Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

21 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Do you All Grainers think that there are some particular STYLES of brew that benefit more from AG rather than KnK(Malt) or Partials?

I have a theory (possibly flawed)... that I would love to have some feedback on.... that the heavier styles such as full bodied Ales, Stouts and Porters could be adequately done with LIQUID malt extracts and augmentation with steeped grains...  but maybe the Lager and Lighter Ales maybe you would get more nuanced excellence from AG... but have yet to test my theory.  Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

I am a partial mash brewer and one of the benefits is being able to use malts that do not typically appear in kits such as Vienna, Munich, Maris Otter, Brown malt, Victory, Biscuit, Special Roast, Aromatic, Melanoidin, etc. So I would say making an authentic tasting English Bitter, or any of the malty German styles (such as Oktoberfest,) requires at least a partial mash, and is probably best with all grain. 

Back when I was making kits with LME and steeping grains only, I had trouble getting good head on my light coloured brews. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Dear KENF... what is this pressure cooker gadget remodelled into a brew-pot?

Yes Greens is correct it’s an old 9 litre keg with a spunging valve. The product tube is slightly smaller so I don’t pick up the trub.

i use it so I don’t have to cool when doing AG - I use it like a hot cube and when the pool was full I would just throw the keg in!

and sometimes with the Coopers Craft recipes that require stuff to be boiled I tip the boil pot into this and then cool with water and sometimes even drop it in the freezer! Just need to remember not to sit it on sensitive things like frozen fruit.

im waiting for my big one to come back from a mate so I can modify it to do the same! It saves water because I don’t need the counterflow chiller! I even sometimes use my Ikegger 10 litre kegs for 10 litre batches!

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 7:17 AM, Bearded Burbler said:

Sounds really good Shamus - really good.  And I just have sampled my first cool-temp-control lager - a Coopers Golden Crown variant - and been very happy.  

What you have done looks great - and fastidious re Temp Control - Wow.  Good stuff. Reckon it should be great.  Look forward to hearing more about it! 

And great we can draw on the experience of experts like Christina and Kelsey!

BB

Thanks for the complement but I am far from an expert BB. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Haha 1

I think the less hoppy beers where Malt and yeast is the taste - AG works!

with partial mash some of the flavours are predetermined- even with partial mash, for example I don’t know what hops are used in the extract and what grains. Partial mash (that’s why I tend to use the Coopers Craft recipes) can add some flavour, but with all grain if it taste like crap I know it’s my fault!

i love recipe development so All Grain works, however the extract kits Coopers put together allow me to taste beers that I would never think of making (afterall it was Coopers that introduced me to Saison for example). Sorry for the ramble but I think sometimes home brewers get fixated on trying to produce commercial clones really cheaply, but there is a whole world of beer out there and I personally think extract, partial mash and All grain have their place! Again sorry about the rave! Maybe one too many Lemon Thyme and blueberry Saisons 😉

cheers

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, kenf said:

Yes Greens is correct it’s an old 9 litre keg with a spunging valve. The product tube is slightly smaller so I don’t pick up the trub.

i use it so I don’t have to cool when doing AG - I use it like a hot cube and when the pool was full I would just throw the keg in!

and sometimes with the Coopers Craft recipes that require stuff to be boiled I tip the boil pot into this and then cool with water and sometimes even drop it in the freezer! Just need to remember not to sit it on sensitive things like frozen fruit.

im waiting for my big one to come back from a mate so I can modify it to do the same! It saves water because I don’t need the counterflow chiller! I even sometimes use my Ikegger 10 litre kegs for 10 litre batches!

Love it KenF. Once i get a few new kegs i will try one of my older ones with some keg kerments. Cut an inch off the dip tube and get a spunding valve. Only have 4 working at the moment so none to try it out 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Love it KenF. Once i get a few new kegs i will try one of my older ones with some keg kerments. Cut an inch off the dip tube and get a spunding valve. Only have 4 working at the moment so none to try it out 

Yep that’s the go mate! I switched to mostly ikegger kegs (10 litre ones) so this was spare, I don’t dispense out of it. I still transfer to another keg using the same Spunging valve setup. It is so I can clear the beer!

anyway good luck mate!

