Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

1 hour ago, Lab Rat said:

You could try packing the sides and filling empty space with foam or polystyrene. Then the Fridge doesn't nee to work as hard to get down to and maintain a temperature.

Ta. I'll give it a try!

15 hours ago, Spudley said:

Took a reading today ,sneaky sample as I'm sure everybody does

I think I am the only person who doesn’t but I probably should in case of infections and off flavours etc 

• Like 1

Just took the 3 days post pitch SG sample, bit of a slow fermentation this time around only sitting at about 1.036. Gonna just bump the temp up to 21 now to get it going. Should get up there in the next 12 hours or so. 

I didn't add oxygen to this batch as I still haven't replaced the empty cylinder so that may be having some effect, it's the only process difference from every other batch other than leaving the starter in the fridge for 4 days instead of 1 or 2. Usually they'd be under 1.025 by now. 

I'll leave the sample on the bar to monitor it. Inside the house usually doesn't go below 17-18 overnight even if it gets down to 10 or below outside, so it'll keep chugging along. Also handy for yeast starters since the heating function in my stir plate crapped itself and we couldn't fix it. That said, we haven't had a real low overnight temp here yet, Friday is meant to be 4 degrees.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Whacked the rosella wort in the FV yesterday with The Kviek yeast. No signs of activity 15 hours later. A little disappointed but will have to pitch something else today’

Did you use rosella flowers?  If so how much for how many litres?

4 minutes ago, Alpaca Brew said:

Did you use rosella flowers?  If so how much for how many litres?

Yep certainly did. Unfortunately I didn’t weight the petals (only petals, not whole flowers) but it was a extra large zip lock bag full for 25l. Frozen then thawed. It completely filled a hop spider, I had to wait a little for the heat to cook the flowers before adding more. 

Next year I’ll put about twice that in

Edited by The Captain!!

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Yep certainly did. Unfortunately I didn’t weight the petals (only petals, not whole flowers) but it was a extra large zip lock bag full for 25l. Frozen then thawed. It completely filled a hop spider, I had to wait a little for the heat to cook the flowers before adding more. 

Next year I’ll put about twice that in

Post a photo when it's ready.  I am going to use a hibiscus concentrate since it is not really something you find up here in the mountains.   

19 minutes ago, GolGolPistola said:

Like you Lusty I just opened my FV chucked in 25g of beautiful fresh Cascade hops consisting mainly of buds. Looked gorgeous but hesitate the urge to take a picture. Blew it a kiss and closed the lid.

I'm hearin' ya. It's a very emotional moment for me everytime I do it! 

After adding the hops & closing the lid a calming, warm, fuzzy feeling comes over me as the thought of the transformation through my beer hits me. Ahhh...Butterfly theory. Grub into pupa into butterfly.

It's sometime shortly after that thought process & the enjoyment period of it where I snap out of the trance-like, day-dreaming state I'm in & realise where I'm standing & again take interest in the real world & people that may be near by attempting to communicate with me. 

A short, brief moment in time resembling a form of meditation. Ahhhh... 

Keep that to yourself though or people might think I'm weird. 😉

😁

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alpaca Brew said:

Post a photo when it's ready.  I am going to use a hibiscus concentrate since it is not really something you find up here in the mountains.   

Probably the best outcome if you can’t grow your own.

will post a photo for sure even though how disappointed I will be with it

On 5/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, Beer Baron said:

My Black IPA is down to 1.020 so I dry hopped it today. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days now and has dropped very very slowly. FG target is 1.016 so I’m almost there. M44 is the first yeast to go on my ‘Never Again’ list. 

How did this pan out? I used M44 on current Brew, no problem so far. I’ve not tried the beer but went from 1.052 to 1.010 no worries. Lag time was 18 hours and full ferment in 9 days. 

And now now there is nothing in my fermenter....

