Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

As for polyclar, it drops out into the trub, so none of it makes it into the bottles/keg/glass. Same with isinglass. I always leave the beer sit for 3-4 days after adding it to ensure it all drops out even though it probably does it in one day. You are not drinking plastic. 😜

Yeah I know. Just trying something else before going down that route though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...As for polyclar, it drops out into the trub, so none of it makes it into the bottles/keg/glass. Same with isinglass. I always leave the beer sit for 3-4 days after adding it to ensure it all drops out even though it probably does it in one day. You are not drinking plastic. 😜

MY MOTB brew is bopping along quite nicely atm, & given it's going into a comp, I was thinking about using some finings on it, just the typical gelatin based one.

Does this stuff work at ambient temps just as well as at cold temps? 🤔 The only other times I've used the stuff, I've started cold crash with the addition. The reason being, I'd like to clear the beer, then maybe dry hop after, as per your suggestion a few days ago. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Recovery from surgery is over, thank god! 🙌

I had 2 full FVs (Pavlova PA and Lemon Zest Weizen) sitting there for the 2 weeks I waited.

Finally got the strength to bottle all 43L (mix of 86 tallies/stubs) on Friday which left me with 2 empty FVs.

Today in my (extended) lunch break while working from home, I've managed to do a slight bastard K9 Quencher
I couldn't get Caramel Rye - so I did a 60m mini-mash with just 150g each Normal Rye and Caramel Hell. Hit all expected numbers particularly ferment start temp for a change ☺️

Stocks will be high in a month or so. 👍

• Like 3

Well.  What to do now.

My Shamus Adams Boston Lager 

• OG 1.030
  • Pitched onto my previous Saflager W-34/70 yeast cake
  • Started in fermenting freezer at 18°C for about 15 hours
  • Krausen was well formed at that time (Monday morning).  Dropped temp to 12°C
  • Krausen still hanging around on Monday night
  • This morning (Tuesday) krausen had dropped
  • Measured SG tonight at 1.010

Smells good, if a little bit sulphur-y.

Re-set freezer to 18°C.  Do I

1. Let it rise in the freezer (it usually takes 2-3 days to reach 18°C)
  2. Open the freezer to let the ambient temperature get it up to 18°C quicker
  3. Drop in a heat belt to get it to 18°C very quickly

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Well.  What to do now.

Ambient. Vote climate.

I'm gonna try this one on my next order. Will go well in my shed during Melbs winter. 😜
The lagers I did last year were nearly this with a Real Ale can instead.

Edited by elLachlano
  • Like 2

I'd probably open the freezer, or stick a hot water bottle or two in there and let it warm up quicker. 

Also, it could have been dropped to 12 or wherever as soon as it was pitched. No need to prolong the warm temp when you're pitching that much yeast at it 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

It’s a keg to keg filter. Basically push the beer through a keg to another keg or like today a FV which I bottled from. In between that is a water filter. 

That is a beautiful thing...

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good luck w your MOTB brew Lusty!

Thanks BB. 🙂

I'm a realist, so know there are better brewers out there than me that will likely compete for the grand prize. It is an experimental brew & I have decided to really test my knowledge of few things with it, so ultimately just hope I hit a few highs measured against my own standards. After all, I'm gonna have to drink most of it! 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good luck w your MOTB brew Lusty!

In envy of you guys entering MOTB. I'd try my luck but none of my brews thus far have strayed enough away from the Coopers recipes.

FFWD 12 months and I may have something up my sleeve.

Good luck to all who enter. I just wish I was on the judging panel. 😉😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

Thanks BB. 🙂

I'm a realist, so know there are better brewers out there than me that will likely compete for the grand prize. It is an experimental brew & I have decided to really test my knowledge of few things with it, so ultimately just hope I hit a few highs measured against my own standards. After all, I'm gonna have to drink most of it! 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

What is bizarre in any such comps is... What are the judges aiming for... 

Anyway good stuff... Sounds like u r having a bit of fun n doing something different so that is cooool!

4 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

Good luck to all who enter. I just wish I was on the judging panel. 😉😉

Me Too!!!  I do believe I am thirsty enough - happy to fill out a Stat Dec and also provide excellent Referees. 

And can provide photographic evidence of my experience with the Coopers Family Products with my vast largie collection!!!

Please advise where to apply at your earliest convenience.   😜

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, elLachlano said:

...I just wish I was on the judging panel. 😉😉

Me too.

I can just picture/hear the speech from perhaps Tim Cooper on the morning of the judging...

"Well judges, you have 3000 beers to get through" that is quickly met by a ROAR & RAPTUROUS applause that continues on & on as the judges immediately move off to their stations, to the point Tim (or said Coopers representative) gives up bothering with the rest of his intro speech & leaves the troops to it. 🤣

No offence meant.

Not a bad gig that day @ Coopers for sure. 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 4

Are you there PB2?

It would be cool in such a comp to have a Pre-Comp for someone off our Community to sit on the Judges Panel... 

Just an idea...

If that is too much trouble - just pick me this year and Ellachlano for the next???

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

If that is too much trouble - just pick me this year and Ellachlano for the next???

I was just about to ask if you are secretly wishing that they'd read this and consider it as much as I was!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Point 10. in the Terms and Conditions explains the Judging process.

Thanks PB2... But I didna see in there that BB will be coming off the Judges' bench when required?! 😝

now all good this is just a little gag on the way through.... Looking forward to seeing how things develop!

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Are you there PB2?

2 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Point 10. in the Terms and Conditions explains the Judging process.

Despite the officialdom (Something Sir Les Patterson first termed I believe?) the likes of PB2 & others on the judging panel of his brewing calibre & knowledge will soon be placed into a lockdown mode there at the brewery. Sort of like those plastic atmosphere tents you saw in the movie E.T.  There will be no-one in, & no-one out. A form of conditioning training will then occur in the lead-up where each judge will go through a rigorous drinking regime that will prepare them for the ultimate test come judging day of the MOTB.

Well that's how Spielberg would do it. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2