Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Just now, Titan said:

Not sure if i grabbed the right thresd. Looks excellent.

I edited it to say it was a little too bitter, no biggie.

Cheers Mate. Yeah it looks the goods and tastes all right but that glass hit me and now I am not having anymore which is disappointing because I wanted a glass of the Fiddler's Green tonight. Oh well always tomorrow.

I didn't think it would clear either, due to the yeast, the wheat and the hops but I did a good 4 day cold crash and tossed in the last of my gelatin, which was about 3/4 of the amount that I usually use. I also slow carbed the batch for 7 days, so that probably helped it a little.

• Like 1

Last night I pulled some of the latest bottled batch - I call it Strong IPA but not sure there was enough hops to call it an IPA. 25g mosaic for 15 mins and 25 centennial day 4. I do seem to be producing reddish beers but the flavours are awesome!

But it was YUM! Good head, lacing and barely 2 weeks in the bottle. The 2nd pic is to show the apparent 'haze' is actually on the glass. (vis-a-vis another thread discussion)

1089255352_StrongIPA1.thumb.jpg.172398a0685716caf3c5c71265486e3d.jpg

StrongIPA 3.jpg

Quite pleased with how it clings in a barely-old-enough beer.  😄 

StrongIPA 2.jpg

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Last night I pulled some of the latest bottled batch - I call it Strong IPA but not sure there was enough hops to call it an IPA. 25g mosaic for 15 mins and 25 centennial day 4. I do seem to be producing reddish beers but the flavours are awesome!

But it was YUM! Good head, lacing and barely 2 weeks in the bottle. The 2nd pic is to show the apparent 'haze' is actually on the glass. (vis-a-vis another thread discussion)

1089255352_StrongIPA1.thumb.jpg.172398a0685716caf3c5c71265486e3d.jpg

StrongIPA 3.jpg

Quite pleased with how it clings in a barely-old-enough beer.  😄 

StrongIPA 2.jpg

Man that is a really good looking colour. What was the recipe?

I call beers almost whatever style I think it belongs in even if it doesn't quite fit the guidelines or expectations. An ale over 5.5% is probably an IPA in my house. I brew a lot with M54 yeast which is a lager yeast that can ferment at ale temps, I don't call it a lager but an ale but I have also kind of wondered about the naming and types of beers until it just did my head in and started calling them the closest thing to it and then I tell them it was lager yeast or whatever the difference is. I think is homebrewers push the boundaries on styles because we brew to our tastes and not the BJCP standards.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Norris! said:

Man that is a really good looking colour. What was the recipe?

Maybe the brown sugar effect?

Coopers Real Ale, 1.3 kg LDME, 250 g maltodextrine, 300 g raw sugar, 15 min 25 g  mosaic,  day 4 dry 25 g centennial... basically all I had left before I placed my new order.

The sugar is mostly because the missus keeps picking the beers with raw or brown sugar as her favourite beers, plus I don't mind a strong beer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

The sugar is mostly because the missus keeps picking the beers with raw or brown sugar as her favourite beers, plus I don't mind a strong beer.

Mark, maybe you should brew her a tim tam flavoured beer.  A craft brewer was experimenting with this concept about a year ago.  Have never seen or tried it, just the sound of it puts me off.

Cheers - AL

• Haha 2

Was about to keg this Selleck PA, had a smell and taste from the fermenter and it seemed a bit off to me. Open it up and see this shit. Don't know what it is but I'm not putting it in a keg because it tastes garbage. FK. If I wanted a friggin Saison I would have brewed one. So now all I'm gonna have is ¾ of a keg of the blend. Obviously not gonna last until the next two beers are ready so I guess I'll be buying beer yet again 😡 the bloody porter better be ok, gonna check it now 

20200319_103039.jpg

• Sad 7

34 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Was about to keg this Selleck PA, had a smell and taste from the fermenter and it seemed a bit off to me. Open it up and see this shit. Don't know what it is but I'm not putting it in a keg because it tastes garbage. FK. If I wanted a friggin Saison I would have brewed one. So now all I'm gonna have is ¾ of a keg of the blend. Obviously not gonna last until the next two beers are ready so I guess I'll be buying beer yet again 😡 the bloody porter better be ok, gonna check it now 

20200319_103039.jpg

What a bugger! Can you think of anything different you did with this batch?  A process, equipment or ingredient induced infection?

Not looking forward to the day this happens to me, as no doubt it has a high probability of occurring, just hope it never does. 

Cheers - AL

Maybe I forgot the starsan on this one I dunno. Whatever the reason it's the first time it's happened to me in 8 and a bit years. I did have a cube explode a few years ago but it hadn't got to the fermenter yet. I think in that case the tap on it wasn't properly sealed and allowed something in. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

20200319_103039.jpg

Damn!  Is that lacto perhaps?   I remember years ago having something looking like this a couple of times.  I drew off most of the beer from underneath the surface scum and bottled it. It tasted OK though probably not what it was intended to be, but I don't think I knew back then what it was supposed to taste like anyway!   But it was certainly drinkable to my somewhat unrefined and uneducated taste buds at the time.  Maybe I caught it early enough?   - before it really started making it's presence felt. 

