Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

4 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Haha why? You will have just saved yourself (and possibly others) a bunch of effort by lowering the minimum amount of work required to produce a great beer.

Anyone who has been led to believe that they need to go all grain to make good beer, but doesn't want to will thank you. 

Currently there are flavours derived from specialty grains that are not available in extract form. I mash & steep many of these grains mainly because I have to, to produce certain flavours expected in certain types of beers, not because I necessarily want to.

For the most part, I still consider myself very much an extract brewer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3

I enjoy the extra effort to brew AG. It's not really about getting better beer although I did notice an improvement when I made the switch, but just more satisfaction creating and brewing something of my own rather than just mixing up some goop in a bucket. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I enjoy the extra effort to brew AG. It's not really about getting better beer although I did notice an improvement when I made the switch, but just more satisfaction creating and brewing something of my own rather than just mixing up some goop in a bucket. 

If it produces the outcomes I want, I'm happy to use "goop". 😉

Briess are producing a good line of extract choices but after contacting them, I found out some of them are proprietary blends that they supply on mass to certain commercial businesses/entities & are only produced & listed for retail sale because of this. I do tip my hat to them for an expanded extract range though. 👍

With many of these specialty grains it's not beneficial for a producer to range them in the same sizes as they would a base malt type grain in extract form. Generally extract brewers follow the same practices as all-grain brewers when they use specialty malts & only purchase them in smaller amounts. So if I was thinking about creating a range of specialty grain extracts, I'd produce them & range them in smaller tins/canisters (maybe 200-250gm weight LME) & see how they go on the retail market. @Coopers

Every home-brewer wants to make a good beer, not every home-brewer wants a 4 hour plus brew day. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Sampled the rosella Kviek beer today and it’s down to 1.009. We will see tomorrow what it is and then cold crash for a little bit. 

Warm, it tastes a bit gross.

I don't know enough about these hibiscus beers to comment where you're at Capt. All I have to draw on is Ben 10's Rosella Saison that looked terrific, tasted really nice, & all that I would have changed/improved was the aromatics with a dry hop that complimented the flavours he had already created.

If I was going to market a beer to women, it would be that beer Ben 10 made (with a lifted aromatic).

Ben is probably the best one to tell you where the beer is likely at right now & how it may change moving forward.

Cheers & best of luck with it.

Lusty.

I've only ever had a couple of Kviek's in my time. My memory is poor. Would I be fair in saying they are quite sharp/crisp & forward fruity beers? 🤔

At 1.009 SG I'd expect your current version to be.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I wasn't speaking for every brewer, but having done AG for near on 7 years, mixing up some goop just doesn't have the same satisfaction to me as doing it all myself. It's the same reason I enjoy making my own bacon and hams, although they are also a lot nicer than commercial stuff. 

On topic, I have to check the SG of the current batch tomorrow. The sample appears to have stopped but it's a bit difficult to see what the reading is with all the krausen muck in the tube. Looks to be around 1.015 which is a bit high but it's possible it got too cold overnight. The main batch went up to 21 but has since dropped to around 19.5-20 so still warm enough to keep fermenting. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone.

Still very new to this game. My second ever brew is in the vat, and this time its Apple Cider. 

Into a typical Cooper's FV went:
21 litres of Golden Circle Applie Juice 
2 litres of Golden Circle Pear/Apple/Raspberry Juice (60% pear, 38% apple, 2% raspberry)
1 kilogram CSR Brown Sugar
5g (1 packet) Brigalow Brewing Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)

pitched at 20 degrees. 
Planning for a 3-4 week fermentation, then into bottles with those Coopers sugar tablets.

OG was 1059 which im hoping would go to 1020 or lower. 
Im not sure how it would go in the end, as the Pear juice + the fact the yeast is an ale yeast so would (should?) not go too the same dryness and FG of a champagne yeast.

Is there anything that i would be wise to be on the look out for while it does its thing?
Thank you in advance for the advice, this is going to be fun!

Edited by drewbert

15 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It'll likely ferment lower than that, most of the sugar in the juice is fermentable so it'll probably go under 1.010. I would have used more yeast though. 5g is bugger all. 

It is taking it's sweet time (no pun intended) but has started its cloudy bubbly fun.

Unfortunately its all i had at the time...