Just now, kenf said:

Yep that’s the go mate! I switched to mostly ikegger kegs (10 litre ones) so this was spare, I don’t dispense out of it. I still transfer to another keg using the same Spunging valve setup. It is so I can clear the beer!

anyway good luck mate!

Yeah id only be doing it with yeasty type beers. Saisons. Belgians. Wheats. Wouldn't be trying it with when i want a clear pilsener. Unless as you said. Transferring underpressure to another keg.

22 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Thanks for the complement but I am far from an expert BB. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Is all good - I really appreciate the expertise on the site... and a bit of the science on the way through is great 😜

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

History says otherwise.

11 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Evidence?

Since you're so persistent on this...

With the advent of the new Coopers website & the data it collects it does make for some interesting reading & comparisons.

BeerlustBlackSandsRep.jpg

I give as much praise & attention to what others do on this forum as I receive in most categories (particularly likes). If I was such a boofhead & full of myself, how did those "Champion" responses given get in there? Interesting given all the great advice you've been given, there's not a single ONE offered in yours!

The facts don't lie. Perhaps try reading a few more posts.

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Since you're so persistent on this...

With the advent of the new Coopers website & the data it collects it does make for some interesting reading & comparisons.

BeerlustBlackSandsRep.jpg

I give as much praise & attention to what others do on this forum as I receive in most categories (particularly likes). If I was such a boofhead & full of myself, how did those "Champion" responses given get in there? Interesting given all the great advice you've been given, there's not a single ONE offered in yours!

The facts don't lie. Perhaps try reading a few more posts.

Lusty.

Lads I am only a Spring Chicken on this website - but I really appreciate the community approach and the banter - and I see both of you have a shed-load of great input to provide to all... so I dunno how to say this... but I would really appreciate if you both park up the blueing and let's move on... I hope I don't pissss both of you off... but I just really like this discussion group... and both of your input... and am hoping we can just keep the ball rolling... move on and just let this thing go.... and let's move on......... waddddjareggin?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Lads I am only a Spring Chicken on this website - but I really appreciate the community approach and the banter - and I see both of you have a shed-load of great input to provide to all... so I dunno how to say this... but I would really appreciate if you both park up the blueing and let's move on... I hope I don't pissss both of you off... but I just really like this discussion group... and both of your input... and am hoping we can just keep the ball rolling... move on and just let this thing go.... and let's move on......... waddddjareggin?

Well called BB. 

• Like 2

WHAT'S IN MY FERMENTER:

So the big dilemma is this - I have in my fermenter a Coopers Euro Lager with c. 1.7kg of LDME (powder) - I had (as documented on the Epic Fail Post) a bit of trouble in getting all into the final Ferment Vessel...  and as opposed to all the SOUND advice I was given to culture up a reasonable Yeast Population using the much maligned Saflager s-23, under duress (why is everyone down on S-23??), I just added the 11.5g of dried yeast to a vat of 25 degC Wort (Coops Con+LDME+Hop Tea) and then put into brew fridge cranking all flat out to bring down to 9.5 degC.... as advised on this forum regards S-23 that might bring the best out of that poor Yeastie.

The FV is Coopers Plazzi with Krausen Collar... bit hard to determine Yeast Activity...  no seal w bubbler.... but am just wondering what the Brewmasters think out there of how my Yeasties might cope being added dry at 25degC.... a vast Yeast Starter maybe 🤔.... plus stirred them in... is that so bad?

So far there is good aroma... and seems to be an ever-increasing yeast sludge at the base... 

Yeah if your only using one packet of S23 i think you had no other choice mate other than pitch high and drag it down. I wouldn't have added it dry though. It will get there i have no doubt but without being critical i think you would have been better served with another packet  and rehydrated or a starter and pitched at a much lower temp. 

