Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

Hi guys, bit late but haven't had internet and ran out of phone data. 

Anyway, I'll kick off with the Bohemian/German pilsner that was put in nearly two weeks ago. I'll check SG tomorrow and again a couple of days later, if they're the same then I can probably start ramping it down to lager for a couple of weeks.

Happy New year mate! 🙂

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Anyway, I'll kick off with the Bohemian/German pilsner that was put in nearly two weeks ago. I'll check SG tomorrow and again a couple of days later, if they're the same then I can probably start ramping it down to lager for a couple of weeks.

You're pretty much at a point of copy & pasting this nowadays yes? 😜

What yeast are you using on this one?...and anything different than your usual makeup?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...The other difference is using Hallertau through most of the boil trying to use it up, and what was left of the Saaz as a flameout addition.

Have you ever thought about trying a blended hop brew of the Saaz & Hallertau, but a little more the other way around?

Hallertau has a better aromatic profile than does Saaz, so I'd be more inclined to use the Saaz up to approx. 10mins before the end of the boil & then Hallertau  10mins & below & flameout/whirlpool.

You'd get the typical nice spice from the Saaz, but a better aromatic profile from the later additions of Hallertau (IMHO).

If I could dare challenge you with something (you might find interesting? 🤔) for 2019 with your brewing, it would be to experiment with the backend boil hops of your Pilsner recipe.

Some food for thought maybe. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I didn't have much Saaz left otherwise I may have tried something like that. I have to do another hop order soon though. 

Happy New Year Chaps and thank you for your inspiration in better brewing!  Am looking at the BIAB opportunity this year... with a Mashmaster Minimill...

After being solely an extract brewer with adjuncts the prospect is exciting, a little daunting... but with the good advice on this site definitely plausible.

Do you guys order your hops in larger quantities to keep costs down?  Any advice?

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Do you guys order your hops in larger quantities to keep costs down?  Any advice?

Yep, sure do. I buy 500g bags usually, however I have just come across another supplier in Perth that does 250g bags for good prices too so I’ve been getting a few from there as well. 

When I do a trip to Perth I usually come back with a couple of kilos of the main ones I use.

Theres some really good online suppliers across Australia. I’ve been er ordered any online thus far.

Edited by The Captain1525230099
  • Like 1

Happy New Year folks.

Inspired by comments from Lusty, I put down a light beer over the weekend.  Just a kit and half a kilo.  Mroagns Draught (picked one up cheap) and half a kilo of LDM with a harvested Saflager W34/70.  Currently brewing at 11°.  Will split after 7 days, leave half naked and dry hop the other half with Vic Secret and Topaz, and let rise to 18°

Cheers Shamus

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Smashed Crabs said:

3 Can Cerveza time! going to try something different to use up some hops b4 I go back to work.

3 x Coopers Cerveza Cans 

3 x kit yeast

Made to 25 litres

Dry hopped with 100g of Saaz.

Unsure how the Saaz will go in this but gotta use it up.

2 cans were no where near overly bitter, 3 will be cool. Wish you could keg hop it. Drink up homie.

Careful with dry hopping Saaz, apparently it can lead to grassy flavours if it's left in there too long. I've never done it, though I was advised against using it as a flameout addition for the same reason which I thought odd since they don't stay in long. Did it anyway and it was fine, but a dry hop obviously stays in for days rather than minutes.

On another note, I checked the SG in my lager just before and it's sitting around 1.012-13, and looks finished given the clarity of the sample so I'll check it again in a couple of days to make sure. I'll be bringing the desktop computer over here finally next week or maybe over the weekend, so I'll do up a recipe or two to get a couple of brew days in before I go back to work. Then I'll be on the hunt for another fridge.

35 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Careful with dry hopping Saaz, apparently it can lead to grassy flavours if it's left in there too long. I've never done it, though I was advised against using it as a flameout addition for the same reason which I thought odd since they don't stay in long. Did it anyway and it was fine, but a dry hop obviously stays in for days rather than minutes.

