Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

31 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nonnnnnnsense.  'Tis a partial.  Pick up yer sacks, grind and make an AG.

Oooh look!   the AG Police have been triggered!  

Sorry Officer  - it's AG.   Arrest me if it bothers you so much! 

AG_cop.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ideally - we grow our yeast cool and then pitch into warmer?  or same temp?

I thought you or Palmer or someone told me that I should not grow the yeast warm and pitch into cool?

I don't care what temp it grows at, it gets chilled for two days before pitching and most of the "beer" is decanted. Then it's just pitched cold straight into the wort. The starter just sits on the kitchen bench, so the temps vary with the seasons. Doesn't make any difference to the beer.

It's pitching yeast that's warm into wort that is at a temperature too far below that of the yeast that's poor practice and can potentially cause problems with the health of the yeast, like pitching 30 degree yeast into wort sitting at 10 or something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's pitching yeast that's warm into wort that is at a temperature too far below that of the yeast that's poor practice and can potentially cause problems with the health of the yeast, like pitching 30 degree yeast into wort sitting at 10 or something. 

Thanks for that - good stuff.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:51 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Wondering if my duvel clone of 5kgs pilsner malt and a kilo of dextrose is AG?. Hmmm

Aaah Greeny you are the King of the Belgians... and I have appreciated your assistance through 2019 - thanks.

I prefer to brew my beer from the grain sacks and have had what I consider surprisingly great outcomes since jumping across to AG - thanks to all those on this site who have helped!

If the rule is 15% (not my rule) then I guess in this case as Dex is 1 kilo out of 6 and at 16.67 % by weight non-grain fermentables then it would be deemed a partial.  Not my rule.

At the end of the day I suspect it does not matter what it is called but what it tastes like and if the brewer and brewer's "clients" enjoy it!?!