate for what looks like a great brew.

On ya mate 

The cavalry paradise reference seems to be associated with the 7th US Cavalry from the post Civil War era and the Indian Wars period (circa 1860-1870). Now, there is a link between the 7th US Cavalry and Ireland. Many Troopers of the 7th Cavalry were of Irish origin, and the 7th Cavalry’s own insignia has the phrase “Garryowen” on it. “Garryowen” is a derivative of the Irish Gaelic Garraí Eóin which means Owen’s Garden. Owen’s Garden was a commons (open field) in Limerick, Ireland that gave rise to a drinking ballad of the same name. The 5th Royal Irish Lances, an Irish cavalry unit, used that drinking ballad

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

What a small world. Just reading the poem and it’s origins and the link to Ireland. Would you believe I was born and raised in Garryowen  

Great reference mate for what looks like a great brew.

On ya mate 

The cavalry paradise reference seems to be associated with the 7th US Cavalry from the post Civil War era and the Indian Wars period (circa 1860-1870). Now, there is a link between the 7th US Cavalry and Ireland. Many Troopers of the 7th Cavalry were of Irish origin, and the 7th Cavalry’s own insignia has the phrase “Garryowen” on it. “Garryowen” is a derivative of the Irish Gaelic Garraí Eóin which means Owen’s Garden. Owen’s Garden was a commons (open field) in Limerick, Ireland that gave rise to a drinking ballad of the same name. The 5th Royal Irish Lances, an Irish cavalry unit, used that drinking ballad

Thanks Paddy. When I was stationed in Korea I was at Garry Owen, we split the name, and we just called it GO, for guys only. It was a combat outpost so at the time, 2003 there were only men in combat arms and that close to the DMZ, every female that came to the post was met with stares from the entire camp. I don't miss that place but appreciated the history of it and the origins.

Very small world but the connections are what brings us closer.

• Like 2

@Norris!
I really like the sentiment behind your Fiddler's Green beer. I am curious and you'll need to forgive my ignorance please but I'd like to know more.
You served in Korea. Was that with ADF? I'm a little confused because you mentioned Stetsons, which raises images of an American cowboy hat to me. Coopers member map suggests you live in Australia. So I'm trying to work out if you served with US Forces and now live in Oz or you served with ADF because I wasn't aware Aussies served in Korea since the 1950s.
Please don't think for a minute I'm questioning your credentials. I genuinely am curious. I was going to suggest Fiddler's Green would be an ideal beer for ANZAC Day but if you served with US Forces it's probably not as relevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

@Norris!
I really like the sentiment behind your Fiddler's Green beer. I am curious and you'll need to forgive my ignorance please but I'd like to know more.
You served in Korea. Was that with ADF? I'm a little confused because you mentioned Stetsons, which raises images of an American cowboy hat to me. Coopers member map suggests you live in Australia. So I'm trying to work out if you served with US Forces and now live in Oz or you served with ADF because I wasn't aware Aussies served in Korea since the 1950s.
Please don't think for a minute I'm questioning your credentials. I genuinely am curious. I was going to suggest Fiddler's Green would be an ideal beer for ANZAC Day but if you served with US Forces it's probably not as relevant.

Hairy is correct, cheers Mate.

I do March in the ANZAC day parades, I was hesitant to do so but a few Veterans here suggested I should.

My view is that while we are honoring the ANZAC soldiers and Veterans, US and ANZAC forces have been fighting side by side for over 100 years dating back to WWI, so we should honor each other's service. It would be a tasty beer but not sure how many older blokes would like it over a VB.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Hairy is correct, cheers Mate.

I do March in the ANZAC day parades, I was hesitant to do so but a few Veterans here suggested I should.

My view is that while we are honoring the ANZAC soldiers and Veterans, US and ANZAC forces have been fighting side by side for over 100 years dating back to WWI, so we should honor each other's service. It would be a tasty beer but not sure how many older blokes would like it over a VB.

Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I wasn't questioning your credentials one bit. I admire anyone that serves their country. I'm not sure it's a sacrifice I'd make voluntarily. I'd like to think I'd stand up if called upon but at 53 I reckon that's unlikely.
Anyway the Fiddler's Green would be a great way to toast ANZAC Day then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Just put my Green Neck Lager on tap, gassed up during the week, good carbonation, not bad, nice on a muggy day.

Here it is Muzzy 

7D13119E-8690-4FFA-BB66-85B4CE475EE7.jpeg

Well this is interesting, Red. Your beer looks nice but going by our comparative photos it looks like I've produced a clearer beer than yours. I would've thought it would be the other way around since yours is kegged. I'm baffled as to why that would be, especially as mine is still a week away from optimum bottling time as per the recipe. Not that it matters much, as long as we have a nice drop to drink each. 🙂 
PS. Do you get a bit of a poo smell coming from the outside of your glass? 😄 

Edited by MUZZY

@MUZZY

I joined the US Army as a Cav Scout back in 2002. My first duty station was Garry Owen in Korea, a 1 year tour, then 5 years at Ft Benning, Ga, in the 10th Cav and then 2/69 Amour Scout plt, with 2 deployments to Iraq while at Benning. After being retired due to wounds incurred in combat, I went to Uni and got a degree so someone would hire me and moved down under, where my wife is from.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Well this is interesting, Red. Your beer looks nice but going by our comparative photos it looks like I've produced a clearer beer than yours. I would've thought it would be the other way around since yours is kegged. I'm baffled as to why that would be, especially as mine is still a week away from optimum bottling time as per the recipe. Not that it matters much, as long as we have a nice drop to drink each. 🙂 
PS. Do you get a bit of a poo smell coming from the outside of your glass? 😄 

