Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

11 hours ago, Gazzala said:

Hi Shamus - did you brew as per the recipe? Mostly interested in the simmering of the hops for 15 mins as I’m thinking of making this brew next but haven’t simmered hops before...

Cheers,

Gaz.

Hi Gaz

I followed almost all of the recipe.  The main difference was that I did the hop boil in 3L of water plus 300grams of Light Dry Malt instead of plain water.  Supposedly hop bitterness is converted better with a bit of malt in the mix.

And I used my own home grown, dried and frozen hops instead of bought ones and just used 21 gram bags because that is what I had.

SG samples have tasted quite bitter, but I like my beers like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Had a bit of a stuck sparge but still managed to collect 29 litres and hit my numbers. So it all points to underpitching 

Ah Well Live and Learn hey Paddy... I tink all me AG brews efficiency are crrrrapppppp but What I won't I don't get the horsies will and I really dddonnn't give a Ph FFF A  ArrrC

as the beer dats cooooomin out der oudddyer oddder end.... is pure fekkkkkkkkkkkkin Gold

Brew Up and Brew On

• Haha 2

Hop bitterness isn't converted better in wort, nor is utilisation at its optimum. The reason for boiling hops in wort instead of plain water is that the bitterness isn't harsh. The higher the SG goes above 1.000, the lower the utilisation is; 1.040 is more just a happy medium than anything else. Utilisation is still decent enough while negating harsh tones (unless you long boil something like Galaxy). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hop bitterness isn't converted better in wort, nor is utilisation at its optimum. The reason for boiling hops in wort instead of plain water is that the bitterness isn't harsh. The higher the SG goes above 1.000, the lower the utilisation is; 1.040 is more just a happy medium than anything else. Utilisation is still decent enough while negating harsh tones (unless you long boil something like Galaxy). 

Uh Oh Burbler... what have you done... doing a long boil with Galaxy ?!

Think you highlighted that to me earlier Kelsey... ah well...  I guess I will just have to see...

Cos I did the SMASH PILS with Galaxy and Weyermann Pilsener Malt - I love the aroma - so I might be in for a bit of a smack-in-the-chops with bitterness...

But there are some classic really bitter Pils in Northern Germany like JEVER (North West of Bremen) so maybe my Galaxy SMASH will still be drinkable?!

Bitter beer goes well with Herrings... 

Will have to report back ; )

20 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Uh Oh Burbler... what have you done... doing a long boil with Galaxy ?!

Think you highlighted that to me earlier Kelsey... ah well...  I guess I will just have to see...

Cos I did the SMASH PILS with Galaxy and Weyermann Pilsener Malt - I love the aroma - so I might be in for a bit of a smack-in-the-chops with bitterness...

But there are some classic really bitter Pils in Northern Germany like JEVER (North West of Bremen) so maybe my Galaxy SMASH will still be drinkable?!

Bitter beer goes well with Herrings... 

Will have to report back ; )

I think you will have a drinkable beer but it probably wont be your best mate. I did a long boil of galaxy once too in an extract boil. It was definately a harsher/ stronger bitterness not a smooth type bitterness like using magnum or warrior. But it wasn't undrinkable by any standards. 

If you went Galaxy at 30 mins and below to get the same IBUs you would get an exceptional beer.

• Like 1

Lusty actually put me off galaxy before I ever even used it. Not sure if it was banter or forum japes as it was always light hearted but I wasn’t well versed enough to know one way or the other. I’m still not really but I gave it a go in my last brew and hopefully she turns out ok 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I think you will have a drinkable beer but it probably wont be your best mate. I did a long boil of galaxy once too in an extract boil. It was definately a harsher/ stronger bitterness not a smooth type bitterness like using magnum or warrior. But it wasn't undrinkable by any standards. 

If you went Galaxy at 30 mins and below to get the same IBUs you would get an exceptional beer.

Thanks Greeny!

Well I think it will be interesting to see - have you guys drunk Jever?  Jever with Herringe-Hausfrauenart (Pickled herrings with sour cream, gherkins, fresh onion, and tart apple and let that chopped come together), is just beautiful. 

Few years since that time so I might also be doing the 'yer dreamin' on this one too.... have not had a Jever for a long while... the Herrings... oh yeah.

Your point Greeny about smooth bitterness using Magnum or Warrior - that is definitely something I need to investigate - thanks for that.

I really like the Galaxy aroma - and the brewing aromas coming off the SMASH FV have been really really nice.

But I guess we can all get too much of a good thing... so I will just have to see how it all turns out.

Really appreciate your feedback Brewers and will get back to you all when it is done... still in the FV at the moment at 18 deg C doing the Di-Acetyl Rest.

Cheers

BB

• Like 1

I used Galaxy in an APA and at first (3 weeks in the bottle) the bitterness was horrible (and I like bitter beers) - but now (2.5 months in the bottle) it is a cracking beer.

It was only a 9 litre brew and I really wish I’d saved more of it - I only have a couple of bottles left.

Anyway - I think the moral of the story is - if it tastes bad, leave it for a couple months and it’ll probably turn out OK.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Lusty actually put me off galaxy before I ever even used it. Not sure if it was banter or forum japes as it was always light hearted but I wasn’t well versed enough to know one way or the other. I’m still not really but I gave it a go in my last brew and hopefully she turns out ok 

Galaxy is a terrific & unique hop.

