Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

On 5/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

Anyone think the higher rehydration temperature might have impaired the Liberty Bell yeast, allowing a wild yeast to take hold? Or favoured the wild yeast over the Liberty Bell yeast?

Just in case, next time I use Mangrove Jack yeast, I will be rehydrating in the 30-35C range.

Cheers,

Christina.

Doesn't seem likely. They probably recommend lower temperatures so that there's less risk of it getting too hot and killing it rather than 38 degrees impairing it. How long did it take to get going in the fermenter?

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bump up the temperature? I'd have expected it to drop further in that amount of time. My stout went from 1.0855 to around 1.020 in a week.

With M44?? 

I really don’t like the yeast. Next time I will use US-05. I only used M44 because it came with the kit

Just now, MitchellScott said:

I do love a nice lawn not gonna lie. A lot of work goes into it though!

It’s hard to keep it the way I want it with my shiftwork. 

I moved in to this house last year and it looked pretty terrible and I have got it to this stage. I will eventually rip it up and relay new turf. 

• Like 1

Looks way better than my lawn and I'm an ex greenkeeper 😂😂 nah I know how to look after it but the dogs ruined the back yard. Besides the grass itself is crap for the most part, it wouldn't look good even if I did maintain it. I don't find it takes too much time and effort, I basically just mow it regularly, keep it watered and fertilise it every 3 months. 

However, either this or next spring I'll be ripping it up and replacing it with decent stuff, and putting some solid mesh down on it to stop holes being dug up (back yard only). Over a month or two the grass will grow over the mesh/it will get pushed down by the mower I use and it won't be visible, but they won't get through it. After that, I'll maintain it properly. 

As for that stout BB, it wasn't with M44. It was either 1056 or 1469, can't remember now but I'll check my notes later. Probably 1056 though. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Doesn't seem likely. They probably recommend lower temperatures so that there's less risk of it getting too hot and killing it rather than 38 degrees impairing it. How long did it take to get going in the fermenter?

Not long. Pitched at 24C. Fermented at 21C. Krausen was already developing five hours after pitching, and the airlock was going 10 hours after pitching.

Cheers,

Christina.

I don't know about the wild yeast over there but from experience with leaving wort samples sitting around exposed here, it takes a couple of days to get going, so it doesn't seem highly likely to me that it's the issue here. The flavours you described don't really fit it either, but I guess wild yeast varies the same as cultured brewers yeast does. 

• Like 1

My Black IPA is down to 1.020 so I dry hopped it today. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days now and has dropped very very slowly. FG target is 1.016 so I’m almost there. M44 is the first yeast to go on my ‘Never Again’ list. 

I recently took the empty sachet of M44 that failed on my last brew back to the brew shop I purchased it from. It's not my main LHBS, just one I visit from time to time. It's the first time I've ever done this but the brew cost me approx 4 hours of my time & about $35, so I wasn't happy about the yeast failing.

Anyways the bloke there wasn't real impressed at me wanting a refund or replacement & began asking me a series of questions & made claims the yeast had never failed for him. I then explained to him how long I've been brewing for & stated that yeast fails are a rare occurrence, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. The look on his face was priceless throughout our conversation. It was like the blood was draining out of him or something. I wish I had a pic of him. I eventually said to him, "as a show of good faith, I'll purchase something else while I'm here". So reluctantly he agreed & I took a US-05 as a replacement & purchased some hops from him.

Damn! I just remembered, I forgot to ask him for my loyalty stamps!! 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

My Black IPA is down to 1.020 so I dry hopped it today. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days now and has dropped very very slowly. FG target is 1.016 so I’m almost there. M44 is the first yeast to go on my ‘Never Again’ list. 

The usual complaint I read re: M44 is it's very long lag time. 

Curiously my last two brews using different MJ yeasts (M42, M36) have also slowed right down and neither finished where expected.  They've been very good previously though.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackSands said:

The usual complaint I read re: M44 is it's very long lag time. 

Curiously my last two brews using different MJ yeasts (M42, M36) have also slowed right down and neither finished where expected.  They've been very good previously though.  

I have not used these yeasts, but used MJ French Saison on two brews and got them both to 1.006.  Admittedly, the second brew was done with a harvest of the first yeast.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have not used these yeasts, but used MJ French Saison on two brews and got them both to 1.006.  Admittedly, the second brew was done with a harvest of the first yeast.

Yup... M29 has always performed well for me.

• Like 1

Sodium percarbonate at the moment. Getting the fermenter ready for the FWH Cascade ale, starter of 1056 spinning away until tonight, probably harvest it on Sunday then pitch either Monday or Tuesday. Over the weekend I'll attach the new temp probe wire to the controller so the fridge will be able to be used again.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, Beer Baron said:

It’s starting to slow down and looks a bit average

860AFC6D-5FFE-4FBC-8D2E-B6B20AF7F73B.jpeg

How much water are you pouring on this green stuff?

I do like a green lawn... is a beautiful thing... but if you don't live in Innisfail then how much water are you using?

I have to save my tank water for brewing...….

When I came to Perth in 2012 , I had never seen a place so arid. So sandy. Where was the green.   being Irish the country is a blanket of fluoro green but you get used to it and don’t pay much attention to it after a while 

i unfortunately then based my entire assumption of this beautiful country on my Perth experience. 

That was until I went east to rural Victoria , the sapphire coast in NSW and the rainforest jungle that is Byron Bay.  Such beauty

last year I was at the dog park giving my wee kelpie a run off the lead. I got chatting to a man whose dog was playing with mine. He was from Iraq. Real nice bloke. Telling me he was initially a refugee but has since made a real good life for himself here. I thought good on ya mate

he said he remembered coming to Perth , landing at the airport and he marvelled at how green the place was. I had to excuse myself from laughing.  Poor bloke had a hard life but I was thinking what kind of dry sand pit he came from to think Perth of all places was green 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

When I came to Perth in 2012 , I had never seen a place so arid. So sandy. Where was the green.   being Irish the country is a blanket of fluoro green but you get used to it and don’t pay much attention to it after a while 

i unfortunately then based my entire assumption of this beautiful country on my Perth experience. 

That was until I went east to rural Victoria , the sapphire coast in NSW and the rainforest jungle that is Byron Bay.  Such beauty

last year I was at the dog park giving my wee kelpie a run off the lead. I got chatting to a man whose dog was playing with mine. He was from Iraq. Real nice bloke. Telling me he was initially a refugee but has since made a real good life for himself here. I thought good on ya mate

he said he remembered coming to Perth , landing at the airport and he marvelled at how green the place was. I had to excuse myself from laughing.  Poor bloke had a hard life but I was thinking what kind of dry sand pit he came from to think Perth of all places was green 😂

Gold Paddy.... what a great story.

Yes mate it is all about 'frame of reference'.... what is sad and we don't need to get embroiled in a climate change debate necessarily but honestly I reckon where I am the rain has dropped off and it's distribution has got more shitttthouse…. which is unfortunate.  Mate and my zucchinis surviving till mid May... seriously... that is Lunacy... and think they are forecasting 27 deg in Westy (Western Syd) next week?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

How much water are you pouring on this green stuff?

I do like a green lawn... is a beautiful thing... but if you don't live in Innisfail then how much water are you using?

I have to save my tank water for brewing...….

I only use what falls from the sky and what is in my tank

• Haha 1