Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

Just checked the Pavlova Pale and it's stalled at 1020 since the 1st May. Pushed the temp up to 24c to see if it does anything. I noticed this post on the forum with a similar post around a 1020 stall. Wonder if it's just the recipe?

OG was 1051 which is still a decent ferment. I'm going for surgery on Monday and was hoping to bottle this beforehand but and probably going to see how this tracks for the weekend then bring it down in temp to sit while I recover.

In theory the SG has been consistent enough to bottle, but 1020 is still about 8 points more than expected, and I'm paranoid of bottle bombs. Better to wait.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:07 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

I was floating the possibility for using rolled oats (not malted) in Stout for improving creamy feel at some stage on the forum but from memory there was a general disinclination for that being a good idea?

Strange if that was the case! Oatmeal stout is a delicious and well-recognised style.

I've only made one, and it needed more roast character (Joe White choc malt is very mild), so it was more of an oatmeal porter. It was nice though. I used 10% rolled (quick) oats from memory and toasted in the oven prior to mashing as per Jamil's tip in Brewing Classic Styles.

Edit: Found my recipe... 

I primed too high at 1 carb drop in a 330ml bottle, go low for this style. 

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

Better to wait.

I did wait on the Bilby Chocolate Porter.  I got it to 1.020 for a few days, then seemed to stall.  Raised to 22°C.  It has now dropped to 1.017.  Keeping an eye on it.

Suggest you keep an eye on your Pavlova Pale.  If no movement after a few days then look to bottle.

• Like 1

Last night I put down a double batch of Toucan Stout. 

2× O.S. Stout

2× O.S Dark Ale

2 kg Raw sugar

36 litres water

Split into two F.V's

Pitched 200mls slurry from previous ale batch in each.

Pitched at 20°C and set controller at 18°C.

Will top up each F.V. with 5 litres boiled (chilled) water once the krausen backs off. 

Only been 10 hours since pitching and the krausen is hitting the top of the F.V's already, its gonna get messy.... 🍻

Cheers, Lee

• Like 3

2 hours ago, #granted+brew said:

Last night I put down a double batch of Toucan Stout. 2 kg Raw sugar

Hey Lee.... a beautiful thing.  My recent Toucan Coopers Dark Ale w second as OS Lager + some extra LDME + small hop addition came out really well and lovely creamy head. 

Why using sugar and not malt i.e. cidery flavours w sugar - or does the bigger Stouty nature not really get worried by the sugar factor?

Guess mate I brewed loadsa Coopers Stouts w Sugar years ago and we all enjoyed it lots.... guess the lighter beers e.g. Lager/Pils styles might be more affected by Sugar-Cidery flavour issue?

Good luck with the brew and keep some towels handy ; )

12 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Strange if that was the case! Oatmeal stout is a delicious and well-recognised style.....   Edit: Found my recipe... 

Gold - thanks for the Recipe John - beaut - will put your Stout/Porter recipe in the archives for a crack in the future John. Sounds lovely.  Think upping what malt might aid head...  if anything of my recent super-overcarb Weizenbok is a guide.

My recent Overcarb-glass experiment does show that standard old schooner glass seemed to keep head down...  while the wheat beer glass which Weizen should be drunk out of was uncontrollable ; )

Might try that experiment again this evening 😜

image.png.7e83c8f3ca4815719dbcff6c1e6dbaad.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Why using sugar and not malt i.e. cidery flavours w sugar - or does the bigger Stouty nature not really get worried by the sugar factor?

Hi @Bearded Burbler, This is my third go at the Toucan Stout and the second time I've used raw sugar. First time I used Dextrose. I think a sugar addition helps balance out all the malt from the two cans of extract as well as drying it out at bit and obviously adds extra ABV. 

One of the best beers I've made to date was my first toucan stout batch. Kilo of Dex, 23 litres and it was fermented with reactivated CCA yeast at 18°C then ramped up to 20°C to finish off. Bloody beautiful...will do it again very soon.

Cheers, Lee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Shark Attack XPA put down this morning. 

