Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

I bottled up my stout Monday night into a 6l Tap-a-draft bottle and 500ml glass. Didn't attenuate quite as much as I expected, but there was plenty of crystal and roasted malt in the grist so makes sense. Tastes good though!

Onto my Aramis pils next now that I have 2278 on the fridge. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah if your only using one packet of S23 i think you had no other choice mate other than pitch high and drag it down. I wouldn't have added it dry though. It will get there i have no doubt but without being critical i think you would have been better served with another packet  and rehydrated or a starter and pitched at a much lower temp. 

And yeah S23.. Grrrr

Cheers Greeny... well regarding the S23 debacle mate... was all way way too late...  had bought the pack a while ago from a less-than-festive HBS somewhere in my travels... gotta use it.

But then... I had read the posts (and earlier good advice from this site) and had every intention to do a starter... and unfortunately the exigencies of everyday life worked against me... and there I was... with a lovely FV full of lovely fermentables going...  phhhhhhhhar East.... I forgot to put the Starter on the night before...  so I thought... I just had to pitch and hope for the best... 

Suspect a few baseballers have had the same feeling all alone up there on the mound in the pressure quarter final 😜  .........just gotta pitch and hope for the best ; )

Apologies all the baseball folk as I am more into that strange game called Cricket!?!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BHB19 said:

Check for condensation on the lid that would indicate there is activity hope that helps with the nervous wait/praying😬

cheers hox

Thanks Hox... appreciate it.... there is something going on there I reckon...  here is the Lid Condensation Activity Indication monitoring parameter - hoping that means we are underway!

image.png.c60a123b1827c4c2507ccbce9b11242b.png

• Like 2

Well, started my Royal Pilsner on Sunday

OG was 1.045

Been in fermenter at 12°C.  SG Tuesday night was 1.034, this morning was about 1.028 and tonight around 1.024.  These last two readings were from the sample I left in the hydrometer tube beside the fermenter.  At what point should I increase the temperature to around 18°C.  Previously I think I have left it too late and fermentation has virtually completed, so I have probably missed the benefits of a temperature rise before the end of fermentation.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What is a Tap-a-draft bottle John?  Apologies for my ignorance...

A brilliant device for having home-brewed beer on tap in the fridge without the gear and space requirements for kegging - a bridge too far for a simple home brewer like myself. I've been using my Tap-a-draft setup for years now and love it. They have been discontinued for a while now since I believe the company was taken over. My system will eventually die (although I do have plenty of spare parts), and when it does I'll be back to purely bottling.

http://www.ibrew.com.sg/TAD-Doc.pdf

https://supplies.homebrew4less.com/products/tap-a-draft-homebrew-starter-kit

I have hard copies of the patent applications, which show it to be an ingenious bit of engineering.

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

At what point should I increase the temperature to around 18°C.  Previously I think I have left it too late and fermentation has virtually completed, so I have probably missed the benefits of a temperature rise before the end of fermentation.

Cheers Shamus

Shamus mate I reckon I am with Otto...  let it rise now.

I dunno whether there is a 'too late'... as long as things are not likely to become infected... the rise is just to assist completion of fermentation...  and any di-acetyl conversion is it not you Master Brewers out there?

I have been very naughty and have now consumed three bottles of my 'poor cousin' Golden Crown version which was boosted with LDME... was bottled on 23rd April so prolly should be left a bit longer... and then cool stored for a while... but is already proving to be good slurping... 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd let it free rise now Shamus. It'll take a day or so to get to 18 inside a fridge anyway. 

Thanks OVB and @Bearded Burbler

The timing feels about right.  If I left it until Friday (like I have done in the past), it will still take a while to get up to 18°C.  But by raising it now, it will be there sometime on Friday and have encouraged the yeast to clean up.  Prolly start my cold crash on Monday for bottling the following weekend.

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks OVB and @Bearded Burbler

The timing feels about right.  If I left it until Friday (like I have done in the past), it will still take a while to get up to 18°C.  But by raising it now, it will be there sometime on Friday and have encouraged the yeast to clean up.  Prolly start my cold crash on Monday for bottling the following weekend.

Fermenting freezer drifted up to 15.4°C after 24 hours.  SG around 1.018.  Still got a consistent krausen.

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nothing really.  We'll see what comes out of the woodwork.  Let's just say some members of the Forum have a strong opinion about Magnum hops.

I wanted POR. LHBS guy suggested Magnum substitute. Im a zealous novice 🤷‍♂️ 

Obviously I only dry hopped with Cascade

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zume Brew said:

I wanted POR. LHBS guy suggested Magnum substitute. Im a zealous novice 🤷‍♂️ 

Obviously I only dry hopped with Cascade

I have made an all Magnum beer before and it was fine. Your beer will be fine too.

• Like 1

Gluten Reduced Low Alcohol MACC Ale

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa 
75gm C30L = 2.7%
750gm Superior Pale Ale malt 26.8%
225gm flaked oats 7.9%
300gm Vienna malt 10.7%
50gm acidulated malt 1.8%
5mg Citra x 20 min
8gm Mosaic x 5 min
8gm Amarillo hop stand  x 20 minutes
8gm Citra hop stand
5gm Centennial hop stand
23L
10mL Clarity Ferm
7gm Coopers Ale/lager yeast blend (rehydrated)

8gm Citra DH x 2 days
8gm Amarillo DH
6gm Mosaic DH 

OG 1.033 FG 1.007  ABV 3.8% IBU 25.8 BU:GU 0.78 EBC 6.5

Making a low alcohol, gluten reduced beer for my wife. First time using Clarity Ferm. While expensive, I still saved a few bucks on this batch because I did not have to buy unhopped LME. I have never made such a low ABV beer before. I hear they are a bit tricky to make well. We'll see how this one goes.

Cheers,

Christina

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

So here are two of my finished brews A Coopers Beer pack Raspberry Wheat from a few weeks ago ( with real raspberries as explained in a previous post), taste is very light. Would be nice in summer and a bit more carbonation & an AG Irish dry stout that tastes very close to its commercial inspiration! Sadly I didn’t have any Nitro this time.

cheers

6D7C83BE-0489-4CDF-A9B3-41EAB82998D1.jpeg

• Like 6