And yeah S23.. Grrrr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

WHAT'S IN MY FERMENTER:

So the big dilemma is this - I have in my fermenter a Coopers Euro Lager with c. 1.7kg of LDME (powder) - I had (as documented on the Epic Fail Post) a bit of trouble in getting all into the final Ferment Vessel...  and as opposed to all the SOUND advice I was given to culture up a reasonable Yeast Population using the much maligned Saflager s-23, under duress (why is everyone down on S-23??), I just added the 11.5g of dried yeast to a vat of 25 degC Wort (Coops Con+LDME+Hop Tea) and then put into brew fridge cranking all flat out to bring down to 9.5 degC.... as advised on this forum regards S-23 that might bring the best out of that poor Yeastie.

The FV is Coopers Plazzi with Krausen Collar... bit hard to determine Yeast Activity...  no seal w bubbler.... but am just wondering what the Brewmasters think out there of how my Yeasties might cope being added dry at 25degC.... a vast Yeast Starter maybe 🤔.... plus stirred them in... is that so bad?

So far there is good aroma... and seems to be an ever-increasing yeast sludge at the base... 

Check for condensation on the lid that would indicate there is activity hope that helps with the nervous wait/praying😬

cheers hox

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Are you & BlackSands related?

That's not just a lame empty swipe either.

From taking the time to read both of your posts over quite a period of time you have both experienced similar problems in your home brewing. Problems with the same yeast strains that you then categorize as problem yeasts others should avoid using even though few others have problems with the strain(s). Problems with lack-lustre hop flavour & aroma etc. that you both seem to think small additions towards the end of the boil on top of kit bases will miraculously solve!

You both quote links to brewing research literature to substantiate arguments you are putting forward, but don't even follow much of the practices of the literature you quote yourselves. On top of that you ignore much of the sound advice offered by others (excluding myself here) more experienced than yourselves on this forum that are attempting to help you with problems you are experiencing or ways & methods to improve aspects of your beers you are currently unhappy with.

I find it all quite comical actually.

Lusty.

I'm confused by all this championing, and I'm not gonna get into all that nonsense...

I find AG totally worth the time and effort for me. I enjoy the process, as well as being able to put whatever I want in my recipes. The quality of the beers is better to my palate in that they taste fresher, although it helps that I know what I'm doing 😜. And there's a sense of satisfaction of creating something great from scratch that I didn't get from making kits and extracts. Obviously it isn't the same for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm confused by all this championing, and I'm not gonna get into all that nonsense...

I find AG totally worth the time and effort for me. I enjoy the process, as well as being able to put whatever I want in my recipes. The quality of the beers is better to my palate in that they taste fresher, although it helps that I know what I'm doing 😜. And there's a sense of satisfaction of creating something great from scratch that I didn't get from making kits and extracts. Obviously it isn't the same for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that.

I completely agree here. How ever you want to make your beer is up to the beer maker, I enjoy AG as it filled urge to make it from scratch but that’s with everything I do/make/grow. Plus it tastes great. 

At the same time I really enjoy that others are making great beer for themselves from kits and bits.

As for all of this bickering BS it really does not make me want to contribute to the forum cause it gets me down.

Ease up on the tension and just RDWHAHB. There’s always a way to say things nicer like the whole “downfall” is be better said as a “room for improvement”

Take a breath. Think about the people who can’t afford to make beer or eat food, drink sanitary water, or live without fear that their children may not outlive them. Seems pretty silly now doesn’t it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My current Pale Ale is in limbo atm.

I used MJ's M44 on it. 24-30 hours in & no signs of a krausen forming. In my few brews using the strain it has behaved much like my experiences with BRY-97. Very slow to get going which in most cases has resulted in failed brews as infections often take hold in this lapsed time-frame. I had some CCA yeast I had built up in a starter a few days ago planned for a future brew that I have now cold pitched in an effort to salvage the brew. Hopefully it gets going soon. The longer it takes to get going the more chance it will end up a tipper.