Hmmm, Green Neck Lager, it’s so so, used to love lagers but now I’ve changed to Pale Ales & Wheat Beer and Craft Beer, but rest assured I won’t get a man bun & wear jeans rolled halfway up my legs & wear Tommy Hilfiger gear 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hmmm, Green Neck Lager, it’s so so, used to love lagers but now I’ve changed to Pale Ales & Wheat Beer and Craft Beer, but rest assured I won’t get a man bun & wear jeans rolled halfway up my legs & wear Tommy Hilfiger gear 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No poo smell either 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

@MUZZY

I joined the US Army as a Cav Scout back in 2002. My first duty station was Garry Owen in Korea, a 1 year tour, then 5 years at Ft Benning, Ga, in the 10th Cav and then 2/69 Amour Scout plt, with 2 deployments to Iraq while at Benning. After being retired due to wounds incurred in combat, I went to Uni and got a degree so someone would hire me and moved down under, where my wife is from.

Wow, man! I hope your health is good now. And there lies the reason I wouldn't volunteer to serve without some heavy prompting.
Kudos to you, Norris. 

• Thanks 1

@MUZZY

Forgot to add, the Stetsons and spurs are a Cavalry thing. We earn the right to wear them, the spurs after going to war and/or completing an endurance and knowledge event over 24+ hours called a spur ride. Once you have your spurs you can don the Stetson. We also have sabers for our dress uniforms to go with them. The infantry has a blue cord for their dress uniforms but that is the real only distinction between them and the rest of the Army. We on the other hand clink and rattle with big ole cowboy hats.

• Thanks 1

@MUZZY

Forgot to add, the Stetsons and spurs are a Cavalry thing. We earn the right to wear them, the spurs after going to war and/or completing an endurance and knowledge event over 24+ hours called a spur ride. Once you have your spurs you can don the Stetson. We also have sabers for our dress uniforms to go with them. The infantry has a blue cord for their dress uniforms but that is the real only distinction between them and the rest of the Army. We on the other hand clink and rattle with big ole cowboy hats.

Kudos to you mate, well done.

Where do you hail from in the US ?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

A dig at your Man U glass. 😉 

@MUZZY

My wife likes flowers and I Man Utd, so I had a single Man Utd quilt cover as a kid, so i asked my mother in law who was a seamstress to make us a queen size quilt cover, Man Utd one side, flowers the other and join them together, wife didn’t approve, I couldn’t see what the issue was ? 
Man Utd is in my blood, what can I say 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Wow, man! I hope your health is good now. And there lies the reason I wouldn't volunteer to serve without some heavy prompting.
Kudos to you, Norris. 

Thanks Mate. Physically I am pretty good but I hurt everyday and all the time from the explosion and loss of tissue and muscle In my shoulder and leg and the general wear and tear on your body. But at least I am here, cognitive and not severely deformed from it. I don't take pain meds or anything for it just a lot of stretching and trying to push myself to be where I was before. That will never happen but it is a goal.

Mentally, that is an everyday battle that I realise more and more is going to be a marathon and not a race like it was for the body to heal. But as an adult I also realise that is life and the real world is not Leave it to Beaver, but with real problems. Facing those issues brings knowledge, experience and fortitude. I look forward to those challenges but a lot of my Brothers have not been able to defeat it, that is tough to bear some days.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

@MUZZY

My wife likes flowers and I Man Utd, so I had a single Man Utd quilt cover as a kid, so i asked my mother in law who was a seamstress to make us a queen size quilt cover, Man Utd one side, flowers the other and join them together, wife didn’t approve, I couldn’t see what the issue was ? 
Man Utd is in my blood, what can I say 🤣🤣

I don't really follow the EPL much. I just saw an opportunity to have a dig at you. I have a slight soft spot for Liverpool, as my neighbours are Liverpudlians and nice folks. Sort of happy to see them winning this year after squandering their pre-Xmas lead last year. I think it was last year, maybe year before.

11 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Kudos to you mate, well done.

Where do you hail from in the US ?

I am from Omaha Nebraska but lived in Columbus Ga while at Ft Benning and after being retired for about 7 years.

Thanks Mate. Physically I am pretty good but I hurt everyday and all the time from the explosion and loss of tissue and muscle In my shoulder and leg and the general wear and tear on your body. But at least I am here, cognitive and not severely deformed from it. I don't take pain meds or anything for it just a lot of stretching and trying to push myself to be where I was before. That will never happen but it is a goal.

Mentally, that is an everyday battle that I realise more and more is going to be a marathon and not a race like it was for the body to heal. But as an adult I also realise that is life and the real world is not Leave it to Beaver, but with real problems. Facing those issues brings knowledge, experience and fortitude. I look forward to those challenges but a lot of my Brothers have not been able to defeat it, that is tough to bear some days.

Is the member map correct with Wodonga? I know how cold it gets around that way. That would make it hard on the body. Although it's a beautiful part of Australia that wouldn't hurt the mind too much. I was born in Benalla and know the region a little.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Is the member map correct with Wodonga? I know how cold it gets around that way. That would make it hard on the body. Although it's a beautiful part of Australia that wouldn't hurt the mind too much. I was born in Benalla and know the region a little.

Yes Wodonga. My Wife's family is from this area. It is a great place. Now that I have been here for a while it seems to get colder every year or I need some more concrete to harden up.

• Haha 1