Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

11 hours ago, Gazzala said:

My first extract brew - Neil’s Centenarillo recipe. Added 200g cold steeped Carapils, otherwise followed the recipe.

• 2x Coopers LME
  • 500g Dextrose
  • 200g Carapils
  • 20g Centennial @30
  • 40g Amarillo @20
  • 40g Amarillo @10
  • Nottingham Yeast

Yeast pitched at about 19.5 - currently dropping to 18.

OG 1.041

0C3AE0F0-5350-47F4-B93F-3C6B05014043.jpeg

My Centenarillo is just about done. Will probably cc it tomorrow and give it a week before kegging. 

Smells great so far 🙂

Hopefully it's a good outcome for your first extract brew! 

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gazzala said:

@MitchellScott - What was the OG for your Centenarillo Ale?

I've just looked at Neil's recipe and realised my OG (1.041) is well below his (1.058)...

His is incorrect. There is no way those ingredients equated to 1.058 at 23L.

Mine was about the same as yours but I added an extra 150g of dextrose as I am kegging so it will make up for the 0.4% of ABV that bottle conditioning will give. 

Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You're both incorrect. The recipe ingredients in 23 litres works out at approximately 126g/L of sugars, or an OG of 1.048, which is pretty much what I got when I brewed it. 

The 1.058 is probably a typo. 

That's what Ian h spreadsheet calculated too but I didn't get that high. And neither did Gazzala so not sure. 

I did accidently overfill the FV slightly but it wouldn't of made that much difference. Maybe 300ml overfilled. 

Mitch. 

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 1

My hydrometer is new - I tested it in 20C water and it’s spot on. The sample was 19.5 when measured for the OG.

So maybe it’s the mixing of the ingredients plus the extra 500ml water.

It smells bloody good though - this is my best smelling brew so far.

• Like 1

Been a month or so between brews + I've actually had to start buying commercial beer. 😱

Going back to some recipes I started out with.

Given that it's Lager season, I'm running some BoPils in the ambient garage again.

Just an 87Day can / a 25g Saaz x 15m tea / 1kg LDME and some 2nd gen w34/70. Mixed it up in 45mins before a kid's Bday party on Sunday.

Got me one of those fandangled laser pointer temp guns so am monitoring it morning and night. Life seemed so much simpler without it 😆

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

Got me one of those fandangled laser pointer temp guns so am monitoring it morning and night. Life seemed so much simpler without it 😆

Haha - I got one of those too and I know exactly what you mean 😂 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

Been a month or so between brews + I've actually had to start buying commercial beer. 😱

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh 😱

Well maybe it is not that bad - if you can get some great beer from little MicroBrewers like Rusty Penny in Penrith - their beers have just stood up strong every time I have bought a Growler there... pure Gold... think @Hairy would agree...

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

It is truely the most complicated thing about brewing this particular beer 🤔

I came home after a few days away to find my Larder - w Lager brewing away in there - 11 degC perfect when I left - to be 8 degC on arrival back : (

Hopefully Mr and Mrs W34/70 are gunna be ok?

8 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I would have thought OG would be much higher than that given the ingredient mix. 🤔

How many litres are you brewing?

Lusty.

23l. Went a bit over - maybe 500ml. Otto suggested the ingredients weren’t mixed well enough which could be true.

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

If you can get some great beer from little MicroBrewers like Rusty Penny in Penrith 

I was honestly taken aback by the range at a local BWS.

We are spoiled for choice, if we have the dollars to with which to part.

It is the upside to running out of homies.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

Otto suggested the ingredients weren’t mixed well enough which could be true.

Otto man is right. 😉

If you want a more honest/accurate Original Gravity reading moving forward, make sure to mix your ingredients well to create a consistency in the wort before taking the reading.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

Otto man is right. 😉

Wow. Agreeing?  Surely not 😝

But what I am concerned about is - how close is Otto man.... to Ottoman...  maybe you accidentally put a space in Lusty?

Do you think we could get Kelsey a festive hat in honor of the Ottoman Empire boss?

If I was better at graphics it would have been great to do a pic of Kelsey behind his bar serving with a big festy Ottoman Empire hat on 😋

image.png.fb81beae6f42169670c1b54869566b25.png

14 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Otto man is right. 😉

If you want a more honest/accurate Original Gravity reading moving forward, make sure to mix your ingredients well to create a consistency in the wort before taking the reading.

Cheers,

Lusty.

To be honest I thought I did mix it well enough - but as we can’t really see any other reason for the OG being so low so I’ll accept that I didn’t mix it well enough.

I’ll do better next time 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

To be honest I thought I did mix it well enough - but as we can’t really see any other reason for the OG being so low so I’ll accept that I didn’t mix it well enough.

I’ll do better next time 😉

SERIOUSLY GAZZ.... what have you been thinkin' ?

You definitely need to get yourself one or two of these to make sure you get it RIGHT next time.

Think you would be better off making sure you don't ever have this problem again by getting the more reasonable one on the Left:

Mmmm you might need to talk to SWMBO about getting Three Phase into your shed too... 

image.png.4e1bcdf94b3fbe142dfb265d35208cf2.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wow. Agreeing?  Surely not 😝

We stir each other a lot, but on fundamental levels we agree most of the time. 😎

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...But what I am concerned about is - how close is Otto man.... to Ottoman...  maybe you accidentally put a space in Lusty?

"Otto Von Blotto", loves heavy metal, is skilled enough at playing a guitar, & drives a bus for a living. A real "No Brainer" really. 😉

His profile pic lingers around that visual too without being an exact I reckon. LOL!

On a personal level I have a great amount of respect for his brewing prowess & knowledge.

We joined the forum around the same time, & have spoken on many brewing related subjects over the years that have past. Although we don't agree on everything, there has always been a mutual respect between us despite our differing views at times.

It's real easy to like the bloke. 😎 👍 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 5