Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

20 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I’d be interested to hear if there is a significant move in gravity after the second dry hop at 9g/L. Good stuff John

I'm going to let it settle for a little while after removing the second dry hop, just to let any diacetyl and hop creep sort itself out. Will probably lose a bit of aroma in that time but it's the lesser of 2 evils IMO. Hence having to start with plenty of aroma! 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

Rainy days = 2 consecutive brew days = full FVs! Finally got a lager down due to the cold weather. Bring on that sulphur smell.

FV1: (in the fridge) English bitter can with some magnum for extra punch and CCA yeast.

FV2: (ambient shed) 1st Borough Lager that I'm gonna dry hop with Amarillo and Chinook.

Walked into the shed tonight and was hit with a whole dozen rotten eggs. Miss brewing with W34/70...

CCA has annihilated the English bitter in about 5 days! Will take an SG tomorrow and probs turn up the heat a few.

• Like 1

Dry hop number 2 went in to my Black DIPL last night, another 60g Simcoe, 30g Motueka and 10g Bravo. The fermenter smelled like the most fantastic bag of Allen's gummi snakes when I opened it to remove the first dry hop.

If I was going to DDH a lot I would grab a second hop tube. Would make it easier than removing, cleaning, sanitising, refilling and readding in the one go. But not something I imagine I'll be doing too often. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

Last night I removed the second dry hop from my Black DIPL. I had a sip of the gravity sample to see how its travelling. It's down to 1.020 and I'm not sure it will get any lower with the high OG, mostly extract based wort composition. Has decent body, but a nice dryness and then you hit a wall of beautiful, intense hop flavour.

I'll give it a few days to sort itself out post dry hops, then see if it's ready to bottle. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

Too busy yesterday, so today I pitched my brown/dark ale. Ended up with the target 25 litres, and OG was 1.0455, also on target. Pitching temperature is about 16 degrees thanks to the single figure overnight temps lately. If it doesn't warm up close to the 18.5 degree ferment temp by tonight, I'll get the flask of boiling water in there to keep it from dropping too much overnight. By tomorrow it'll be fine with the fermentation generating heat for a few days. 

This will be the last of the dark beers for the year, as by the time this one is emptied it'll be getting towards spring and some welcome warmer weather. 

4 hours ago, Popo said:

Just poured in a cube of a Mosaic Pilsner SMASH. Fermenting with US05 @ 18. 

OG 1.063. IBUs are just a touch under at 57 on Beersmith but I find my beers are usually a touch more bitter than I'm expecting so gave myself a small margin to play with.

I pitch 2 packets for anything over 1.060 for a 23L batch. 

Did you use 2??

Galaxy and simcoe pale ale happily fermenting away at 18 degrees. 

I’ll be doing a brew day on the same day this will go into the keg so the new beer can go into the fermenter straight away. 

The next beer will be a small batch pale ale with an experimental hop the my home brew guy has in stock. For the moment it’s called Hort 4377 and this is the description. 

Intense tropical fruit and citrus aroma characters evident during selection. Over successive commercial brewing trials in styles such as Strong Pale Ales and India Pale Ales Hort 4337 has displayed high levels of tropical fruit characters of pineapple and passionfruit as well as stone fruit (peach) and citrus (grapefruit) AA 9.5. 

Why not give it a go!!

1C89D5FF-CF90-4BBE-87A4-0DCEE24C2B66.png

• Like 1

Had to rinse out the flask last night and boil up some water in it, and with SWMBO watching one of those trashy cosmetic surgery shows, it provided the perfect opportunity 😂. Brew temp hadn't changed much by the time I got home so I figured it needed a bit of help. 3ish litres of boiling water into the fridge and as of just now it's up to 17.9 degrees. Shouldn't need the boiling water again until it's time to bump it up near the end.

• Like 1

Just 'dry hopped' my Oatmeal Stout with 250 gms of lightly toasted coconut, just for $hit and giggles. Took a reading and shes at 1.020. BS says she will finish on 1.012, she's  been fermenting 4 days now so have ramped her up to 20 to finish it off

the sample tasted glorious, chocolate, coffee and now coconut (hopefully)

Edited by PaddyBrew2
  • Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, porschemad911 said:

Dry hop number 2 went in to my Black DIPL last night, another 60g Simcoe, 30g Motueka and 10g Bravo. The fermenter smelled like the most fantastic bag of Allen's gummi snakes when I opened it to remove the first dry hop.

If I was going to DDH a lot I would grab a second hop tube. Would make it easier than removing, cleaning, sanitising, refilling and readding in the one go. But not something I imagine I'll be doing too often. 

