Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

5 hours ago, Navigator said:

...The problem I have is after fermentation I place in kegs but I dont seem to get the carbonation that I should. I have the cow set at 12 psi and the fridge runs between 0-2 dec c,

Any help would be appreciated 

Perhaps have a look at these...

Coopers DIY: Kegging Beer

Fast Carbing a Keg

For lager type beers, I'd expect your settled carb level on a home brew setup to be around 11-12psi pouring pressure or slightly higher, but 12psi gives me really good carb levels & with my rig I generally don't go any higher than that.

Based on your own situation right now, just up your regulator pressure to allow to that level & see how it goes. Once stable @ 12psi If after a few days it's not pouring with a good carbonation level, as Kelsey suggested, you may have a leak that is affecting your carbonation, or the setup of your rig might be affecting it in some way that may involve further investigation.

Best of luck,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

Very keen to see what this was. I just brewed a basic Dark ale K&K with CCA yeast to build up stock quickly for the colder months, turned out surprisingly tasty for such a basic half hour job, so if yours is based off the dark ale can I'd be very keen.

Karlos my cracker was Toucan w 1 Dark Ale Coops and 1 OS Lager + 1kg LDME... 18 deg C temp control... spring water... pure gold.

Comes out at a respectable 6.5% in the bottle w secondary ferment.

But if that is too much of an upper-cut in a glass or two... just drop the LDME... cos the goodness in the brew comes from the liquid malt in the tins (not the dry malt extract).

It is such a simple brew but great outcome.  23L.   

5 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Another question. Where do you have the regulator in your cow.............Never mind I think I know where it would go.

Beer Baron

No need BB1 - cow got four stomachs so should just be fine without all the other gadgetry👺

BB2

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

Interesting...

Go on...(recipe perhaps 😉)

Very keen to see what this was. I just brewed a basic Dark ale K&K with CCA yeast to build up stock quickly for the colder months, turned out surprisingly tasty for such a basic half hour job, so if yours is based off the dark ale can I'd be very keen.

Unfortunately I don't have the exact recipe as it was kinda done on the fly on the day but from memory it was the Dark Ale can plus 3kg LME.   I'm pretty sure I used some NZ hop(s) I had on hand as short-boil additions -  and I know I threw in 100g Mosaic as a single dry hop.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Unfortunately I don't have the exact recipe as it was kinda done on the fly on the day but from memory it was the Dark Ale can plus 3kg LME.   I'm pretty sure I used some NZ hop(s) I had on hand as short-boil additions -  and I know I threw in 100g Mosaic as a single dry hop.   

Convergent evolution...

think that is down the same track as One Dark Ale Tin One OS Lager Tin plus 1kg of LDME.... interesting...

Though my low level of hopping excellence does not equate to what you did Black Sands...  but I guess the Coops OS lager had some hoppage inherent? 😜

The taste-texture-head retention of the Toucan has been legendary... 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 12:16 PM, BlackSands said:

Down to 1.014 already.  It's been sitting on exactly 18.2ºC for the last two days without budging even 0.1º .   Must have hit a perfect equilibrium between exothermic energy and controlled environment. 

It spent another day at 1.014 at which point I upped the temp to 20ºC but it was still stubbornly sitting at 1.014 a day later, so looks like it took just two days to reach what now appears to be FG.  This one did get brewed on the cake of the previous batch so I guess that explains the rather fast fermentation.   Oddly however, M54 is supposed to be a high attenuator but this and the previous batch both failed to even hit 70%.  🤨  

It's day 5 now and it doesn't look like the SG is gonna budge from it's current level so I think I'll CC.    M54 is also supposed to be a high flocculator but the previous batch remained super hazy even after CC and gelatine.  🤔   That batch is super bright in the bottles now after a few days but on bottling day I could see it was far hazier than even my non-CC'd brews used to be.  I suspect I'll have the same experience with this batch. 

Edited by BlackSands

On 5/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, Lab Rat said:

You could try packing the sides and filling empty space with foam or polystyrene. Then the Fridge doesn't nee to work as hard to get down to and maintain a temperature.

