Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

This type of illusion must have been the basis for much of the perceived flight scenes in the first 3 Star Wars films that began back in the late 1970's.

They certainly fooled me back then. That said, I was just a child & didn't have the vision from a drunk's perspective as I do now!

Haha!

Lusty.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

This type of illusion must have been the basis for much of the perceived flight scenes in the first 3 Star Wars films that began back in the late 1970's.

They certainly fooled me back then. That said, I was just a child & didn't have the vision from a drunk's perspective as I do now!

Haha!

Lusty.

Correct.

But you will need a tray to proceed.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 5

Did what is becoming my old faithful house brew yesterday:

Citra Chinook Mosaic IPA

Brewed Friday 2/8/19 11am
24 litres 
OG 1.061
Predicted FG 1.014
Nottingham starter 1.5L
IBU 51

Coopers Lager can 
Coopers LLME can
600g LDME
250g Wheat DME
250g White Sugar 
300g Caramunich II cold steeped overnight in 2.5L of water in fridge

HOPS
Citra 25g 10min
Chinook 25g 10min
Citra 25g 5min
Mosaic 25g 5min
Chinook 25g 5min

Dry hop day 5
Citra 40g
Chinook 40
Mosaic 20

Love Citra and Mosaic together, the Chinook gives it a bit of a twist that I like as well!

Cheers

James

• Like 6

10 hours ago, James Lao said:

Did what is becoming my old faithful house brew yesterday:

Citra Chinook Mosaic IPA

Brewed Friday 2/8/19 11am
24 litres 
OG 1.061
Predicted FG 1.014
Nottingham starter 1.5L
IBU 51

Coopers Lager can 
Coopers LLME can
600g LDME
250g Wheat DME
250g White Sugar 
300g Caramunich II cold steeped overnight in 2.5L of water in fridge

HOPS
Citra 25g 10min
Chinook 25g 10min
Citra 25g 5min
Mosaic 25g 5min
Chinook 25g 5min

Dry hop day 5
Citra 40g
Chinook 40
Mosaic 20

Love Citra and Mosaic together, the Chinook gives it a bit of a twist that I like as well!

Cheers

James

Nice recipe James. I have been using a lot of Mosaic and Citra also, usually with azacca but I can see how the Chinook would be a great addition.  What is the saying....luverywurk!

• Thanks 1

Hey Norris,

I tried Deschutes Fresh Squeezed on tap in Bangkok last year and loved it!

I have liked Citra and Mosaic as a combo for ages , but this was the first known commercial beer with them in it.

it is available here now but I remember it being better on tap.

Anyway I think Citra  and Mosaic is a match made in craft beer heaven!

Bloody love it!!

And to think 5 years ago I thought American beer was all about Millers  and the like!!

Now I want to visit the States to try their beers!!

Am even taking an interest in the NBA  and Baseball now!!

Viva la craft beer revolution!!

Cheers

James

• Like 3

Brewed up an Oatmeal Stout in the Grainfather today.

• 3.5kg Maris Otter
  • 350g Roasted Barley
  • 350g Quick Oats
  • 270g Biscuit Malt
  • 170g Dark Crystal
  • 50g Bramling Cross hops 60 minute boil
  • 1 teaspoon Irish Moss 10 minute boil
  • 50g Bramling Cross hops 20 hop stand
  • 300ml of Nottingham slurry that I harvested from the SMOTY Ale brew I bottled last night

Doing something wrong though.  Do not know if it is my recipe or an issue with the current Grainfather software (I have heard it has had issues for a while now).  Should have produced 18L of wort at OG 1.051, ended up with 15.4L at OG 1.070.  I must be getting more losses, especially in the boil, than the software predicts.  I will have to do more research.  Decided to add 6.16L of water to get me to 21.56L at 1.050.  

whats your mash in volume and your pre boil volume?

i mash in with 20 litres

sparge with about 14 litres

get to the 29 litre mark pre boil

lose 4 litres during the boil

with trub losses , i get about 19/20 litres into the fermenter

Edited by PaddyBrew2

Hey @PaddyBrew2

This was a grain bill I bought from a fellow brewer.  It was meant to be an 18L batch in the fermenter.

GF software says Mash in 16L; Sparge with 10.7L.  I have left the defaults in the software as they were, I assume GF would get their own equipment data correct?  Glanced at my pre-boil volume, think it was around 20.5L.  The sparge did take ages, I did it manually with a jug.  GF heats wort to around 97 degrees during sparge.  I might have had some losses during that time, not boiling, but plenty of vapour.

Looking at your numbers, if I upped the mash and sparge by about 4L for each, I would get to a similar outcome to you.

Cheers Shamus

there are so many variables to this all grain brewing, its frightening. ive learned that sea level and boiling points have an impact.

ive only done 3 all grain brews but so far so good in terms of efficiency and  volumes. Mash in with 20 litres. Sparge until i collect 29 litres and then boil knowing i'll lose 4 and a bit in an hour. 

im pretty fresh faced in this journey, but if youre getting an OG of 1.070 from that grain bill , it would point to your water volumes  being on the low side

43 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Doing something wrong though.  Do not know if it is my recipe or an issue with the current Grainfather software (I have heard it has had issues for a while now).  Should have produced 18L of wort at OG 1.051, ended up with 15.4L at OG 1.070.  I must be getting more losses, especially in the boil, than the software predicts.  I will have to do more research.  Decided to add 6.16L of water to get me to 21.56L at 1.050.  

There’s definitely an issue with that piece of s$&t software. I do all of my recipes on Brewfather now and then transfer them to the Grainfather on brewing day

My first AG GF brew was a bit of a bummer due to the boiling temperature issue.  I am around 200m above sea level.  The wort was boiling away furiously at 98-99, but because it had not reached 100, the software did not register that boil temperature was reached.

I have done a couple of "dry" runs, just water without grains,  at our height, water boils around 98 degrees.  Got there today and in that respect the software worked okay.

Like you I am a complete newby in this space.  The Oatmeal Stout was just my second GF AG.  I did a two pot AG previously that went well.

• Like 1

I grew up on cricket, tried watching baseball but I was bored shitless. People think nothing happens in cricket... bloody 95% of the time in baseball they just stand there and watch the ball fly past. Having played and watched both games, I find cricket a lot more tactical which I find most interesting, plus the endurance required to run in and bowl all day or the concentration and mental toughness required to bat for long periods. 

I liken baseball to something like Budweiser or Miller, while cricket is more interesting like a decent craft beer 😜😂

• Like 4