When you lose an extract batch it's more about money going down the drain, when you lose an AG batch it's the hours down the drain that hurts the most! 

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Mark, maybe you should brew her a tim tam flavoured beer.  A craft brewer was experimenting with this concept about a year ago.  Have never seen or tried it, just the sound of it puts me off.

Doesn't do a lot for me either. I've had a chocolate porter that was quite drinkable but never wanted more than a pint of it. 

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Was about to keg this Selleck PA, had a smell and taste from the fermenter and it seemed a bit off to me. Open it up and see this shit. Don't know what it is but I'm not putting it in a keg because it tastes garbage.

It looks like the bacteria mats we used to breed in Chem at school.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

20200319_103039.jpg

If i remember correctly Kelsey you have a still. Dont chuck it down the drain. Distill it and make some hand sanitizer.

• Like 1

Too late, it's gone now. As soon as I smelled it in the sample glass I poured I knew it was off. Then the taste 🤮 no way I could get through 19 litres of that crap. It's not sour, just funky. I suspect it is bacterial, but yeah that FV will get perc, hot water, bleach and whatever else I can chuck at it before I use it again. 

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

20200319_103039.jpg

Magnum hops strike again 🤣.

In all seriousness that sucks, sorry for your loss Mate.

• Haha 2

Shyte happens I guess. Brewing has kind of taken a bit of a back seat lately with getting into golf and then getting sick right around the time I was originally gonna keg these beers so that hasn't helped. 

I'll be brewing on Saturday, but I'll use the down time to get the equipment nice and clean, ready for the next two batches. The brew fridges could probably use a wipe out as well. 

• Like 2

It’s been a long time coming but I finally have annual leave. The weather has been average but today and tomorrow we are meant to have spectacular weather so we called up and found a place in Forster which is about 2 hours North. A few pale ales while cooking on my holiday BBQ and first use of the tent. I’m pretty happy and relaxed right now. 

C7FBCA7D-AA8C-4C99-B71F-28A9FF435B83.jpeg

7962BFEB-4069-437A-AA59-5B4ED45E812A.jpeg

F152B440-7A11-476F-80B3-1DB01792C5AA.jpeg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

20200319_103039.jpg

You making Carona? 😂

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Kveik IPA 5 days grain to glass

984CB5C2-FFF8-484E-8C8B-0A278EE25DC8.jpeg

I have a kveik pale ale in the fermenter and it was pretty much done in 2 days. I have  tasted the samples and they taste good but have hesitated to keg it. I am so confused by this yeast. It works fast and is clean but for some nice esters. I will keg mine tomorrow. I honestly have been holding off because everything in my head says wait! Tastes nice though.  

What flavours and aromas are you picking up from the yeast, hops and grain bill? 

55 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have a kveik pale ale in the fermenter and it was pretty much done in 2 days. I have  tasted the samples and they taste good but have hesitated to keg it. I am so confused by this yeast. It works fast and is clean but for some nice esters. I will keg mine tomorrow. I honestly have been holding off because everything in my head says wait! Tastes nice though.  

What flavours and aromas are you picking up from the yeast, hops and grain bill? 

How many times do I need to tell you...... lift ya skirt up, grab yaself by the balls and just keg it. It’s done. 

Esters: Orange, citrus, grapefruit. Such a good beer. It would rival any NEIPA. Without the oats and haziness 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2020 at 11:48 AM, Hoppy81 said:

For 27 litres in the fermenter.

4.5kg Coopers Ale

1.5kg Wheat

500g Flaked Oats

300g Rice Hulls

Hoppy Mate do you use one of those fancy whizzbang automated gadgets like Painfather or Roboburp or Goo-Ten (😋) and hafta add yer Rice Hulls to stop the bad boy bogging up?

I am a basic BIAB brewer with a SS Mesh Basket in a big fat SS vessel... and don't seem to have bogging probs... but am wondering whether I should think about using Rice Hulls in some as it might improve sparging and capture a bit more of the fermentables?

And maybe esp if I crank up the stickier stuff like more Wheat and Flaked Oats and or Rye Malt...

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, Beer Baron said:

It’s been a long time coming but I finally have annual leave. The weather has been average but today and tomorrow we are meant to have spectacular weather so we called up and found a place in Forster which is about 2 hours North. A few pale ales while cooking on my holiday BBQ and first use of the tent. I’m pretty happy and relaxed right now.

Have a great time up there Baron! The weather shoulda been pretty good I'm guessing.

When I first rapidly glanced through the photos I thought - good on 'im - he's taken the keg along... but after all it was just the gas bottle for the barbie 😋

image.png.45edc0c369dc10a825f756e1d2f1148c.png

• Haha 2