Turns out the fridge's thermostat is a bit dodgy.  When set to the lowest setting it's shutting off long before it gets there. Today it switched off at 10ºC.  🤨 

I've now bypassed the thermostat so the fridge is permanently 'on'.    😎 

Edited by BlackSands

Maybe it needs to be set at the highest setting? The brew fridge and kitchen fridge are like that, on the brew fridge the highest number is the lowest temp and in the kitchen fridge it's "max" that's the lowest temp.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

57 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe it needs to be set at the highest setting? The brew fridge and kitchen fridge are like that, on the brew fridge the highest number is the lowest temp and in the kitchen fridge it's "max" that's the lowest temp.

I know what you mean, on this particular thermostat there's actually an arc'd arrow labelled "cooler" which clearly points to the highest number on the scale being the coldest.   Which is where I had it set

❄️

Edited by BlackSands

Interesting, I've never tried the Dark Ale kit. Made up to 11l gives around 100 EBC and 91 IBU so with a bit of LDM and dextrose could be good for a black DIPL with a considerable flameout and dry hop addition. Hmmm...

The 2 beers I have fermenting are going well. My MOTB batch has likely been at FG for a little while. The gravity sample tasted like the epitome of the style I was aiming for, so that's a good thing. I'll let it sit for a little while more to drop even brighter and then bottle it up and do my entry form. 

The leftovers beer seems to be pretty much done too and smells really nice. I'm tempted to give it a little dry hop but can't think of a good way of doing that in my little 5l jerry can with its tiny opening that won't wreak havoc at bottling time. I might check if it'll fit in the door of my fridge and if it will, try a commando dry hop plus cold crash prior to bottling. 

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I know what you mean, on this particular thermostat there's actually an arc'd arrow labelled "cooler" which clearly points to the highest number on the scale being the coldest.   Which is where I had it set

❄️

Is it just refusing to chill any lower than 10 degrees? I'm guessing it's not just the compressor switching on and off on the way down...

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Is it just refusing to chill any lower than 10 degrees? I'm guessing it's not just the compressor switching on and off on the way down...

You guessed wrong.  😉    It's now sitting comfortably at 2ºC.  

By the way, in a past life I was an electronics/electrical engineer.  Designed and built a fair few temperature controlled devices in those days (scientific/medical field).   😎 

• Haha 3

Gotcha. Speaking of cold crashing, I dropped the controller down to zero earlier today. It had got the beer down to about 8 or 9 degrees when I looked at it a couple of hours ago.

Being colder now it won't have any trouble so I've left the temp probe in place on the FV. In summer I remove it and change the variance so the fridge gets a break. Doesn't have any trouble getting the ambient fridge temp down to zero (plus a little overshoot downwards) but if I leave the probe in place it stops dropping at about 2 degrees and then the freezer chest ices up shitloads, hindering it even more. Probably gets to 40 or more under that patio without a breeze. 

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Probably gets to 40 or more under that patio without a breeze. 

In complete contrast...   overnight temps here were around 5º last night!  😨    Might as well turn the fridge off and save some power!   😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Summer is lucky to get under 25 overnight sometimes 

My Father was born in Scotland and I don’t feel the cold much so I guess it’s passed on from him. I wear shorts every day of the year but I would absolutely love to move to QLD where it is warmer all year round

• Like 1

Just now, Beer Baron said:

My Father was born in Scotland and I don’t feel the cold much so I guess it’s passed on from him. I wear shorts every day of the year but I would absolutely love to move to QLD where it is warmer all year round

My dad is Scottish too and I don't mind the cold (well, Australian cold anyway). I don't think I would want to be warm all year round, I like having seasons.

I am from Omaha Nebraska in the US and we have all four seasons there with snow. I don't miss the snow and enjoy the mild winters here in regional Victoria, but wearing shorts at this time of year is cray cray, in my professional opinion of being an @ss. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Hairy said:

My dad is Scottish too and I don't mind the cold (well, Australian cold anyway). I don't think I would want to be warm all year round, I like having seasons.

I don’t mind the cold either I just like the warmer weather so I can walk around in my mankini!! 

Photos upon request. 

• Haha 1