Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

My pilsner is sitting around 1.012-13 at the moment and I'm pretty sure it's done I'll check it again on Tuesday to confirm though. Tasting reasonable for where it's at. 

Forgot to reboil the flask of water last night, got down to 5 degrees out there but the brew only dropped to 16.5. Got it boiled and back in there now to get it back to 18, will have to remember to boil it again tonight and keep it up over the next few days before the lagering starts. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

OG would be 1.038 or so with those ingredients. It's a kit and kilo of added fermentables. I don't think a 30 minute boil was necessary though, 10-15 minutes would have been better for hop flavour. Hopefully it doesn't make it too bitter. 

I wouldn't write off the SMOTY ale. It was one of my early brews and it turned out really well. Definitely recommend it. 

I definitely haven't written off the SMOTY but as you pointed out I may have overdone the hops in this brew. If I've messed this one up at least I've only wasted 1 tin as opposed to two in the SMOTY recipe.

I imagined the lower OG was attributable to the use of more dex than malty gear.

Edited by MUZZY

@Otto Von Blotto

My Bav Pilsner hit 1014 after 3 weeks in the FV and stopped so the bottle stuff has commenced. 

Plus I wanted my brew fridge back.

Given local temp is not likely to exceed 12C the bottles are boxed and in the shed doing the 2nd ferm. Lagering??

The taste test was great, colour for an expired Tin and the floc was perfect for stage 1.

Now another wait!! Two months for 30 bottles on Pilsner better be better than excellent!!

43 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I imagined the lower OG was attributable to the use of more dex than malty gear.

Dextrose gives pretty much the same SG per gram as dry malt. At the end of the day it's all sugar of some sort. It either wasn't dissolved properly or your hydrometer is reading low. 😎

43 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

@Otto Von Blotto

My Bav Pilsner hit 1014 after 3 weeks in the FV and stopped so the bottle stuff has commenced. 

Plus I wanted my brew fridge back.

Given local temp is not likely to exceed 12C the bottles are boxed and in the shed doing the 2nd ferm. Lagering??

The taste test was great, colour for an expired Tin and the floc was perfect for stage 1.

Now another wait!! Two months for 30 bottles on Pilsner better be better than excellent!!

Lagering is usually done around zero to 4 degrees, but of course they should be allowed to carbonate first being in bottles. They will get there at 12 being a lager yeast, it'll probably just take a little longer than if they were at 18+. However, if they're being stashed for a couple of months they'll certainly be carbonated by that stage. 

Mine usually finish somewhere between 1.010 and 1.014, it just depends on what the mash temp was on brew day. I normally use a 63 degree and 72 degree rest. The first one lasts about 40 minutes. However, I'm finding they're finishing more towards the higher end of that range since I started using 2278 yeast, so perhaps it doesn't attenuate as much as the others I've used. I might extend the 63 degree mash rest next time I brew it, maybe 50 minutes, to see if it'll drop down more around 1.010. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Dextrose gives pretty much the same SG per gram as dry malt. At the end of the day it's all sugar of some sort. It either wasn't dissolved properly or your hydrometer is reading low. 😎

I'd say it was the sugar not being dissolved properly. I've got a glass hydrometer and it reads 1.000 in water.

• Like 1

East Kent English Bitter

Put this one down today.

• 1.7kg English Bitter
  • 1kg Light Dry Malt
  • 100g Carapils Grains 45min hot steep
  • 10g EKG 18min boil
  • 10g EKG 12min boil
  • 10g EKG 6min boil

Boil was 4L including 2L of the steeped grains plus 380g of the LDM.

Used a Nottingham yeast I harvested from slurry in early May.  Was from the Bilby Chocolate Porter.  Did a Shaken Not Stirred starter with this yeast the night before as suggested by @Norris!.  I was a little bit underwhelmed by the outcome with this starter.  I was expecting froth and bubbles and high krausen in the jar.  But just had bubbles on the surface.  Temperature may have been an issue with the starter.  Not over 20°C for the whole time.  The proof will be in the finish beer though.

I was going to do this brew on Saturday until Norris suggested the starter to improve the viability of the yeast.

PS This arrived during the week.  Christmas in June.  Actually the wife says it counts as my Father's Day, Birthday and Christmas pressie for the next two years.

