Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

I don't use a refractometer, my hydrometer is designed to be read at the bottom of the meniscus, but even if it's at the top you can get level with that and still read it. 

I've worked out with mine that the difference between the top and bottom of the meniscus is two points on the hydrometer, so if I have a cloudy sample I read from the top and add 4 points (hydro reads 2 points low). But I read it as close to eye level as I can, as it distorts more when the angle is higher. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers HH - got it in one - yeah I did a long boil... so will hafa see how it turns out.  A quick taste on the SG sample suggests it is quite bitter... but we will hafta see how it turns out with the secondary ferment and a few schpritzigs thrown in ; )

Well, I think it depends on the beer. 

I did an IPA once, hopped with Motueka and Galaxy, bittered with a long boil of Galaxy and fermented with an English yeast strain. I loved the soft mouthfeel and smooth hoppy flavour without much bite. 

Cheers, 

John 

48 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't use a refractometer, my hydrometer is designed to be read at the bottom of the meniscus, but even if it's at the top you can get level with that and still read it. 

I've worked out with mine that the difference between the top and bottom of the meniscus is two points on the hydrometer, so if I have a cloudy sample I read from the top and add 4 points (hydro reads 2 points low). But I read it as close to eye level as I can, as it distorts more when the angle is higher. 

Cool.  This new glassy boy seems a nice bit of (fragile) gear and seems to read spot on in rainwater...

As for brew, I get the cyclinder as level as I can on bench and take a phone-photo as close as I can.  Then put my glasses on, and zoom the picture right in. 

I am not trying to win any HB competitions and it seems to work ok for me. Will have a crack at a 'level read' too. Cheers. BB

28 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Well, I think it depends on the beer. 

I did an IPA once, hopped with Motueka and Galaxy, bittered with a long boil of Galaxy and fermented with an English yeast strain. I loved the soft mouthfeel and smooth hoppy flavour without much bite. 

Cheers, 

John 

Thanks for that John!  Yeah I will need to wait and see what comes out of the bottle in the end before declaring "brewing-bankruptcy" ; )

Am hoping it might work out ok.  It is great to see what other brewers are finding - and I will try some other combinations in the future with Galaxy.

Cheers John.  BB

Saison at 1.008 after 10 days, so about 5.3% which is disappointing. Judging by the wort it looks like it's finished. Had a taste but not sure what a Saison is supposed to taste like! It tastes ok just "different"? Anyway will let it sit until tomorrow then probably bottle or should I let it go for a bit to settle?

1 hour ago, ozlizard said:

Saison at 1.008 after 10 days, so about 5.3% which is disappointing. Judging by the wort it looks like it's finished. Had a taste but not sure what a Saison is supposed to taste like! It tastes ok just "different"? Anyway will let it sit until tomorrow then probably bottle or should I let it go for a bit to settle?

Canna help you OzLiz… no idea of Saisons - but there was a suggestion about ferments parking up and then doing a yeast re-pitch to get things going again... think that might have been with heavier SG brews...  but might be worth considering.... the little I know of brewing I would definitely recommend not rushing into bottling... What temps have you been running at?

What temp did you have it at mate?

Temps were 18-20 did drop a bit below so I moved it into a warmer spot wrapped in a doona so been 20 for the last two days. No rush to bottle, so I will check again tomorrow and probably leave it until Wednesday to bottle. I think part of the ABV "issue" could be that the OG was too low (1.048 instead of 1.064 according to the Brewers Friend recipe).

Edited by ozlizard

5 hours ago, ozlizard said:

I'd let it go a bit longer. It might be done but I am always pretty cautious. I'll have to check the FG of the last one I made. I'm confident it was under 1.008 though.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Popo said:

I'd let it go a bit longer. It might be done but I am always pretty cautious. I'll have to check the FG of the last one I made. I'm confident it was under 1.008 though.

Spot on Popo, down to 1.005 today so will keep it going.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 9:35 AM, Lab Rat said:

I've put down the Yorkshire Square . Only change form the Coopers recipe is I used Nottingham instead of US04. Had solid results from this when I used without temp control so happy my HBS has it back in stock.

What is the ideal temp for this? Coopers say 21C for US, but Notts works at pretty low temps. It's currently on 21 and going off...

This one looks like a fail. Any ideas?

Bottled for 3 weeks now, and so far only 1 or 2 a bottles carbed up. My PETS had a mishap when the box broke, so I initially put it down to some damaged ones. But the swingtops I've opened are barely carbed as well. Did everything right here. All bottles carefully sugared. After a cool week in the garage, I moved them into the fridge and inkbird with a heat pad at 24C for 2 weeks. Still nuthin.

While that's been going on, my Scotch ale has barely 10 days bottling in similar conditions and is good to drink already.

Edited by Lab Rat

Saison has been at 1.005 for 3 days, now at day 13. Must be getting close eh?

Possibly done. Most of the ones I did with belle finished around there. Some a little lower. 

I really hope you enjoy the style 

Edited by The Captain!!

33 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Yeah me too, it smells ok, bit cloudy but that's the style I believe. Well time to get bottling and we will know in about 2 weeks!

Hopefully. It’ll be like nothing you have ever tasted before................probably

Good luck

• Haha 2

Got my Tower 10ipa (style) in the FV at the moment...just about to cold crash...drop the temp down on the inkbird to 4c and closed the fridge.

Took 2 steps away from the fridge back into the cold Melbourne air...and thought why not be a good boy and save some money and just leave it in the cold air.

Should be good in a few minutes hahahaha

IMG_20190731_182014.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

It actually is smart.

You'll likely need to finish it off in the fridge, but for the first overnight after primary is finished, good move Repspec. 👍

I like Karl Strauss beers, so let us know how it turns out.

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:27 PM, Lab Rat said:

This one looks like a fail. Any ideas?

Hey LR - Warm them up and give them some more time.

I recently had a similar situation with an English Bitter.  After two weeks conditioning inside in a gas ducted heated house, the PET bottles had very little pressure in them.  Another brew, a week younger, conditioning in the same room had rock hard PET's.  Go figure?

However, nearly four weeks in the bottle and the English Bitter bottles have hardened up nicely.  I will give a couple a try over the coming weekend.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 5:55 PM, RepSpec said:

Got my Tower 10ipa (style) in the FV at the moment...just about to cold crash...drop the temp down on the inkbird to 4c and closed the fridge.

Took 2 steps away from the fridge back into the cold Melbourne air...and thought why not be a good boy and save some money and just leave it in the cold air.

Should be good in a few minutes hahahaha

IMG_20190731_182014.jpg

If you're p!$$@d (like I am right now) & scrolled back up to this photograph, the FV looks like it's hovering above the ground, & the oil mark on the concrete looks like its shadow.

I'll let myself out...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2