Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

On 4/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

So.....I have recently acquired a can of Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lager.  This is about the only Coopers kit I have not tried.  

Cheers Shamus

I have just had GCL in my fermenter - added a Coopers Lager TwoCan type approach - and some LDME - fermented at 14 - and is now in the bottle at around 20 degC... am thinking of leaving it go at ambient circa 20 degC for three weeks... and then putting into refrigeration for a few months at low temp if I can... anyway... early days... but like Shamus - was my first GCL and will have to see how it all turns out... 

• Like 1

Big brewing opportunity post Easter... had some assistance which was great.

As above, bottled earlier in the week my Coopers Golden Crown + Light Dry Malt Extract (LDME) at first controlled cool temp lager ferment...

And backed up quickly w two now on the go: 1) in a Coopers Plazzi Fermenter ambient in Larder  and 2) in SS Fermenter in Brewfridge. 

1) ANZAC STOUT Coopers OS w c. 2.4 kg of LDME and Goldings Dry Hop in 23L Springwater rolling in Larder ambient at approx 18-19.

2) First ever AG Mountain Ale Attempt (??!!) in temp controlled brew fridge w plate warmer for heating, running at 18 and w ferment smelling great. 

(Cannot fit both in fridge - time for a cube?  After my express interest in moving away from plazzi fermenters there may be practical opportunities there... ). 

Fermenter.JPG.aca5f65e54bd435a846544de4aa0e006.JPG

• Like 2

Dark beer time. Used SteveL's EB Porter as inspiration.  Good on you @SteveL 👍

EB rye Porter

EB can, 1.5 Kg Gladfields Ale malt, 0.5kg Rye malt, 0.3Kg Chocolate rye, 0.25Kg Crystal rye.  21 L, Notto @ ambient laundry temperature (low 20's).  OG 1052.

Nice brown colour.  The Notto has taken off like a rocket at this temp.  Life got in the way of packaging up the two brews that I have CC in the fermentation fridge, so doing this one the old fashioned way.  Hopefully no fermentation off flavours will result.  Notto is quite forgiving though in my experience.

Cheers,

Dave  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Koo wee brew said:

Notto is quite forgiving though in my experience.

Despite what you may read elsewhere I've abused Nottingham as high as 24ºC a few times in the past with not ill effects that I could detect.  

I have an somewhat unorthodox bitter fermenting with M36 at the moment.  50% Gladfield Aurora malt and Rakau hops.  Already at 1.014 after just two days and tasting like it's going to be a good 'un...  though time, as always, will tell! 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:09 PM, ChristinaS1 said:
Apparently 3 Floyds Alpha King is one of the best rated IPAs in the USA. I can't get it where I live so have never tasted it. This recipe is inspired by some of the clone recipes on the net, but scaled down to a lower gravity, and to APA bitterness.

3 Floyds Alpha King - APA style

1.7kg Mexican Cervesa
1.3kg Briess Golden Light LME
150gm Caramunich
150gm C60L
650gm Pale Ale Malt
10gm Cascades @ 20 min
8gm Warrior @ 20 min
30gm Centennial @ 4 min
22L 
14 ale/lager blend rehydrated. 

12gm Centennial DH
12gm Warrior DH

OG 1.047 FG 1.011 ABV 4.7% IBU 32 BU:GU 0.70 EBC 14

Apparently 3 Floyds uses Simpson's C60L, but I can't get it. I did a split between Caramunich and Canadian C60L to try to fake it.

Just sampling my first one of these today. Turns out it is not fully carbonated yet but it is a very interesting and tasty beer. The lemon note is less noticeable than it was at bottling time. It is bold and spicy, and palate cleansing; certainly grabs your attention. The recipe has more crystal than I usually use in my APAs but it seems to need it; it seems balanced.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Just sampling my first one of these today. Turns out it is not fully carbonated yet but it is a very interesting and tasty beer. The lemon note is less noticeable than it was at bottling time. It is bold and spicy, and palate cleansing; certainly grabs your attention. The recipe has more crystal than I usually use in my APAs but it seems to need it; it seems balanced.

Cheers,

Christina.

Photo?  Sounds very good...

59 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Photo?  Sounds very good...

Hey Bearded Burbler. Thanks. It is quite tasty at this point. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

I'd like to post a photo, but unfortunately I can't. Technically challenged. 🤣

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hey Bearded Burbler. Thanks. It is quite tasty at this point. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

I'd like to post a photo, but unfortunately I can't. Technically challenged. 🤣

Cheers,

Christina.