• Haha 1

When I want a quick keg filler with little effort and I want something nice and easy, lawnmower beer like, I brew the Mexican cerveza with 1kg of some combo of wheat and dry malt. I also add a smidgen of dextrose to get it a little drier for my tastes. Hops are usually flameout after a short boil maybe I start at 15 min and down if I want some more flavour.  It is fast and it works. I been using that kit and different hops, malts and grains for a few years, it gives me a baseline for testing different ingredients, low in IBUs, clean and can be cheaper than 1.5kg of lme. Basically my favorite kit.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I've only ever had a couple of Kviek's in my time. My memory is poor. Would I be fair in saying they are quite sharp/crisp & forward fruity beers? 🤔

At 1.009 SG I'd expect your current version to be.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I’ve never had a Kviek yeast beer so not sure  what to expect. It’s now finished so cold crashing. 

Guess we will see when is it the glass. 

Current SG of that pale ale is about 1.008-10. I'll test it again tomorrow just to make sure it's done. Seems awfully low, maybe the mash temp crept lower than I intended. 

If it's the same tomorrow I'll crash chill it and keg a week later. It tastes quite fruity considering the only hop addition was Cascade at FWH. 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, BlackSands said:

And then to only now discover it was right there at my fingertips all along, in a couple of cans and only requiring 30 mins to prepare!  😂  

I feel the same way about my Dark Ale Toucan (One Coops Dark Ale + one Lager + bit of DME)… plus temp control and good water... it's outstanding...  

But I do also like the AG first one I just made... and am looking forward to exploring the AG universe... 

But for good beer there are many ways up to the top of the mountain.  It's just the XXXX Gold track (and most megaswill)} in in my humble opinion is only pointing downhill 😝

Will be good to see how your Cerveza turns out BS!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I feel the same way about my Dark Ale Toucan (One Coops Dark Ale + one Lager + bit of DME)… plus temp control and good water... it's outstanding...  

Best beer I ever brewed was an extract Brown IPA built on the Coopers Dark Ale can.   Might revisit that can actually and see what else I can do with it...   

• Like 1

Hello brewers, 

This is my first post as I have just re started home brewing, I have a keg fridge and was buying kegs of different kinds but nothing that I really enjoyed, so I started brewing the bee keeper receipt and the blushing blonde,

The problem I have is after fermentation I place in kegs but I dont seem to get the carbonation that I should. I have the cow set at 12 psi and the fridge runs between 0-2 dec c,

Any help would be appreciated 

That's about the same settings I use for my kegs and the carbonation is fine although not high. I'd probably class it as medium. How long are they on the gas before you start drinking them?

Its possible you may have a leak somewhere, but if not the only real option is to increase the gas pressure. 

37 minutes ago, Navigator said:

I have the cow set at 12 psi

I use co2 to carbonate my beer. Maybe the issue is that you have a cow and methane gas to carb up your beer. 

Try co2 and I guarantee you’ll have a better result. 

Another question. Where do you have the regulator in your cow.............Never mind I think I know where it would go.

Beer Baron

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's about the same settings I use for my kegs and the carbonation is fine although not high. I'd probably class it as medium. How long are they on the gas before you start drinking them?

Its possible you may have a leak somewhere, but if not the only real option is to increase the gas pressure. 

It's only been on gas for a week, I tried gassing the porter at 30 psi for 24 hours then dropped to  8 psi.

Can I gas with out being chilled ie room temp?

Not really, it will carbonate eventually but you'll waste a lot of gas trying to. The colder the beer is the less gas you need to carbonate it. 

I have left beers on serving pressure and sometimes they're good after a week and sometimes they need more time. See how they go with extra time. It may be all that's needed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Navigator said:

The problem I have is after fermentation I place in kegs but I dont seem to get the carbonation that I should

I have a feeling that adding fruit to the Canadian Blonde might reduce the carbonation? Not sure about that but mine ended up with pretty low carbonation and I did read somewhere that fruit will reduce head retention, which mine certainly did.

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Best beer I ever brewed was an extract Brown IPA built on the Coopers Dark Ale can.   Might revisit that can actually and see what else I can do with it...   

Interesting...

Go on...(recipe perhaps 😉)

Very keen to see what this was. I just brewed a basic Dark ale K&K with CCA yeast to build up stock quickly for the colder months, turned out surprisingly tasty for such a basic half hour job, so if yours is based off the dark ale can I'd be very keen.

Edited by karlos_1984

20 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

I have a feeling that adding fruit to the Canadian Blonde might reduce the carbonation? Not sure about that but mine ended up with pretty low carbonation and I did read somewhere that fruit will reduce head retention, which mine certainly did.

While they are related, head retention and carbonation are different things. Carbonation is the actual level of fizz, not how well the head sticks around. 

• Like 1