Edited by Potatoes
  • Sad 1

The krausen had dropped on my MOTB batch. I guess I should take a gravity reading to see if it is going well or has stalled at an SG number that will see me sending the good folks at Coopers a liquid hand grenade. And to see if it tastes any good I guess. 

My other little 5l batch in my spare jerry is fermenting well. I ran some numbers and looks like it is starting out at around 1.050 OG, 55 IBU and 9 EBC. With a 5g/l flameout addition it should be a nice hoppy pilsner.

I'm not planning on dry hopping either of these so will be missing out on the moment of euphoria and zen that @Beerlust speaks of. For now... My upcoming Aramis pils will give me another taste. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I just finished adding some post fermentation finings to my MOTB entry beer.

I then apologised to it & re-fitted the lid.

Lusty.

Don’t worry, it will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Potatoes said:

How did this pan out? I used M44 on current Brew, no problem so far. I’ve not tried the beer but went from 1.052 to 1.010 no worries. Lag time was 18 hours and full ferment in 9 days. 

And now now there is nothing in my fermenter....

1.020 was the lowest it got down to. It’s in the keg ready to sample tomorrow 

• Like 1

Been getting fair bit of pressure from the rest of the household to brew more light, easy drinking swills.  So, today...  a very simple kit and bits brew...  Cerveza kit + 1.5LME and left over Nelson and Motueka hops.  The wort went straight on top of the slurry of the M54-fermented Pilsner I just bottled!   😎   

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Been getting fair bit of pressure from the rest of the household to brew more light, easy drinking swills. 

We have a rule in our household : cook to please yourself, but make enough for everybody. I think that could extend to brew to please yourself, but make enough for everybody.

• Like 4

My fermenter has the second half of the London Brown A/G batch I did. Brew day (night) went great and hit the numbers spot on this time.  Found 200g of Biscuit malt from a brew a few months ago in the freezer so pegged them in there too. No chill cubed it and dropped it in the fermenter last night and pitched a new pack of SO4. Note to self - need to get a starter kit.

Had a taster from the first one which was very nice, much like a mild porter, so looking forward to trying this one in a few weeks and drinking the first batch as it gets a bit older.

Next up, the MOTB brew!

On 5/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, Instigator said:

I think that could extend to brew to please yourself, but make enough for everybody.

I’m the only person in my house who drinks my beer so it’s win win for me ha ha😂

• Like 3

On 5/29/2019 at 7:29 PM, BlackSands said:

Been getting fair bit of pressure from the rest of the household to brew more light, easy drinking swills.  So, today...  a very simple kit and bits brew...  Cerveza kit + 1.5LME and left over Nelson and Motueka hops.  The wort went straight on top of the slurry of the M54-fermented Pilsner I just bottled!   😎   

Down to 1.014 already.  It's been sitting on exactly 18.2ºC for the last two days without budging even 0.1º .   Must have hit a perfect equilibrium between exothermic energy and controlled environment.   Sample tasted embarrassingly good.  I'd be very annoyed if this very simple K&K plus hops turned out to be a great beer!  😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I'd be very annoyed if this very simple K&K plus hops turned out to be a great beer!

Haha why? You will have just saved yourself (and possibly others) a bunch of effort by lowering the minimum amount of work required to produce a great beer.

Anyone who has been led to believe that they need to go all grain to make good beer, but doesn't want to will thank you. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Haha why? You will have just saved yourself (and possibly others) a bunch of effort by lowering the minimum amount of work required to produce a great beer.

Anyone who has been led to believe that they need to go all grain to make good beer, but doesn't want to will thank you. 

Cheers, 

John 

Well, yeah - that was kinda my point.  I was thinking about all those hours I've spent over the years tinkering around with countless recipes and ingredients, educating myself on the ins and outs of the finer aspects brewing all in the quest for that ultimate perfect brew.  And then to only now discover it was right there at my fingertips all along, in a couple of cans and only requiring 30 mins to prepare!  😂  

However, let's not jump to conclusions just yet!   😁

• Like 1