I'll be asking the LHBS for a refund on the M44. Something definitely wrong with it.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Sad 2

I blame the new Champion smiley.  

Aye, enough negativity everywhere else on the web, it’s why I don’t have social media. This is one place where it’s a bunch of blokes and gals who shoot the shit and enable positivity and self learning through their sage advice , words and knowledge from years doing the hobby that myself and a good few others are just starting out on. You both seem like top blokes to me and Captain is right, a rewording of a phrase can make a sentence sound a whole lot nicer than what was intended 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

That's not just a lame empty swipe either.

From taking the time to read both of your posts over quite a period of time you have both experienced similar problems in your home brewing. Problems with the same yeast strains that you then categorize as problem yeasts others should avoid using even though few others have problems with the strain(s). Problems with lack-lustre hop flavour & aroma etc. that you both seem to think small additions towards the end of the boil on top of kit bases will miraculously solve!

You both quote links to brewing research literature to substantiate arguments you are putting forward, but don't even follow much of the practices of the literature you quote yourselves. On top of that you ignore much of the sound advice offered by others (excluding myself here) more experienced than yourselves on this forum that are attempting to help you with problems you are experiencing or ways & methods to improve aspects of your beers you are currently unhappy with.

I find it all quite comical actually.

Lusty.

You make it sound like I have never taken a lick of advice, nor incorporated anything I have ever read. A newbie might read what you say and believe it, which is a bit of a concern to me. The fact is that I make changes to my process on a constant basis, some of it even based on advice from you. 😮 

As for BlackSands, I wouldn't mind being related to him. If I were his teenage daughter, I would not feel embarrassed to be seen with him in public.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

My current Pale Ale is in limbo atm.

I used MJ's M44 on it. 24-30 hours in & no signs of a krausen forming. In my few brews using the strain it has behaved much like my experiences with BRY-97. Very slow to get going which in most cases has resulted in failed brews as infections often take hold in this lapsed time-frame. I had some CCA yeast I had built up in a starter a few days ago planned for a future brew that I have now cold pitched in an effort to salvage the brew. Hopefully it gets going soon. The longer it takes to get going the more chance it will end up a tipper.

At least this brew is up & fermenting this morning. 🙂 I'm far from out of the woods though as I'm not sure yet what is doing the fermenting. It could be one of 3 possibilities. The M44, the CCA yeast, or a wild yeast/infection that has taken hold. I may get some indicator with the aromas being belched out of the FV, if not conclusive, I'll have to wait until it ferments out & taste it to know if it's OK.

I'll have a whiff in the fermentation fridge when I get home from work tonight in the hope of gaining some answers. It's gonna be a nervous week. 😟

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:15 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

Just put this in the fermenter:

Falconer's Flight APA
23L

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa
1.3kg Briess Golden Light LME
150gm C15L = 2.6%
800gm Pale 2-row 20.5%
200gm Rye malt = 5.1%
150gm Malted wheat 3.8%
50gm acidulated malt
20gm Falconer's Flight x 20 min
15gm Falconer's Flight x 10 min
20 Falconer's Flight hop stand  @ 180F x 20 minutes
23L
ale/lager yeast blend slurry from previous batch

22gm Falconer's Flight DH on day 5 x 48 hours

OG 1.050 FG 1.011  ABV 5.1% IBU 34.7 BU:GU 0.70 EBC 6

Using knee high panty hose to contain my hops, in both the boil and the dry hop this time. Boiled them first to remove the dye. Amazing how much dye came out out of them. Four changes of water required!

On the Captain's advice, who said rye is nice with Falconer's Flight, I am using a small amount. Just going with 5% this time round, as I am not sure I will like it. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Just bottled this today. It sat in the cold crash longer than intended due to it being spring here and having a ton of yard work to do, renovating the neglected garden of the house we bought in November.

Bottling leftovers are very tasty: fruity and citrusy, but not grapefruit. Nice and clean and refreshing. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 7