Saturday brew day freed-up let me run it through the cleaning-before-using process.  I am planning a Little Creatures Pale Ale clone next weekend.

IMG_1215.thumb.JPG.6fb7e2e6a672c4762ef85cb210d6df20.JPG

• Like 14

Nice set up Shamus!

I hope the starter works right, it is an extra step but it should be worth it. I Have done that method a few times and I like the results, but I only do it if the yeast has been sitting for a while.

10 hours ago, Gazzala said:

Shamus - I’m looking for a good recipe to use my can of EB and I have some EKG hops so very interested to know how your brew goes.

Are you doing a dry hop?

Hi Gaz

No I am not planning a dry hop for this one.  I wanted to see what I get out of the boil addition only.  Plus, 30g was all of the EKG I had left.

A couple of the Coopers recipes with the EB can have dry hops in them.  It would probably go well in this beer.

Cheers Shamus

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Actually the wife says it counts as my Father's Day, Birthday and Christmas pressie for the next two years.

Should keep you out of mischief for the next two years?

Lucky Lad. Good recipe  choice too.

• Like 1

Tai-iti Gold

• 1.7kg Coopers OS Lager
  • 2.0kg GF Pilsner Malt
  • 200g GF Wheat Malt
  • 200g GF Toffee Malt
  • 25g Taiheke Hops @ 15mins
  • 25g Wai-iti Hops @ 2mins 
  • 10g Gypsum
  • MJ M36 Liberty Bell Yeast

| OG=1.044 | EBC=7.8 | IBU=27 | ABV=4.8% |

• Like 1

Second FG test on my pilsner confirms my thoughts on Sunday that it's done. If anything it might have dropped half a point to 1.012 so I'm just calling it that and done. Tomorrow I'll drop it to 12, then a couple of degrees or so per day down to 3, where it'll sit two weeks before kegging. 

Hi all,

Put this one in the FV yesterday, used the Simcoe I found in the freezer

Citra Simcoe Mosaic IPA

Brewed Tuesday 25/6/19 11am
24 litres 
OG 1.061
Predicted FG 1.014
Nottingham starter 1.5L
IBU 51

Coopers Lager can 
Coopers LLME can
600g LDME
250g Wheat DME
250g White Sugar 
300g Caramunich II cold steeped overnight in 2.5L of water in fridge

HOPS
Citra 25g 10min
Simcoe 25g 10min
Citra 25g 5min
Mosaic 25g 5min
Simcoe 25g 5min

Dry hop day 5
Citra 40g
Simcoe 40g
Mosaic 20g

Can’t wait to taste it. The Simcoe smelt delish when I cut open the vacuum seal bag.

Cheers 

James

• Like 3

Tested the Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter this morning, she's sitting just above 1.030, so still got a little to go. just upped the temp a little to try rouse it some more. It should get to around 1.024. Ill test again tomorrow to see how this is getting on.  Sample tastes pretty bloody awesome and quite attenuated. So maybe it won't get much lower than that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Looks like the first few bottles might have some sediment 🤣

One of my fermenters (maybe the same one?) has the same issue... tap is actually situated too low and the cake often ends up at tap level.  I now chock this FV up at the front with a block of wood, tipping it backwards so that the cake then tends then to build up more toward the back of the fermenter while the front of the sediment layer then sits {hopefully} below the tap.   🤓

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

Mine does similar although not that high up usually. I suppose I'm at a bit of an advantage with kegs; I usually pour a couple of schooners out with the tap on full bore to clear the immediate area of sediment, then pour a third at about the speed I fill the keg which I drink as a taste test. The FV is then left to rest for 5-10 minutes while I prep the keg. No sediment in the glass because the flow speed isn't high enough to disturb it, which means barely any gets into the keg. 

If you are bulk priming in a separate vessel you could do the same sort of thing to reduce sediment in the bottles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I now chock this FV up at the front with a block of wood, tipping it backwards so that the cake then tends then to build up more toward the back of the fermenter while the front of the sediment layer then sits {hopefully} below the tap.   🤓

Bloody good idea mate. I’ll do this next time although this time round is rather excessive for some reason. It’s never been like that before.