Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

On 3/27/2019 at 4:34 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Doesn't sound anything like what I experienced with Cluster hops. I used it twice in XXXX bitter clones as a bittering hop with a small amount later in the boil as well. Those beers are a bland style where any shitty flavour like that would be well noticed, but I didn't get any. 

The onion like flavour would be more likely contamination, which could be the cause of the other problems as well. 

You were right Kelsey, this batch is contaminated. I have been saving it to see if it would improve, but the bandaid is now unmistakeable. I just dumped the batch.

There is never a good time for a contaminated batch, but it is really too bad that it happened with my SFWH experimental batch. 😞

Cheers,

Christina.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Oops!

Yes Captain, Canada uses the metric system, for the most part. However I still stubbornly measure people weight in pounds, and people height in feet and inches, and a lot of other people still do as well. If a friend has an 8 pound baby, or tells me they have lost 20 pounds, or that their sons is now 5'10", I know how big that is. The equivalent metric numbers would be meaningless to me. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Totally with you.  Ireland is metric but again weight and height is in stones and pounds and height is in feet.  We also measured distance in miles up until recent ( since we joined the European Union)

its a funny old world.  ( only thing I can’t get is ounces )

It's like that in Australia too. Everything is in metric except someone's height. Although in saying that, any official documents use centimetres. The feet and inches is more informal use. 

Still get those annoying food recipes that have the old cups and tablespoons etc. but then in the same recipe list something else in grams. Is it so difficult to just put everything in metric... 

9 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

You were right Kelsey, this batch is contaminated. I have been saving it to see if it would improve, but the bandaid is now unmistakeable. I just dumped the batch.

There is never a good time for a contaminated batch, but it is really too bad that it happened with my SFWH experimental batch. 😞

Cheers,

Christina.

That's a shame! What do you think caused the contamination?

45 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's like that in Australia too. Everything is in metric except someone's height. Although in saying that, any official documents use centimetres. The feet and inches is more informal use. 

Still get those annoying food recipes that have the old cups and tablespoons etc. but then in the same recipe list something else in grams. Is it so difficult to just put everything in metric... 

Don't forget pressure 😛

Nearly always expressed as PSI too.

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's a shame! What do you think caused the contamination?

Not sure. My process was a little different than usual because of doing the SFWH, but that should not have caused an infection, as the partial mash wort got boiled. All I can think of is that I was using Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell yeast for the first time. I rehydrated the yeast at my usual 38-39C, but I see now that Mangrove Jack actually recommend 30-35C. In any case fermentation started very quickly after pitching. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Not this anymore. Yeast fail allowed an infection to take hold.

Tipped it this morning. 😒

Ohh well, time to think up something for the MOTB comp.

Cheers,

Lusty.

The SFWH beers aren’t having much luck

@Beerlust and @ChristinaS1

ive been super interested in how these fair too. Hopefully you keep going with this technique. 

Cheers

Red ale dregs, being emptied and soaked tonight. Still waiting on the replacement probe wires. Once they arrive I'll make up a starter of 1056 for the FWH Cascade pale ale. Not expecting a bursting flavour from that one but I'm interested to see what a FWH only beer will taste like.

I have got the controller ready for the replacement though. These replacements are only 0.5m long so I have kept the original wire connected to the controller with a connector on the other end to fit the replacement wire into, giving it enough length to reach the fermenter with the unit in its usual place on top of the fridge. 

What’s in my fermenter today? Coopers Craft Bilby Chocolate Porter. I forgot how good drinking Chocolate smelt!

if anyone from Coopers reads this, please continue the Craft recipe packs! Even though I do All Grain now and develop my own recipes, I love doing these kits! I get to try different styles, they are easy to make and the fermenter is easy to manage! Sometimes I might not want to brew a big batch (they tend to be all grain), so these kits are perfect! 

the beer sitting on top is another Craft kit - Californian Riptide IPA, another great kit!

cheers

562C9312-AC69-472D-B1F8-CFC4CBD0F5FC.jpeg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Not this anymore. Yeast fail allowed an infection to take hold.

Tipped it this morning. 😒

Ohh well, time to think up something for the MOTB comp.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Sorry to hear about that Lusty. 😣  But on the bright side, at least you figured out it was infected before you went through the bother of bottling it. 

Cheers,

Christina.

On 5/11/2019 at 12:07 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Not sure. My process was a little different than usual because of doing the SFWH, but that should not have caused an infection, as the partial mash wort got boiled. All I can think of is that I was using Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell yeast for the first time. I rehydrated the yeast at my usual 38-39C, but I see now that Mangrove Jack actually recommend 30-35C. In any case fermentation started very quickly after pitching. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Anyone think the higher rehydration temperature might have impaired the Liberty Bell yeast, allowing a wild yeast to take hold? Or favoured the wild yeast over the Liberty Bell yeast?

Just in case, next time I use Mangrove Jack yeast, I will be rehydrating in the 30-35C range.

Cheers,

Christina.

17 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Tested the London Brown Ale last night and down to 1.012 and been there for a while so bottling that tonight. Sample tasted great, like a mild porter. As per style it’s only ended up at 2.9% so 3.4 after bottling should make it a nice winter lawnmower beer 😊

You Mow your lawn in winter?!?!