Pretty simple brew and looks tasty, keen to see how it goes 🙂

What a beautiful thing.... FV in a brew fridge - just make sure your pet cat, dog, or wombat does not start chewing your temp sensor cable!!! 😜

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Border-Kelpie cross?

Just border collie. 

Have two, a male and female and they just had pups actually so now I've also got 6 little buggers getting around hahahaha. 

He would love the chase the wombat 😂

20190504_132728.jpg

20180628_180022.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Just border collie. 

Have two, a male and female and they just had pups actually so now I've also got 6 little buggers getting around hahahaha. 

Gold - such beautiful doggers!

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

Just border collie. 

20190504_132728.jpg

20180628_180022.jpg

My Border Collie is almost 13 and has lost about 50% of her hearing. She is just a great dog despite digging up my garden for the past 3 months😡 

The wife’s new pup (toy poodle) keeps the Border Collie young and she still runs around the yard chasing the pup. 

BB

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

My Border Collie is almost 13 and has lost about 50% of her hearing. She is just a great dog despite digging up my garden for the past 3 months😡 

Must be something tasty in that garden!?!😜

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Gold - thanks for the Recipe John - beaut - will put your Stout/Porter recipe in the archives for a crack in the future John. Sounds lovely. 

Hi BB, I'd up the roasted malt a little if you brew it. Will depend on exactly what malt you use though. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

Well the Pavlova Pale is still stalled at 1020. Upping the temp and giving it a jiggle has failed to stir any movement in the SG.
I'm going for surgery tomorrow and won't have a chance to bottle it for probably a week so I've run the temp back down to 20C to sit for the while.

I managed a Hefewiezen at a pretty steady ambient 22-20C outside the fridge in a ski jacket this week (Melb temps). It will be ready to add a Lemon Myrtle steep to it come Tuesday. I may end up bottling both at once during my recovery.

• Like 2

Today I put down a Royal Pilsner loosely based on the Royal Lager recipe and advice from @ChristinaS1 and @Otto Von Blotto

ROYAL PILSNER

• 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lager
  • 2kg Pilsner Malt (Grains) 65min Mash
  • 200g Carapils (Grains) 65min Mash
  • 70min boil
  • 22g Saaz 10min boil
  • 22g Saaz 15min steep
  • 11.5g Saflager W-34/70 rehydrated

METHOD

• Mashed in 6L @ 63-67°C for 65 minutes (pot wrapped in towels)
  • Sparged in 6L @ 65-67°C for 10 minutes
  • 70 minute boil with 22g of Saaz added for the last 10 minutes.
  • Dropped in a 800g ice-block to get temperature to just over 80°C, then dropped in 22g of Saaz to steep for 15 minutes
  • Removed the hops that were both in mesh balls
  • Dropped in about 8kg of ice-blocks and got temperature to about 20°C
  • Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lager extract into fermenter
  • Strained wort into fermenter  (SG at this time was just over 1.060)
  • Added about 7L of tap water to a total of 23L

OG 1.045 

Pitched @ 20

Into fermenter set @ 12

This process took soooo long.  Using Pilsner Malt Extract would have been so easy.  But I really want to get a taste of using a large chunk of grains.  Both puns intended.

I can see how some people would very quickly switch from extract brewing to all grain.  The time taken for this brew is comparable to all grain.  However, like some of our partial brewers, I do not have equipment with the capacity to efficiently handle around 6kg of grain. 

Admittedly, because it was my first time, I was probably not the most efficient.  Started at 10:10am and finished (fermenter into freezer) at 3:30pm.  Having so much fun I forgot to have lunch, although I did squeeze in breakfast while I was mashing.  I cleaned as I went so did not have a lot to clean at the end. 

All in all. I cannot wait to give this brew a taste.

• Like 7

@Shamus O'Sean I am a firm believer in the amount of time taken to perfect a recipe or brew a beer, the better it will taste to you. 

The recipe and process look really good. I think you are on a winner there. 

Im looking forward to a photo and tasting notes on the RDWHAHB thread. And the tasting notes better be better than this is good! ha ha ha ha. 

Pick the beer apart. look at your notes from the brew day, really think about the beer and take time to taste it. Then if its good but you think it could be better, brew it again with those adjustments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1