Geeeeeze Louise John you have all the good gear !?! 👍

I have not done the dry hop thing so I reckon this Hop Tube would be a great bit of kit for such advanced practices ?😜

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, Beerlust said:

🤣 Your house would reek of rotten eggs with all the lagers you do, no wonder you brew & ferment outside. 😜

Hey Lusty... and all yee brewers... thing is that it seems to me - with small AG experience - that some lager brews smell worse than others... I am doing a Galaxy Smash Pils with a fresh W34/70 Starter and it has smelled very good the whole way through (maybe the grunt of the Galaxy hops taking over?).  I have done another Lager a little earlier - not many days apart - a lighter (Aldi) Trivet AG clone attempt - not very different malt bill - BUT using a W34/70 slurry pitched and it smelled quite rough to start with and only more recently has settled down.... As Julius Sumner Miller asks... 'Why is it so?'

Professor Palmer notes in How to Brew the importance of the Boil to accomplish reduction or elimination of volatiles that cause off-flavours, to coagulate proteins and to isomerize hop alpha acids... funny thing was that the Galaxy Smash (read the brew that smelled good) experienced a shorter boil than the Trivet Clone.

Ah well... I guess that Sulphur is an essential element component of the amino acids that contribute to making up plant proteins and that these may be being metabolised by the lager yeasts in a different way to ale yeasts and sometimes we are getting some cracking sulphurous odours coming off our brews?

image.png.47eddfaf47b93a0b03c5299fd2a63a3a.png

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, elLachlano said:

Walked into the shed tonight and was hit with a whole dozen rotten eggs. Miss brewing with W34/70...

CCA has annihilated the English bitter in about 5 days! Will take an SG tomorrow and probs turn up the heat a few.

So the CCA is generating some rotten eggs?  Here I thought it was the domain of Lager Yeasts?  Live and learn...

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:18 AM, Popo said:

IMG20190623092736.thumb.jpg.f917e30ad910dcda05983dc2d03c9d73.jpg

A split batch of @Ben 10's Pacific Ale. It's very popular mate! 

Top fermenter with US05, bottom one with K97 just to have a little play and compare. I also moved a portion of the flameout hops into the cube this time to see how it changes. 

Popo - how tall/high is that bottom vat - am chasing a smaller/lower height vat to fit into a brewfridge configuration... 

Is it less than 38cm tall?  And if so - wherejagettit?

Thanks mate. BB

41 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Popo - how tall/high is that bottom vat - am chasing a smaller/lower height vat to fit into a brewfridge configuration... 

Is it less than 38cm tall?  And if so - wherejagettit?

Thanks mate. BB

Just on 30cm, mate. Maybe a touch over. With cling wrap instead of the lid, a couple cm less. 

I picked this one up instore from Country Brewer but it doesn't look like the one currently on their website.

IMG20190721122051.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Just on 30cm, mate. Maybe a touch over. With cling wrap instead of the lid, a couple cm less. 

I picked this one up instore from Country Brewer but it doesn't look like the one currently on their website.

IMG20190721122051.jpg

What a little beauty! 

Thanks so much for sending such a nice clear picture for me Popo... I reckon it might be just the ticket!?! for my cramped space.

How many litres do you get in?

And can you fit a bubbler to it?

No worries.

It can take up to 15. I've only used it for batches up to 11 or 12 and it's been fine. I use it regularly to split batches and ferment the rest on the bigger one.

Yeah, this one has a hole in the lid for an airlock.

The only negative to it is that it has a little step in at about the 3 or 4 litre mark and the trub settles there as well as on the bottom. It's not too much of a problem but does lead to a bit making it into the mix when draining below that level. I'm happy with it but would look for something with straight sides from top to bottom. It's not something I though that of until I used it the first time.

Edited by Popo
  • Like 1

SMOTY Ale

Added 300g of LDM to the hop boil to improve hop utilisation.

The Goldings I used were from my own back yard.  So Belgrave South Goldings?

• 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
  • 1.7kg Dark Ale
  • 300g Light Dry Malt
  • 21g Belgrave South Goldings 15 min boil
  • 21g Belgrave South Goldings 30min steep
  • 300ml Nottingham Slurry

3L Hop Boil with 300g LDM

Made up to 25L instead of 23L for lower ABV

OG 1.048

Dry hop planned with another bag of 21g Belgrave South Goldings

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Popo said:

It's not something I though that of until I used it the first time.

All really helpful Popo - thanks mate!

I will look into it further.  Given that vessels' perfect size for my situation I think I would put up with that troublesome ledge... will see what I can find.

Thank you!

BB