Just don't boil it for long periods in thin gravity worts.

Lusty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Haha $hit. I meant magnum. I’m all over the place today 

Then I stand by my comments about that 02 sucking, useless, drab, most uninteresting piece of crap of hop.

I hope I've dispelled any confusion you may have had between the two. 😉

Lusty.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks Greeny!

Well I think it will be interesting to see - have you guys drunk Jever?  Jever with Herringe-Hausfrauenart (Pickled herrings with sour cream, gherkins, fresh onion, and tart apple and let that chopped come together), is just beautiful. 

Few years since that time so I might also be doing the 'yer dreamin' on this one too.... have not had a Jever for a long while... the Herrings... oh yeah.

Your point Greeny about smooth bitterness using Magnum or Warrior - that is definitely something I need to investigate - thanks for that.

I really like the Galaxy aroma - and the brewing aromas coming off the SMASH FV have been really really nice.

But I guess we can all get too much of a good thing... so I will just have to see how it all turns out.

Really appreciate your feedback Brewers and will get back to you all when it is done... still in the FV at the moment at 18 deg C doing the Di-Acetyl Rest.

Cheers

BB

Mate galaxy is still my most used hop. In combo with others its the shit. Im not a massive fan of it by itself but in combos its great.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Mate galaxy is still my most used hop. In combo with others its the shit. Im not a massive fan of it by itself but in combos its great.

I just finished a keg of a Galaxy and Cascade Pale Ale. A great combo.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Then I stand by my comments about that 02 sucking, useless, drab, most uninteresting piece of crap of hop.

I hope I've dispelled any confusion you may have had between the two. 😉

Lusty.

WOW.  GEEZE LOUISE.  GLAD WE CLEARED THAT ONE UP PADDY AND LUSTY.

Phew.

Right.

MAGNUM is definitely OUT OUT OUT

Had me worried there for a  minute Paddy ; )

Well Brewers I am glad you have backed Galaxy - and I shall report back on the terrors of a long boil that now is not able to be changed.... and if in the bottle it turns out too hard core - then will do as Gazz suggests and park it up for a good few months and see if things improve.

And I look forward to trying some Galaxy combos - Galaxy Cascade (Hairy) and Galaxy Mosaic (Cpn) - fruity friends suggestions? - and any suggestions Greeny for a companion for Galaxy?

And will aim to utilise Galaxy at 30 minutes or less Greeny.

Thanks Brewers. All good inf. BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler

My new hop pale ale is in the fermenter but I just realised I have an awesome problem. Since increasing to have 2 more taps for a total of 4 I just realised that I only have 3 kegs and they are all full. 

Now I will need to buy another small keg and another few items while I’m there. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beer Baron said:

My new hop pale ale is in the fermenter but I just realised I have an awesome problem. Since increasing to have 2 more taps for a total of 4 I just realised that I only have 3 kegs and they are all full. 

Now I will need to buy another small keg and another few items while I’m there. 

Not too bad a problem to have BB1.... requiring an expansion from 3-4 kegs!

Hopefully you can find a small keg supplier forthwith to resolve!  ; )

Cheers BB2

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Not too bad a problem to have BB1.... requiring an expansion from 3-4 kegs!

Hopefully you can find a small keg supplier forthwith to resolve!  ; )

Cheers BB2

I’ll just get it from KegLand. I will also get 4 tap decal holders, a SS flow control disconnect for my camping keg setup and the Grainfather conversion kit. 

Just a couple of things😂

• Haha 2

So the Galaxy Smash is lookin ok re gravity... the bitterness factor is yet to be determined... 

Haven't got a GC-MS in me shed (Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer) to assist - so will just have to have a slurp once done to analyse.... 😝

image.png.fef4ed4b139048600ca44baaf2809abc.png

• Like 1

Just now, Bearded Burbler said:

So the Galaxy Smash is lookin ok re gravity... the bitterness factor is yet to be determined... 

Haven't got a GC-MS in me shed (Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer) to assist - so will just have to have a slurp once done to analyse.... 😝

image.png.fef4ed4b139048600ca44baaf2809abc.png

I've only used Galaxy as a dry hop in kit beers. Everyone says it can be harsh if boiled too long. Let us know how it turns out. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

I've only used Galaxy as a dry hop in kit beers. Everyone says it can be harsh if boiled too long. Let us know how it turns out. 

Cheers HH - got it in one - yeah I did a long boil... so will hafa see how it turns out.  A quick taste on the SG sample suggests it is quite bitter... but we will hafta see how it turns out with the secondary ferment and a few schpritzigs thrown in ; )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I dunno, it's hard to read a hydrometer from above it 😜

If reading to the top of the meniscus (The curved upper surface of a nonturbulent liquid in a container that is concave if the liquid wets the container walls and convex if it does not 🤔 a bit easier to see on the oblique from above?

Do you think better to line up directly on the level Kelsey or?   

Or do you have one of those fancy digital refractometers... or even better one of these ?     ; )

image.png.668b51889081e444e16a1945bc283057.png