... no worries... reckon we can all get a ripper description of what it has come out like from your excellent description!   

I reckon there are plenty of speccy photos out there that might be hiding some pretty ordinary-tasting beers !? 😝 

...  I am thinking of some of mine there - with lack of good temp control and using dirty old dex....  all good to learn from though and once consumed the empty bottles can be filled with something better tasting.  Cheers, BB. 

Chucked the 140g dry hops in my latest two pales today, one is the vic secret V2 and the other is an experimental brew with unmalted wheat for mouthfeel and able to bitter to 60ibus due to the extra mouthfeel. 

Looking forward to both of them 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

unmalted wheat for mouthfeel...

Will be good to hear how that turns out Capitano!

I was floating the possibility for using rolled oats (not malted) in Stout for improving creamy feel at some stage on the forum but from memory there was a general disinclination for that being a good idea?

Sampled the bastard 21L Pavlova Pale Ale today as I took a reading.

6 Days in and it's down to 1020. Ramped the temp to 22 to help finish off.

Tastes actually quite bitter. Almost IPA style. Nice.
Still got that backbone and aroma of passionfruit. But I'm confident it will not be too sweet.

Interested to see how it dries out with the expected remaining 10 SG pts. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

Tastes actually quite bitter. Almost IPA style. Nice.
Still got that backbone and aroma of passionfruit. But I'm confident it will not be too sweet.

Sounds better than mine turned out.  I used double the amount of lactose (by dumb mistake).  Mine is too sweet (but I have still nearly finished them).

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I was floating the possibility for using rolled oats (not malted) in Stout for improving creamy feel at some stage on the forum but from memory there was a general disinclination for that being a good idea?

I use flaked barley for mouthfeel in my stouts, works great. oats can be used as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Slow fermentation if it's only at 1.020 after 6 days. 

Yeah you're right. It is US05 but I'm not too worried about it. Pretty sure heating it up to 22 yesterday kicked it back into gear. Just surprised at how dry it is already.

Thinking maybe I should throw some dry hop in the mix - even though the recipe doesn't call for it. Something to accentuate the passion fruit flavour??

I still have my red ale cold crashing. The fridge is running without temp control as a result of the stupid dog, so I've moved its thermostat to the middle of the range instead of the coldest, to hopefully not have another beer slushie, which happened on the same beer a few years ago. At a guess it'll sit around 2 degrees. 

I'm thinking I'll just leave it in there until I can repair the temp controller (unless it gets moved prior), as I won't leave the fridge sitting there turned off for days with the door shut. If it's left open, the dogs will probably chew the door seal or something. 

• Haha 1

My Bilby Chocolate Porter (ROTM) seemed to stall at 1.020 around the 7th day.  Nottingham yeast, rehydrated.  Upped the temperature to 22 on the 9th day.  Had dropped to 1.018 by the 11th day and today was 1.017.  I was planning to bottle tomorrow, but with this slow drop I guess I should wait until it levels out.

Any real value in cold crashing a porter?

25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I cold crash everything. Regardless of what style I'm making, the less yeast that ends up in the bottles or kegs, the better.

Even when you make your Hefeweizen? 😜

• Haha 2

On 5/1/2019 at 7:07 AM, Bearded Burbler said:

Hi BB. I am going to be trying flaked oats in my next brew too. I have never used them before, not even in a stout. The brew is for my wife, who likes beer but can't tolerate alcohol very well, so it will be ~3.5% ABV (which is probably good for me too, LOL).

I am planning to use 5% flaked oats, which is on the low side. I want to use enough to help with mouthfeel, and to support the bitterness, but not so much that it interferes with head production or makes it hazy. 

Fellas, is 5% likely to fulfill my goal? The beer will have BU:GU ratio of around 0.80.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi BB. I am going to be trying flaked oats in my next brew too. I have never used them before, not even in a stout.

Yeah I have this hand Oat Roller - so you get 'Groats' which are just hulled oats - and then roll them fresh for brekki cereal - usually twice is good... so was thinking it might be nice to try some freshly rolled oats to creamy up a Stout... but saw somewhere that was no good if you were throwing them in  without using them in a full mash process...  was thinking of just like cooking watery porridge and tossing that in... dunno?