Yeah I might look at adjusting the hop additions I was just going to dump it in the FV. I hadn't put it down yet I'm in the process of doing my First Run Pale in the robo and was going to make it inbetwen. Done the gardens instead.

4 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

...Dry hopped with 100g of Saaz.

Unsure how the Saaz will go in this but gotta use it up.

47 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Careful with dry hopping Saaz, apparently it can lead to grassy flavours if it's left in there too long. I've never done it...

Grassy tones often appear with very leafy whole hops &/or in conjunction with longish exposure times. Some hop varieties are more prone to this trait than others as well.

I've tested this theory with Saaz as a dry hop & proved (to myself at least) that it can be dry hopped successfully. Just limit the contact time they are exposed to the beer. Either wrap them so they can be removed, or time your dry hop with it so that the hops are not exposed to the beer for more than 3 days prior to you bottling/kegging it.

As a dry hop Saaz is not highly aromatic, & I found it only lended a light lemony aroma. It's much better used in the boil phase or steeped (IMHO).

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Cheers Lusty, I might do a small LDM boil or Carapils and do like 80g FO -80 steep then add or something. 

Watch out for the spicy character @ that weight. It might magnify to an undesired level. I've never steeped that much Saaz before. 

Otto man is the Saaz king around here, so hopefully he spots this & can offer some more solid advice based on his usage & observations of the hop.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just laid down The Coopers Red Rattler Ale last night, I have brewed this before and was very good so visiting it again,

INGREDIENTS

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale 

1 x 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract

1 x 500g Light Dry Malt

1 x 300g Caramunich ( III ) Grain

1 x 25g Willamette Hop Pellets

If it turns out like the last batch ill be extremely happy. 🙂

Cheers

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Watch out for the spicy character @ that weight. It might magnify to an undesired level. I've never steeped that much Saaz before. 

Otto man is the Saaz king around here, so hopefully he spots this & can offer some more solid advice based on his usage & observations of the hop.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've never noticed a spicy character from it but at the same time I've never used those kinds of weights in late boil additions.

If 100g is available I'd probably do a 10 minute boil with 50g of it and flameout the other 50g. That's a bit more than I usually use but not a whole lot more.

Put an American Pale in the fermenter yesterday. 500 gram Gladfields American Malt (crushed by rolling pin) @ 65-70 degrees for 30 minutes, then a boil of 10 grams of Cascade @ 30 minutes, 15 of Cascade & Centennial @ 5 minutes, then 20 of each @ flame out, steeped for 20 minutes. Put 1.5 kg LDM & a can of Morgans Ultra Premium Frontier IPA in the fermenter along with the boil. Took a while to get the wort to pitching temp, but put in 1 pk of re-hydrated US-05 @ 22 degrees around 6:30 last night. Took a hydro reading of 1.042, which was about 10 points less than what Ian's spreadsheet predicted. No activity in the airlock, no krausen or any change in gravity yet. Getting a bit nervous, can anyone see any errors I've made? I have about 3 packs of kit yeast if needed. Thanks!

Just put down my rip off of OVB's Red Ale with a Kit. 

1.7kg Pale Ale Kit
1.0kg Light Dry Malt
300g CaraAroma
200g CaraPils
(No black patent unfortunately)
15g Cascade @20mins
20g Cascade @0mins
20g Centennial @0mins

Will dry hop with 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial 

Brew day went a bit rubbish, forgot to chill some water last night so pitching temp was a bit too high at around 25 degrees, but got it straight in the fridge so hopefully cools down fast. First time using re-used slurry so hopefully all goes well!

Was aiming for 1.047 and got 1.042 so bit off, although i did spill a fat chunk of grain pouring it into the bag, maybes thats my 5 points lol

Now I just have to start drinking what I have in stock because I do not have enough bottles to bottle this haha 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smash said:

can anyone see any errors I've made?

The only one i can see is checking for then stressing about no action. Pitch your yeast, then check again 48hrs later, no activity? Then start to worry. 😀😀